Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Water heater anoid FYI

My AC switch went out on my water heater and I had a service man find that out for me, he mentioned that the water anoid rod should be made of magnesium and that the aluminm type were the wrong ones to use with the 10 gal Suberban heater I did not question his statement and hope he was right.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Hey Don, was that the original water heater or have you replaced it? Since we have the same units maybe I should look into that also! Where do you buy the magnesium anode rods?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:47 AM   #3
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Magnesium should last over a year - if it does not, Suburban recommends Aluminum as it reacts slower and should only be used where a Magnesium anode does not last one year.
Generally, magnesium rods are hard to find & cost more..............

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Don,
We have the Suburban 10 gal water heater on our 2008 3400.

In August 2009 I emailed Suburban on the two anodes - Magnesium and Aluminum and here is what I received for a reply, quoted here in part:

"...All Suburban water heaters are manufactured with a magnesium anode rode. The Magnesium rod provides sufficient protection against a broader geographical range of water types that most RV'ers will encounter in North America."

The email went on to relate that heavy mineral laden water types that are found in the desert southwest and in many well water supplies will prematurely consume the magnesium rod. In that type situation Suburban recommends an aluminum rod as it has a slower consumption rate allowing it to last longer.

So, my conclusion from that was Magnesium anode generally has a better consumption rate and therefore recommended overall.

I order my Magnesium Anode rods from www.americanrvcompany.com. I am sure they can be found elsewhere with a search.

Hope this helps. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mail2us

Don,
We have the Suburban 10 gal water heater on our 2008 3400.

In August 2009 I emailed Suburban on the two anodes - Magnesium and Aluminum and here is what I received for a reply, quoted here in part:

"...All Suburban water heaters are manufactured with a magnesium anode rode. The Magnesium rod provides sufficient protection against a broader geographical range of water types that most RV'ers will encounter in North America."

The email went on to relate that heavy mineral laden water types that are found in the desert southwest and in many well water supplies will prematurely consume the magnesium rod. In that type situation Suburban recommends an aluminum rod as it has a slower consumption rate allowing it to last longer.

So, my conclusion from that was Magnesium anode generally has a better consumption rate and therefore recommended overall.

I order my Magnesium Anode rods from www.americanrvcompany.com. I am sure they can be found elsewhere with a search.

Hope this helps. Dennis
Thanks for that information Dennis much better than the service man explanation, I met
Old 05-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks Dennis! I'll check out American RV Co for the anodes also! They seem to be cheaper than I can pick them up around Omaha here anyway!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote