Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Was that You???
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
We flashed..no flash back

10-23-2008
We were southbound on I-35 in Southern Oklahoma mile marker 70. I think it was just south of Pauls Valley.
Was it a member from here?
Phil

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:46 PM   #2
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Wasn't me! Do you flash at any and all Montana's or only if they have something identifiable with MOC?
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Any and all Montana's including the Big Sky and Mountaineer. 3 flashes and hope for a come back. Sadly to say it hasn't happened to very often that we got a come back flash.
We are all very surprised when we meet Montana owners that have never heard of the MOC but than again when you consider all the Montana's sold in the past 10 years it shouldn't. So as ambassadors, of both the Montana's and the MOC, we have to let every Montana owner we come across know what they are missing.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:32 AM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
I passed a Montana the other day and wish there was a way of flashing them so that they knew I was a Monty owner also. See them occasionally on the road when I don’t have the Monty behind me. Leaves you with an empty type of feeling doesn't it?
Old 10-24-2008, 03:36 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
At a closing speed of 120MPH or better and usually separated by the median by the time you identify a Montana on the other side it is to late to flash. We do not eyeball every oncoming camper for identification..that means we are not concentrating of what is straight ahead. Besides if you have day/night lights how can you flash??? We do not do it....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:05 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Don't know about Fords but on GMs all you have to do pull back on the High beam stick 3 times. I also use this method to flash a passing big rig letting him know it's safe to come back over. Works day or night.
Quote:
quote:We do not eyeball every oncoming camper for identification..that means we are not concentrating of what is straight ahead.
I guess that means you don't read any billboards and you must miss a lot of exits and rest areas.
Reading billboards, just 3 weeks ago, saved me a nights rent at a campground. Coming down I-65 just south of Burmingham AL there was a Suncoast RV billboard. On that billboard it said "FREE CAMPING" next exit. We got off and found Suncoast RV and sure enough they had a brand new, full hookup, with full concrete pads campground. Pulled in spent the night and we were back on I-65 at first light. In the Birmingham area a campground of this quality would have cost $35 to $40 a night. AND YES, we were starting to look for a site for the night. The timing of the billboard could not have been better.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:41 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I've flashed before. Oops! Am I supposed to tell about that! (Just kidding)

I flash a Montana any time I see one. I'm in an SOB, or sometimes in my Saturn Vue, but I'll still flash. I still carry MOC cards with me for anytime I see a Montana parked near me so they can reap the benefits of this forum also.

Everything is a perspective. An example is, and I really want y'all to read this and put it in your mind, "How many motorcycles have YOU seen today?"

You don't have to go purposefully looking for motorcycles or RV's but if you put the thought into your mind you will automatically start picking them out. I don't care where a motorcycle is, riding, parked, being carried in the bed of a pickup - I see it. I see 5th wheel coming from behind, passing in the other direction, or parked in a parking lot next to a highway.

They are everywhere.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:03 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Flashing without a Monty in tow is cruel - It signals a speed trap ahead, or in CO it means wildlife in the road.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:18 AM   #9
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
My dad is a trucker and from the time I started driving taught me about flashing signals for the big rigs. So whenever I could tell a truck might be wanting to pass over into my lane I would slow down enough, thereby slowing traffic behind me enough, then flash twice to let them know I was on to them. They always grabbed the opportunity.

Here, if you flash and you have no big tow or no big rig it means there's a cop waiting in a speedtrap up ahead.
blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We miss nothing.. I have a GPS with a nice voice that tells me when to turn and where the rest areas and campgrounds are. Being a old trucker and bus driver I do flash to let a trucker know it is safe to pull in. Helen can do the rest..When I am driving that is ALL I do. There is enough going on without looking for a Montana on the otherside of the road. When driving 100% of your attention should be on driving.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:52 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
So why is anyone speeding?
Maybe a flash or two will keep the roads safer.
[]
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

So why is anyone speeding?
Maybe a flash or two will keep the roads safer.
[]
Doesn't matter if anyone is speeding Wayne, its a natural reaction of folks to hit the brakes when they think there is a cop ahead and I don't particularly want to maneuver my 12 tons of rig around all the panicking drivers slamming on the brakes because somebody is across the highway in a pickup (or SOB Motorhome) is flashing the lights to oncoming traffic waving their hands at my logo.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:37 AM   #13
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
"To flash, or not to flash...." is a personal decision.

Us?... why yes, we flash.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #14
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by D and M On The Road

"To flash, or not to flash...." is a personal decision.

Us?... why yes, we flash.

We've virtually quit flashing...nobody ever responds.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:20 AM   #15
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I have my CB on a lot of the time.....If I see a prospective MOC member I will go on air on CH 19 and voice out MOC 7790 says hello...if the responses are sans profanity I will consider myself acknowledged..
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:43 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have had a few, very few, return flashes. One, though, turned out to be one of our members. Rickety.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote