Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2008, 11:49 AM   #1
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Broke leg pin

Well, I really did it today.

While lifting the rig to change a rear tire on drivers side, I got to a point where I put so much pressure on the front leg, passenger side, that it broke the pin on that leg. I didn't realize this when it happened, but after I got the tire off and put the jack back down the passenger side jack is sticking up in the air several inches. Now all the weight is on the one leg. I do not know if I can lift the front up to get it under the truck, don't know what will happen if I try to raise the landing gear. Don't know if the rig weight will be supported by the one leg long enough to raise it to hitching level. Any ideas on how I can get out of this dumb mess I've created?

Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Jim,

Sorry to hear that. I wouldn't have thought it would happen.

My suggestion would be to use your jack so support the leg and focus on replacing the pin instead of trying to get it back onto the truck. If something lets go, it would be a shame to get that pretty black Ford involved as well.

I helped a neighbor last summer replace both pins in his Bighorn after he sucked them up into the frame with those short landing gear legs on the Z-frame (the same one Montana went to for 2008 Anniversary Edition )

Good Luck!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
You might try a 12 ton bottle jack on the bad side? Have someone raise good side as you raise bad side. Please be extra careful though. I would only attempt this on a solid, level surface.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Thanks Brad and Phil. Today I did get the rig level and have the front end supported at the frame by the broken leg. Got the Mission tire repaired, leak at the valve stem. Keystone said the valve stems for alum wheels are not having a problem so they will not replace it. My dealer offered to but I just took it to the nearest tire dealer. When I replaced the tire I torqued the last nut a hair too much, either broke the nut, the stud or stripped the nut. I can't get the nut off. it just turns freely. I think I should be ok to drive to the dealer with that problem unless anyone thinks I should not. The leg pin did not shear off, it bent over and is partially sticking out of the hole and bent downward. I managed to break it off but now can't get it out of the hole. I'm thinking that tomorrow I will try to drill thru it and perhaps get it loose that way. Once I do I will regain the use of the landing leg and can use an ordinary bolt until the part is in.

Obviously I am mechanically challenged. Can't even change a tire without a problem. In future I will leave as much of the repair stuff to the dealer as I can. I don't know how some of you guys do it, especially guys like ozz.

Thanks again for the advice.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
FWIW, I was told by the head of service (our local Keystone dealer), that each landing leg is designed to support the entire weight of the front end. I asked because I saw a Montana with one leg on the ground and one in the air - it was bent while hooking up, without chocks.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote