Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
Paul Severson
Established Member

M.O.C. #2677
Looking for campground in Chicago area

Does any one have a good campground around the Chicago area? Willing to take the train into the city for sightseeing. Preferably in the north end of the city.

Paul Severson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Paul have I got a deal for. There are not many cg around Chicago, however if you go a little further north to Waukegan, which is just north of Chicago. You will find a state cg next to the lake Michigan. The cg is located just north of Waukegan. Should be open year around. Lots of sites. Water is available but not to coach. Electric is avsilable to coach. They do have a dump station there. Cost is 20. American.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Oh I forgot there is train service into Chicago from downtown Waukegan.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:43 AM   #4
Paul Severson
Established Member

M.O.C. #2677
Thanks, will look into it for the trip in September.
Paul Severson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:29 AM   #5
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
There is a private Campground called Pine Country Resort, part of Outdoor World Resorts. It is located near Rockford north west of Chicago. They are taking overnighters now for a nominal fee. They have full hookups, pool etc. Were members and stayed there last year. The train is just a short distance away. Thats what we did. Call 1-800-528-5540 for more information.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
That is the worst area for campgrounds that we have ever seen. We swore never to take the Monty there again. Can't find a campground and spend a fortune in tolls finding out that you can't find a campground.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:43 PM   #7
Dick n Marie
Established Member

M.O.C. #58
There is a county campground in Elgin,Il. It has electric and water but not sewer. There are large sites,great hikeing trailes.and a Metro station about a mile away that runs into Chicago. I beleive last year it was $13.00 a night. If your interested in more info and directions from I90 e-mail me.
Dick n Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 02:11 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We stayed out in McHenry County, near Marengo. Nice campground, very pretty landscape. Cannot remember the name, but going around Chicago to get there was as Adelmoll points out not much short of nightmarish!

No, you can make that nightmare! (3.5 hours, plus coin to get around on the pay roads - thank goodness we had full tanks of fuel, everyone had gone to the restrooms and had had food just before we got in that mess!)

We suggest dropping down towards Bremen, Indiana, over to Kankakee, Illinois, north on 47 to the west side of Chicago. I have no idea if there were buses or trains or whatever to Chicago from the campground at Marengo, we were not interested in Chicago activities, but rather McHenry County. Yep, it is a long detour, but the only way we will ever get around the windy city in all future.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 03:42 AM   #9
Dick n Marie
Established Member

M.O.C. #58
Elgin county park is about 2miles off I90. If you want to drive into Chicago about 30 miles is not bad except if there is construction. Meringo is another 20 miles west and there are no trains going downtown and there are no closs interstate hwy.
Dick n Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 06:22 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We were only about 2 miles off I 90, we could hear the traffic, in fact, I believe I remember we could almost see a toll booth???? You are right Dick n Marie, I don't remember ONE thing about any train service, etc to downtown Chicago, wonder if you could drive from Marengo to a station, park the truck, get on the train and go into downtown that way???? Did that once in Boston, it worked pretty good!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote