Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Wintering in So. Texas

Hi gang,
Wondered if anyone had info about wintering in So. Texas. We plan to go to South Padre Island for the winter from Utah, and then to the MOC rally, in March. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Steve

stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Check the topic MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS - Rio Grande Valley link below. A list of who is going where in the RGV.
Ozz, one of our members, was offering his site on South Padre Island for rent. You might look him up and see if it is still available.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If you like sand and warm sea breezes, you will like South Padre. Since I grew up 4 miles from the beach, it holds little attraction for me. Don't like grit in my hot dogs.

There is plenty of good fishing around, both salt and fresh water, up and down the coastal area. Slow paced fishing towns have a laid back placid appeal. Ozz has/had a nice, improved lot there as Bill said. I don't know how it weathered the hurricanes that came in the last couple of years. They came through mostly north of there.

I lived on the coast of Texas for over 50 years and rode through or ran from every big storm that came through since 1946 except Rita and Ike. From those experiences, my counsel for Rvers is to leave a target area when the storm is suspected. If you wait until you know for certain, you have waited to long. There is nothing worse than being tied up in a long line of very slow moving traffic with a storm clawing at your tailpipe.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote