Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Very small amp draws, calculating electrical loads

For your Inverter and generators you need to plan your electrical usage and all the loads.
Many of your electrical appliances, heaters, TV's and so on have a measurable amp. draw, or the amount of electricity they use. They will have tags that state that information.
Smaller loads, clocks, small fans, radios, things with a cord to plug in may not, or you have to do the watt/amp calculations if they do.
In the trades we often use what is called a load multiplier, or a dozen other names across the country.
I will show you how to make one yourself.
You will need an amp meter, jaws that clip on a wire. Sears has a great one that measures 12 volt power with it's leads,(you can check a battery, by touching the posts with the leads) and measures 12 volt amp. loads with it's little Jaws.
You will have to have a tiny bit of handy-man knowledge for this, but not too much. It takes about 3.5 feet of wire to coil into a small circle, but coil it 10 times for the multiplier. Just wire in a male and female plug you can get at the hardware store. Wire nuts or butt-splices for the coiled wire, or wire it into the plug.
I have a picture here. You will be working with small loads, so you don't need a heavy wire. (everything that draws 5 or 6 amps or more will have the nameplate with it's power information on it.) The smaller loads probably have it too.
Hope this helps.
Amprobe

This is a way to accurately measure the amp draw from small loads. Take a wire and wrap it 10 times, take a reading on a 2/10th amp load, it reads 2.0 amps on your amp meter. Obviously you need to wire in the end caps.
This is about a 16 ga. wire, the big red cord is a 12 ga. wire.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
OZZ, you refer to 12 volt power. AC? DC? I'm just curious. I've never seen a clamp on meter that will read DC current. Of course, I ain't seen everything.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yea, that is the great thing about the Sears little meter, it measures 12 volt DC amps.
I think my Flukes do a s well, I have the true RMS Fluke pictured, (Expensive, let a sales guy talk me into it) and my regular Fluke.

Fluke 337A 1000A AC/DC True RMS Clamp Meter Overview
$274 online
Handy 'Display Hold' button keeps measurements on the display. Meter controls are positioned so current measurements can be done with one hand (index finger on clamp opening lever and thumb on rotary switch). Auto shut-off maximizes battery life so the meter works when you need it. Improved low current measurement accuracy for new microprocessor technology.

I don't know about the Flukes, maybe that is why I bought the Sears meter

But, I was talking about A/C loads with this set-up

Here are some meters:
http://www.nextag.com/dc-amp-meter/stores-html
Old 02-12-2011, 01:44 AM   #4
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Used to use the ten wrap method when adjusting heat anticipators on t'stats.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:46 AM   #5
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Harbor Fright used to have an adapter that would give you a 1:1 and 10:1 multiple of the current for your clamp on meter. I know, cause I have one. But I'll be darned if I can find it on their new website.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:51 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yea, this is what I use, I got it with my old analog Amprobe. I didn't realize it was so cheap.

http://www.instrumart.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=33467

http://www.instrumart.com/assets/108...-datasheet.pdf
Old 02-12-2011, 06:20 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Thanks OZZ, I'm a little behind times I suppose. The clamp on I have is a Sperry Rand (I think)analog. Had leads with it for other uses. I'll have to have me one of those.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:05 AM   #8
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Here is the Sears meter I have been using for the past year.
Sears Meter
Seems to work alright for what I need do with it.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:17 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jolu

Here is the Sears meter I have been using for the past year.
Sears Meter
Seems to work alright for what I need do with it.
Joe
Yes, that is a newer version of what I have it is a 'gooden