Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Exnavydiver 1, Mouse 0

Ok, today I got REALLY bored and decided to do a thorough cleaning. We have a mouse that I have seen twice in the last week, I have a half dozen glue traps around and several snap traps. So far we got bubcus.
So I decided to pull the stair panels off and vacuum down there and I found a small puddle under one of the tabs used to anchor the converter to the floor. Since the converter was installed before the stairs were I had to use a square bit and pliers, not fun. I found that there was a much bigger puddle than I had thought. The bottom of the converter was wet. I pulled it out of the hole and wiped up all the water, maybe a tablespoons worth or a quarter cup. It wasn't much, but it was there. I took a close look at all the connections that are right there and everything appeared to be dry. So I still don't know where it came from. I did dump and flush tanks yesterday and it may be a small leak in the flush line which crosses through that compartment. I have added a few more snap traps under the stairs just for giggles. I have been trying to figure out how the wee beasty gets into the kitchen since the slits in the stair panels are only a 1/4 inch wide and the same for the register. After further looking I think I have found the route it is taking. There is a fair amount of movement in the pocket door and at the back there is a hole for the shower and black flush plumbing to come and go. If I pull the side panel off the service center it would be right behind the exterior connections. Anyway, this is a fair sized mouse or small rat but we keep finding droppings in the dirty laundry and Betsy wants it GONE! I have several traps outside but no luck yet. Any suggestions?.. Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
Sorry can't help with the water, but on your little friend. Try peanut butter in the snap traps. Set the trap so that it takes very little to set it off. Place along the walls in the areas he is traveling, they like to follow the walls. They will only come out when it is quite. Hope you get the little monster.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Big Shot Gun. Sorry, Wayne made me say that.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
John, I know very well that it wasn't Wayne. But thanks for the post. Greg, I usually put a small piece of corrugated cardboard on the trap paddle and add the peanut butter to that. Most times I get snapped before I get it in place but eventually I get it where I want it. The card board adds a bit more weight and the peanut oil soaks into the cardboard so they can nibble on that too... Dave P.S. I want to catch the beasty and dispose of it, so I will trap versus baiting. I DON'T want it to die in the bowels of the rig, pew!
Old 01-06-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think it may be the vacuum breaker in the flush line, under certain conditions, mine expels a little water.
Good luck with Mickey....
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Ozz, that is what I was thinking, so will just keep an eye out for water when I dump next time... Dave
Old 01-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
On the snap traps, I always make sure the cheese or peanut butter is on the underside of the "food tray". One time in an old MH we were using for a field office I woke up to hear many scratch scratches. There were at least two mice in my 5 gallon garbage bucket. When they saw me it was wild bunches scratches and they jumped right out and hid. I was not able to sleep so I devised as way to catch them and it worked. I took the bucket lid and cut a smooth 2" round hole in the center and smeared Peanut butter around underside of hole and put lid on bucket. Then I helped the little guys by putting a few boards as ramps up to the "trap". Sure enough after awhile I again heard that scratch scratch and a jump bump. As I have no affinity to mice I took the whole thing outside in the big lot and made sure they never again bothered anyone. Good luck on your big game hunt.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I like the shotgun idea. Think of the great story you can tell on how you got rid of the little varmint.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:16 PM   #9
n3jxe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4698
Dave,
Beau and Murphy aren't earning their keep. I think you need to
have a talk with them.

Doris and Fred
n3jxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Beau does double duty as a cat, but where has no problem killing mice, rats and red squirrels in the yard and under the rig his huge butt has problems maneuvering around chairs and other furniture. So we have to resort to traps. If he breaks the furniture I have to pay for new stuff, traps are cheaper and of course he hasn't been awake when I saw the varmint... Dave
Old 01-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Navy Diver, Instead of using pliers to pull the screw all the way out. Just use them to break it loose and then use a 1/4 inch socket on a hand driver. Good luck with the varmit.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'd use a .45 Cal, but them I'm a Marine. You Navy types probably ought to stick with the shotgun. John told me to say that.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
ROFLMAO, thanks Wayne, I can believe that of John. I think you are right, the .45 hole will be WAY easier to plug... Dave
Old 01-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #14
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Peanut butter is the way to go. It has been recommended to us by professional vermin exterminators. Had one in Italy and not less than 2 minutes after laying a trap with peanut butter we heard a "SNAAAP!!" No more mouse (or toppolino in Italy).

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:25 AM   #15
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
dryer sheets(bounce) seem to deter the critters from coming around. We put several of them around the Monty all year.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #16
OxyVegas
Established Member

M.O.C. #8523
The peanut butter in the trap is of course the best bait....then place them along walls they travel....but then add a second trap...place the two traps head to head. When the little critter triggers the first trap he jumps back to escape and then sets off the second trap behind him. Works for me all the time.
OxyVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:44 AM   #17
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
.45 is for draining the water out of the canoe if it starts leaking, those electric sonic mouse things they sell at Lowes worked great for us whis year. Bought 2, one in basement & 1 under sink/counter
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #18
Silver Max
Established Member

M.O.C. #3143
We had a mouse in ours when we first bought it. I couldn't really tell where he had been getting in at, but found and plugged every hole I could find. Trapped and caught the mouse. I didn't have any more mice. I was very happy. Thinking I had evidentally plugged off where they had been getting in. The following year,I got another mouse. I went looking again to find where he was getting in at. I knew good and well that I had plugged every hole there was. After a half a day of searching, I found where he was getting in at. He was crawling in the heater duct hose lying in the underbelly, coming up and entering the heater and then into the camper. I covered the end of the hose with some fine mesh brass screen. That was around 2 1/2 years ago, and have had no more mice to this day.
Silver Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #19
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
A number of years ago we were hunting in a cabin in the middle of an alfalfa field. Lots of mice, so we had all the traps set with peanut butter. Worked great. Then the rancher made the mistake of telling us we were welcome to shoot them. Next year, we all showed up with .22's with bird shot. The thought of four guys firing pistols in the dark at scurrying objects sounds scary now. Back then, it sounded entertaining. When we were driving home from the gunshop, Terrie said "now what's this gun for?" I said it was my mouse gun. Never tell your DW that you bought a gun for mice. They think its frivolous. I vote for peanut butter now, especially since Terrie might read this. (.45 would be fun too)
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #20
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
SUCCESS! We saw the beastie last night, and it headed for the couch. We checked the drawer and there was a doggie treat half eaten. We cleaned the drawer and set snap traps in the drawer, one by the end of the couch and one under the first step. I just checked the drawer and nothing, but the one next to the end of the couch had the little monster. I reset the trap and we will hope that after a week or so with no more kills we can remove and stow the traps till next time. Hooray for peanut butter... Dave and Betsy