Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2008, 04:48 AM   #1
msieger
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7838
North East RV trip

Hey all need some help here. We are planning a trip to the northeast this summer. Kids want to see New York City, Elaine wants to see Boston, and I want to see Gettysburg. I'm thinking that if we stay sorta halfway bewteen New York city and Boston that way we can just day trip/ take a train. Any suggestions of where to stay, how to get to the city etc will be very appreciated.

Mike

msieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:06 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
All I can say is that it is a 4 hour drive from new york to boston and new york to Gettysburg is about 4 hours also. I would check with AAA on somthing between NY and Boston and you will have to move for the Gettysburg part of it. I have been down near Gettysburg and the highway system is so-so. Sorry I can't help you more.

P.S. Isn't there a MOC rally down near Gettysburg this spring? Or do you already know that...
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
to give you a place on the map, Hartford, CT is approximately the half way mark between Boston and NYC. There are at least 10 campground around the Hartford area.

I believe that there is a campground in or around Sturbridge Village, Sturbridge, MA. The Village in itself is a must see for you and the kids.

There is Wells State Park on MA-49 between Sturbridge and E. Brookfield. That would put you about 60 miles from Boston, but 150 from NYC

Connecticut has tons of state parks. If you REALLY must be 50/50 from NYC and Boston, I'll give you a list of parks in the Hartford area.

It is 160 miles to NYC.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:02 AM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
msieger...here's some input from our area here in Mid-Hudson Valley;
Campground to NYC = 1 hr 50 min 87 miles
KOA http://www.koa.com/where/ny/32102/ Ok place use it as our seasonal shutdown weekend
http://www.lazyriverny.com/ Nice campground but expensive
Easiest method to go to NYC is Metro North...stations along East side of Hudson River Beacon closest.
Maybe someone on the NJ side has suggestions?
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:23 AM   #5
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
We made the New England trip two years ago. We stayed up near Poukeepsie (sp) and stayed at a KOA and took the train into NYC. There is also a KOA at Woodstock. We then went over to Mystic Connecticut (can't remember the campground right off hand) and visited the sights in Connecticuat and Rhode Island. We followed by driving to the northwest side of Boston where we stayed at Minuteman Campground. We drove to the subway station near Lexington and took the subway into Boston. Traffic was heavy driving to the station, but it beat trying to drive into Boston.
msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote