Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Dryer Vent Installation

While staying at the Gettysburg campground for the Northeast regional rally, we did our first load of clothes in our new vent less washer/dryer combo. We discovered that the dryer was not a vent less one as previously indicated to us but in fact it needed to be vented.

This is the installation process I did while we were at the campground for the rally. This is not necessarily the best or correct way to install the vent but I thought I would post this as an aid for anyone who needs to cut that dreaded hole in the wall of the Montana. So with that said, I take no responsibility if you mess it up. If you don’t have the skills and/or confidence as a “do it yourselfer”, perhaps you should consider having this done by someone else or a professional at an RV shop!

The first thing we did was to purchase a vent kit from an RV dealership. After that I gathered all of the tools I needed as well as some tape putty and silicone caulking. The only thing I didn’t have was an actual drill bit the same size as the hole that I needed to drill the hole. The wall where I was to mount the vent also had a sticky on the wall indicating it was the wall to use for placing a vent if needed.

I started out by getting the measurements from the floor and the wall as to the location where I wanted the vent mounted. After I found the location where I wanted the hole, I used the inside piece of trim that came with the vent kit as a template to draw a circle. I took a small drill bit and drilled holes around the circle close to each other. I didn’t penetrate the outside layer of the camper side just in case there was some kind of a mistake that would show up later on. With a utility knife, screwdriver for prying and the drill bit I made a hole all the way through the side except for the outside layer as mentioned.

When I was certain I was ready to drill through to the outside, I used a little larger drill bit and followed the circle around, still drilling from the inside. I placed masking tape around where the hole was going to be on the outside as well as around the hole I already had on the inside. With a saber saw I carefully cut the hole from the outside. At this point I checked the hole to fit the vent and trimmed away any edge that was uneven or not smooth. The hole wasn’t a perfect circle but if needed the out side cover would hide the mistakes.

[img] http://www.southshorechurchofgod.org/05310803.gif [/img]

The next thing I did was to dry fit the vent and make certain it would fit properly once I added the tape and caulking. After being confident of the fit, I drilled four small pilot holes for holding the vent to the outside. I then placed some tape putty around the hole so it would cover all of the area under where the vent would be installed. I also placed some silicone caulking on the inside of the hole before sliding the vent through the hole.

[img] http://www.southshorechurchofgod.org/05310804.gif [/img]

After mounting the vent I removed the extra putty cleaning around the vent. I also put some silicone over top of the screws.

Quote:
quote:
Edited for spelling.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Bill,
After seeing the end result and hearing the installation saga at the rally, the pictures provided clarity to what you told me. You are now a member of a limited elite sub-club of the MOC. Welcome to the ranks of the brave souls who have intentionally put holes in our Montanas!!!! Ha!
Bingo
On edit: "Sue" said hello. Her mother is doing fine after the surgery and is recuperating at the hospital.

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Glad to hear that Cathy's mom is doing good!
Old 06-04-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good job!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:44 AM   #5
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Good job Bill. It can a very unnerving cutting a hole in the side of the Montana. I have installed two vents and was just as cautious with the second as I was with the first one.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:23 AM   #6
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
You are a brave man. I am terrified to nail or cut anything on the montana.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Bill, I can see it now, Bill and Ozz's Repair Shop!
That looks like you did a terrific job on it! I was lucky enough to have a friend cut the hole with the correct hole cutter.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote