Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
And on the road again

We had not planned on leaving until tomorrow, but the predicted storms in the area made us decide to leave today. We beat the rain.

I-10 from Houston to Beaumont is nice now. From Beaumont to Orange is not so good. Louisiana had good roods until you reach the cities, then they get rough, and from past the swamp on into Baton Rouge was terrible. Not to say that the traffic through BR was really bad from just outside the city on the west I-10 side on through to I-12, and then on I-12 it was stop and go for 10 or more miles - and for no apparent reason. We lost at least an hour, maybe more on that stretch of road.

I was getting tired after a night of not much sleep, so we stopped at Abita Springs CG Resort. Don't blame me - DW was navigator. We did not know that it is a membership only park. I begged, pleaded and used my wonderful personality, and they gave me a 30Amp pull through with water - no sewer. I was very happy to take it. Tomorrow we'll either stop at Gulfport, or go straight on to NAS P'Cola. Haven't decided yet.

Phil,
We are going to be so close in some of our travels. We are leaving for J'ville from P'Cola on the 26th of April. Might just spend a few nights there before going to Savanna and press your hand one day.

Keep us informed.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Move a whopping 68 miles today to Gulfport, MS, Shields RV Park (Naval Construciton Battalion facility) for the night. Reservations at NAS P'Cola tomorrow.

For the retired military folks. Shields, Gulfport is brand new. The old Shields is closed down and will be used for housing. The new Shields sites are, 70' long and at least 25 Feet wide, cement level, with full hookup. Very nice, and very close to the beaches, like 2 miles or less for US-90.

Speaking of which, we took a trip to Keesler AFB. On US-90 you can see the remanants of foundations of what used to be nice, across the street, sea view houses. This part of the country was devastated, however, New Orleans got all the news stories. They are rebuilding here, but it will take years

As for Keesler AFB Fam Camp - I'll stay at Shields, thank you.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Wayne, we will be arriving Jacksonville Naval on 4-29 and leaving 5-7. PM or Email me if you will be there during that time....We stayed at Pensacola NAS for one day before moving on to Eglin AFB Fam Camp where we took up residency (seemed like it anyway) for the next 5 months........Nice Fam camp but got tired of being in the same spot for that long.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Wayne, we leave Kings Bay on Monday for Key West for a week or so. We will head back via Sarasota to visit friends then back to Savannah for a few days. When will you be in that area? Let us know where you will be for the next three weeks, I will drive a hundred miles out of the way to visit... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
PHil and Dave,
Don't know how long we will stay in J'ville. We will be leaving P'Cola on the 26th and arrive J'ville on the same day (I hope). DW gets antsy and wants to move more frequently than I do, but maybe I can get her to stay there until the 30th or so. If that's the case then we would be in Savannah on or about the 30th.

I'll keep posted here, or PM y'all when plans are more firm.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:37 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Wayne, Dave, We will be at Skidaway Island State Park in Savannah from 5-7 to 5-14, maybe we can meet there if not in J'ville.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:07 AM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Wayne, bring lots of extra blocks for your landing gear, if you are going to be on one of the concrete pads at JAX, I don't think there are any that come close to being level front to back.
Phil, we will most likely see you at Skidaway... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Skidway doesn't have sewer!!! I like full hook-ups, with 50Amp service.

Hey, we are getting a day later start than anticipated. We stayed here at Shields, Gulfport another night because of predicted weather in P'Cola. So we will not be in P'Cola from 20 Apr and depart on 27 Apr., headed for J'Ville.

Dave, I pull in and push 3 buttons. One levels everything automatically, one puts out the 12+ foot slide, and the other puts out the 19 foot slide. Then if I so choose, I go outside and plug in the electricity, hook up the water, and maybe the sewer line. Takes all of about 10 minutes or less.

I'll giv you a demo sometime.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Located in site #4, Oak Grove CG, Pensacola Naval Air Station.

Drop in and say hi!
Old 04-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Wayne, stay away from the NAS at Jacksonville, it is worst than bad..
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:55 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Jim,
I'm going to be staying at Mayport. I hear that is okay. I was told that J'Ville was lousy. I guess you have first hand experience, heh?
Old 04-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Looking forward to the reunion Dave....

JimF. I have a week scheduled there, could you elaborate so I can change my reservations before next week.....
Old 04-22-2009, 11:06 AM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well, changed our reservations from NAS Jacksonville to Mayport, will be there from 4-29 to 5-7.....
Old 04-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
A few here in the CG said that Mayport was real nice, but dusty. Hey, I don't dust anyway!!!! (Don't you dare tell Earlene I said that)

Edited: Phil, we will also arrive on 4-29. Don't know if we will stay a week yet, but have it reserved for a week. We can change our mind until we pay according to my phone conversation with them.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:55 AM   #15
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Sorry for the late response, been at the mother-in-laws place. Yes, use Osprey Cove at Mayport, nice place. NAS is old, narrow, couldn't get my 3400 into the assigned spot and then couldn't back it out, turned into a real nightmare. Good fishing at Mayport, and quite a bit to do around there (at least what I like to do). Wish we were down there for the 29th till forever. It's windy and cold up her at Hanscom in Bean Town, has rained since we got here. Supposed to warm up this weekend.

Be safe guys, see you when you get up here Wayne.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote