Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
To Sweep or Not to Sweep . . .

We are wintering in New Jersey and, yes, there will be snow. In fact, we just experienced our first Nor'easter.

Dave went up on the roof a few times to sweep off the accumulated snow.

Question is . . . to sweep or not to sweep?

We are concerned that repeated sweeping, however gentle one might be, may over time scratch or otherwise injure the roof surface.

On the other hand, we are reluctant to let a large amount of snow accumulate on the roof due to weight. Jersey snow is gonna be wet, heavy snow.

Thoughts?

Well, thoughts besides, "Get the heck outta Jersey and head to Texas!"

Thanks!

Betty

TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There is no way that I would get up on a slippery, icy, snowy roof in the dead of a freezing winter to remove snow from the roof. That would have to be a very unsafe situation. In support of not sweeping, I would offer that the roof will support multiple 200 pound bodies over a couple of square feet that the weight would transfer to. I would hope that you would never get a snow accumulation that would approach that. I have never swept the snow off the roof and we have had a couple of feet on it with no adverse effects. Just my thoughts.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Snow ????? (from Tx)
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Sine we leave NJ at the end of December I always go up and sweep off the snow so It's snow free when we leave. Not a problem with sweeping with a broom. In fact it's probably easier on the roof than when you scrub to clean it. You have to get it off before it freezes. Just use common sense not getting too close to the edge and be sure of your footing. Have never fallen. That said if I was staying until spring...I wouldn't do it unless there was a very large accumulation of snow.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I would be more concerned getting on the cold or possibly frozen roof than I would worry about the snow. Our Monty went thru a winter and a half in the Western NY Snow belt without any problems. When we left in Feb for warmer weather there was about a foot and a half of that nasty white stuff on the roof
Old 11-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Our unit has spent many a winter in Erie PA no roof problem as others no way would i get up on the roof to sweep Snow!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I would be more inclined to use a ladder and squeegy off the snow periodically, but mostly if I'm going to retract the slides. The slides should be able to handle the weight and drain any snow melt, but branches, leaves and other stuff will stick to the snow that I'd want to sweep it off prior to slide retraction. I don't think occasional sweeping is harmful any more than using a squeegy unfortunately as many have already posted, it seems you are worried about the wrong thing.

I have read that others get up on the roof to make repairs, check things, in more of an emergency situation when there's snow or ice but I guess there should be great concern about slipping and falling. If I felt a need to remove the snow then I'd use a ladder and avoid climbing a roof in snowy or icy weather.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487

Well, thoughts besides, "Get the heck outta Jersey and head to Texas!"

Thanks!

Betty

Betty, Forget Texas for now. Come to Quartzsite first.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:19 AM   #9
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Before purchasing our first new to us Monty this year, we knew that it stayed out on the dealer lot all winter here in Ohio, with all slides open. This was a terrible winter, including layers of snow and freezing rain on its top. Dealer said no problem. And sure enough, things were fine when we picked it up in the Spring. Slide toppers were overburdened but dealer said no need to clean off, camper topside could easily handle the load. I personally wouldn't risk sweeping off roof. I would think it would add to insulation?
Old 11-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I wouldn't be concerned about sweeping off the snow when I got up on the roof, I'd be more concerned about stepping on the edge of a skylight and cracking it thus careating a leak. I'll be heading South hopefully in January from Nebraska and I do plan on getting up on top before we leave to get come of the snow off the top if any has accumulated. I will be using a broom instead of a shovel also. There are some States that have laws about snow coming off the top of the trucks and campers and coming down on the road or onto/infront of other vehicles on the road with you just to let you know but since you will not be moving the rig that does not concern you! I've had our unit out in the open all winter, uncovered, long for three years now and had no problems, of course we do not heat it and there is no melting unless it comes from the sun itself. If you are living in it, I would be a little concerned about the heat from inside radiating up and causing ice to form, if there is a lot of snow on top! Then there would be a problem climbing up there with ice under the snow! Not my pot of tea for sure! Keep us informed on what you do and if you keep it cleared. Good luck with this winter up there also.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #11
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
We did experience snow in our travels last year, and Dave got up to sweep the roof when it was safe to do so.

Ice buildup on the roof could be a concern as well as the amount of snow.

We will play it be ear (as one has to do so often when full-timing!) and try to keep not only our roof safe but ourselves as well.

We do have a rolling platform that we may be able to use so we don't have to actually get on the roof . . . just roll the platform ladder thingie over to the rig and remove the snow without being on the roof.

Again, we will just have to see how things go and hope we don't get all that much snow.

Cheers for all the responses!
TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:51 AM   #12
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I would never get up there with snow & ice. Dealerships & manufactures don't. I hate gettin up there when its nice out.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
We get more than our share of snow up here in northern NY and I never clear the roof unless I'm getting ready to use the rig. My local dealer usually has 30 or 40 units on the lot over the winter and he doesn't clear the snow either. I've seen over 5' of snow on top several times with no problems. This year I've stored my rig in Carlisle Pa. so I hopefully won't have to deal with a winters worth of snow on top when it's time to head for Florida in mid March.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote