Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2011, 01:21 AM   #1
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Red Gas Regulator

Could someone tell me the purpose of this regulator. With this regulator, when switched to this tank the indicator showed half red and half green, not enough pressure to push it to all green. I removed the regulator and the problem was solved. It does not make any sense to have 2 regulators inline with each other. My 04 3400 did not have this additional regulator, what changed?
Bill

William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
OK.. do not quote me on this,, its a memory thing and I recall most of the info....the original red regulator was 13 lb..and would be over powered by the higher pressured tank setting.. the regulator would fail..and leak...thus they have now developed a 30 lb regulator to replace it.....the reason.. as I am told..the gas run from the Driver side tank across to the 2 stage regulator is too long, the liquid gas would attempt to cross as a liquid rather than as a gas..once that happened things wold get screwed up and broken.. the new 30 lb regulator is supposed to stop that.. it is not so much a regulator as a diffuser or vapouriser.... that is basically the way it was explained to me.....hope this helps..
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:38 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I believe the red regulator was installed after the new anti leak valve was installed in the tanks. If the tank "top valve" dispensed too much propane upon opening it would shut off by activating the internal safety valve. With this in mind the line between the "FAR" tank to the switch was long enough to activate the anti leak valve in the propane tank if the top valve was opened to fast. The regulator was installed to slow down the opening flow and then this problem developed. Many folks have replaced the red regulator with a high quality but expensive one.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

I believe the red regulator was installed after the new anti leak valve was installed in the tanks. If the tank "top valve" dispensed too much propane upon opening it would shut off by activating the internal safety valve. With this in mind the line between the "FAR" tank to the switch was long enough to activate the anti leak valve in the propane tank if the top valve was opened to fast. The regulator was installed to slow down the opening flow and then this problem developed. Many folks have replaced the red regulator with a high quality but expensive one.
That is exactly what I was told by a service man from Camper Clinic (Montana dealer) here in Rockport. The red regulator (18 PSI) on our unit failed, and with none available, I repiped the line without the regulator. I now have to valve in that tank extremely slow to avoid the tank safety valve slamming shut. We've been using the propane for over two years like this, without any problems other than opening the valve slowly.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I bought the better regulator from makariosrv.com for something under $40 after my original one started leaking. No problems with the new one.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote