Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2005, 03:34 PM   #1
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Campground costs per month or longer?

We are still working and never stay at a campground for more than a week but are trying to plan for our extended stays when we retire. Can you give me some idea of what the average cost per month would be at places you stay? I am not interested in slums or in RV Paradise Resorts but good clean quiet parks with decent sites. So far we have paid between $30. to $50. a night but how much would that change if we were getting monthly rates?

Thanks.

snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:34 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
A lot of this depends on what part of the country you are in. We've paid between $600-$700 per month. But that is on the West Coast. I believe you can do a lot better in other places. Some CG do not have monthly rates or limited times for monthly.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:31 PM   #3
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Wow, those are some high prices. We are spoiled in Oregon. Our state parks with full hookups rarely cost more than $20 per night and even the private parks are under $30 for the most part. I have heard monthly quotes in the $300-450 range. We better make sure we do our homework when we finally head east.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:30 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Snowbunny

consider asking for WEEKLY rates too! We get them frequently. And, one of the states we got them was Georgia. pay for 6 days, get one free. You might be able to save some coin before you retire.

We paid $550. a month for premium months in the Rio Grande Valley and that was HIGH!!! Full hookups, cable, cable modem, full concrete pads. Have to pay your own electric bill tho. There are sites in that area that run much lower, possibly half. I believe we will be paying about $414. a month this year, again, for 3 premium months, Jan, Feb and Mar. This park has free WIFI, as well as full hookups, and paved site pads. Still have to pay the electric.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:10 AM   #5
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
We have gotten weekly rates (pay for 6 get 7 days) at Camp Hatteras but that is still only 15% off the daily rate. Most of our camping has been in North Carolina's Outer Banks where land is at a premium and campgrounds are few and far between. Maybe that's why the rates are high compared to what seems to be the norm. Once we retire we intend to spend 4 or 5 winter months down south somewhere between Florida and Arizona. I imagine the first year we'll travel around a lot finding the areas we like best and then start spending more and more time at our favorites.

When we go this year we'll make a point of asking for monthly rates wherever we go so we get a better idea.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:13 AM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Love those Outer Banks! My gramma lived and died there. One of my fav places, only have camped over at Manteo one spring, never have been able to get away to camp there in the summer. On the wish list to do sometime!
Old 08-23-2005, 08:01 AM   #7
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Hi Al and Carol,

We usually go spring or fall (April or October) the weather is cooler and there are fewer people. If you are happy with dry camping the Oregon Inlet Campground is spectacular and costs (I think) $16.00 a night. There is also a nice one at Ocracoke that we may try this year if I get up the nerve to load our Montana on the ferry!

We usually stay at Waves (for windsurfing) in either Camp Hatteras or the KOA next door.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:11 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Been to Ocracoke on the ferry, but just with a truck! Island is very cool!

The Oregon Inlet Campground, how dry is dry?? Power, or not??? Dumpstation and water available??
Old 08-23-2005, 09:19 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree those are high daily rates. Most parks have monthly rates but not all. Those that don't most often seem to be in high tourist traffic areas where they can keep the place full with the daily and weekly crowd.

The most we have ever paid for a month is $600 and that was in Gatlinburg, TN, next to Pigeon Forge. That was at Twin Creek RV Resort. The daily rate is around $35. All utilities were included in the price.

The park we are in now has a daily rate of 21.67. For 31 days at the daily rate that is 671.77. We're paying 350 for the 31 day month. Utilities included.

One park we saw awhile back was 20/night, 120/week, 225/month plus elect on the monthly rate.

For Jan/Feb of this year we stayed two months at the only RV Park on Tybee Island, next to Savannah, GA. We paid 318 per month including all utilities and free wifi and cable.

Next Jan/Feb we're staying the same place as Countryguy in Mission, TX and paying the same $414/month plus elec with full hookups, free wifi, free cable.

There most definitely are savings for staying a month or more if your travel style allows for that. We try to stay a month at our destination areas unless we just don't feel we can fill that time. But then, we like to have days off, too, like today. I have a couple of things to do outside today but otherwise am using the day to catch up on MOC, processing pictures for Vicki's postcards, etc. Maybe some reading. Tomorrow, back into Yellowstone.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 04:41 AM   #10
BlackLab
Established Member

M.O.C. #2305
Just thought I'd add Elite Resorts at Salt Springs, FL to the list of nice spots. Monthly rates run $400 month and that includes all utilities, WIFI, all park amenities, concrete pad etc. The park is in the Ocala National Forest -- you have the camping experience yet still within one hour drive to Daytona Beach, Orlando, and Gulf coast. People here are the nicest I have ever met. Check it out on our website below. Hope to see you there!
BlackLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:07 AM   #11
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
We were looking for winter spot. And so far found it in Del Rio, TX. Lonesome Dove RV Resort. $225 mo or $200 mo if stay 6 mo. + elec. Verynice park, old western town motif, paved roads, large landscaped lots about 55) all pull thru, 72 channel cable TV, phone hookups at all sites, patio w/picnic table, privacy fences and Nov. thru March every Friday potluck dinner with owner/manager providing the meat (they live in the park). Example last Thanksgiving he fixed 3 Turkey 3 different ways..delicious. Very neat & clean park and people are so very friendly. No children except as guests over winter months. We tried Apache Junction one year @ $240 mo. but come Jan 1 rate increased to $270. Too many people & traffic is terrible. Also, stayed at Lake Buchannan, TX very very rural park, $190 mo. + elec., cable limited to 6 stations. Lots of wild life. Closest shopping area is about 40 miles at Marble Falls.
We are always on the look out for something as nice as we presently have, but so far haven't found it.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:26 AM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Our reservation at Elite Resorts (Salt Springs) for one of the cabins was cancelled because they are selling the cabins. They were also selling the RV sites so I don't know what the opportunity will be for winter camping there. It looks like s nice place but we won't be there.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:09 AM   #13
texdeano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4480
Send a message via Yahoo to texdeano
WE have been staying at the Lafloresta RV Park about 4 miles north of Mercedes,Tx the last 4 years and the 4 month rate was 265.00 per month+ electric.It was only 35 amp.which is sometimes a problem.There is also a 3 par 9 nine golf corse for a real good seasonal fee.I look for the price to increase a little,but do not know if it will.We are going to Az.this year with 6 couples that we sort of travel with and the park there is about the same price but I don't think it has as much to offer.
texdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:23 AM   #14
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Just did a quick calcualtion and we are AVERAGING $16.50 / day for "RV parking" since Jan '04 as "fulleimers". In the last 6 months of '03, it was around $25 / night, but we were in the "scurry around" mode. Hadn't learned to take our time yet. This past year, we have stayed at a few (very few) Passport America, AOR, C2C (Coast to Coast) and military FAMCAMPS. There are equivalent "deals" at lots of places.

When you travel from area to area, try to do a week instead of a couple of days in enroute areas. For example, we spent a week in each place: Tucson, Dallas, Shrieveport, Pensacola and Panama City, while heading from Calif to Eastern Florida. Sure..it took a month and half, but we got to really experience each place, and there is no hurry!

If you find an area you want to use, shop around by phone at the various RV parks you weed out from Woodall's, Trailer Life or whatever you use as Directories. In general, weekly rates are better than daily, and monthly rates even much better. Try visiting during the "shoulder" seasons, rather than prime time. Now, if you HAVE to see, for example, the Fall colors in Vermont, you will pay full freight, if you can even find a place to stay. Supply and demand....

Good hunting!!
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 04:11 PM   #15
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
We spend Jan - March in Mission Tx. for 3 mos comm. last yr 192.00 this yr 200.00 + elect. nice Park.Will be our 3rd season there.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:38 PM   #16
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Gene, if you dont mind what is the name of that park for 200 mo.?
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 03:10 AM   #17
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Bill it is Blue Bonnet on Bentson Palm Dr. If you ned it I can find a ph.#.
Gene
Old 09-30-2005, 04:35 PM   #18
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Gene, Yes what ever you can tell me about the park, I cant seem to find them anywhere. How did you find the place, they are not listed in Woodalls or Trailer Life.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:37 PM   #19
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
http://www.bluebonnetrvpark.com/ Bill this is the Web Site for them hope this helps.
Gene