Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Emergency Repair Kit/supplies

We own a 2007 3400RL. We researched and shopped for over five years before making the final buying decision. I have to say the the MOC forum with all its regular contributors has been the most valuable, AWESOME asset that came with a Montana trailer ownership. As we have progressed from living in the rig full time for sixteen months to moving in to our new (and hopefully last) stick house to now planning regular short trips, I want to be prepared, as Texas has a great State Park system, but many are in remote locations. I was a Boy Scout (only made it to Life, wish I could have made Eagle) so I believe in being prepared. Has anyone, especially those of you that are like me who is someone who wants to be able to handle a problem (like Rich) but not greatly mechanically skilled (like Ozz) developed a list of things that stay in the rig? I am talking about everything from tools (e.g., sockets for the the water heater, torque wrench for the wheels, etc.) to spare parts (fuses, etc.). I know it would be a chore for one of you full timers to make a list, but you have no idea how something like that would help a neophyte fifth wheel owner like me. TIA

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have not done this but it is a great idea.
Congratulations on the new stick house and enjoy the rolling one too.
Just watch your weight if you carry a spare kitchen sink.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:45 PM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
I'll take a stab at it. I won't list the tools, but list the spare parts that I carry.
Electrical tape, Duct Tape, Masking Tape, various size wire end twists (for connecting two wires together, and inline splices, assortment of fuses, 12 volt lamps, Bolts (shear) and nuts for the landing pad, and slide out. tooth picks and glue for the cabinet screws, and extra cabinet screws, 4' section of PIC pipe and 2 straight coupling and 2 elbow connectors for the pipe, extra hot water heater anode, extra connectors for the water filter, extra connectors for the white and green hose, extra hose end washers, jar of misc screws bolts and nails for inside, and about 12 self taping screws for the outside/compartments/frame, sheet of little round felt stick-ons, extra rope for tying down the awning or what ever, extra satellite cable, and male to male connectors for the cable, mouse traps, steel wool for filling holes.

I'm sure I have forgotten some of the extra stuf that I carry. Others will probably add to this as well, but its a start.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:53 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good lists, folks.
I found a need for a flare holder in really bad weather. I had a break-down and was along side the road for 6 hours, 4 of the hours it was in a blinding rainstorm. I had a dozen flares, but if I didn't keep them upright, the rain would drown them. Also, the flares were short-lived. There are many ways to make a flare holder, but when I replaced the used up flares, I bought 'Truckers flares'. Really long burning, with a spike in one end, got them at a big truck stop. I made an asphalt punch out of a concrete nail welded to a fan shaft, you could do this with a concrete nail and a hammer. I would buy the long burning 'big rig' flares.
Also, get the collapsible reflectors that truckers have to use in a roadside breakdown.
http://tiny.cc/Flare
http://tiny.cc/Reflector450
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Best tool is a Visa card with a large credit limit.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:16 AM   #6
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Are the shear bolts for the landing pads the same as the slideouts?
drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:04 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I carry, among other things, a 150 psi, 2-gallon compressor for filling tires, but with it, I tote a brad nailer. This is handy for making small repairs to the trim.

Keystone drives me crazy with the array of light bulbs and fuses they use. I have at least 3 different 12 volt bulbs and there is the 120 volt bulbs. I have 3 different types, not just differing amps, but different types. The fantastic fan uses a 4 amp glass fuse. The fuse panel uses small bladed fuse of various sizes and then there is the mini bladed 30 amp for the landing gear.

I also carry a one-gallon shop vac to suction up overflows and liquid spills. The washer overflowed once when I forgot to open a slide valve on the waste water discharge line. That little shop vac saved my bacon and my carpets.

Add a small vinyl repair kit for a tear or wear in the awning.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:51 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Eternabond Tape !! Duct tape and some kind of epoxy. I have the plumbers putty - it's a stick in a tube. You cut off the amount needed, knead it to mix the resin and hardener (which is in the middle), and apply it to fix all kinds of broken "stuff". I've found in some cases it's just temporary, but I fixed our gray water tank leak with it!! I now carry a spare connector plug for my electric service cable. We had it melt down once and had a hard time finding one at the time. Whenever I have a problem and wind up buying something to fix it, I'll purchase 2 - one for the fix and one for the box!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Fenco(famous in the plumbing world for thier flexible pipe connectors)has come to market with what seems to be a great product designed for emergency repairs. We stock Fernco's line of couplings and plumbers are starting to warmup to this new Fernco venture. Check it out at; http://www.fernco.com/PRW.asp

Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:08 AM   #10
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I carry a 12VDC and 120 VAC air compressor along with a 12 ton hydralic jack with 2x6's cut about 18 inches long to handle any tire issues--also put in a 4-way tire tool to get the lug nuts off. So far-- I have only had to change 1 tire in a RV park. The "triangle markers" for the road are also in my truck. We realized on the trip to Alaska in 2007 that alot of roads don't have shoulders--so you will be in the road if you break down--better have markers.
A really handy tool is the square bit for handling the screws in the Monty. I have one on a screw driver handle and another bit that fits my electric drill--yes take the electric drill.
Also--buy the best jumper cables you can--heavy copper and long! I keep mine in the truck.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #11
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Johnny, as somewhat of a novice in 5th wheel travelling, our list focuses primarily on Safety and those preventive tools or products to handle emergencies and await the maintenance support we would rely on thru insurance coverage. I do try to limit tools and other products to acknowledge weight factor.

I suspect that there are two types of lists; one for those who live in their Montanas and those that travel but live in a stick house as well. Those contributing thus far to a "list" have really given me some additional items to consider. May I borrow Steve and Brenda's Visa card? Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:25 PM   #12
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Hey OZZ.... This old mind, does remember that RAIN STORM YOU WERE STUCK IN. When I passed you looked like a very damp Critter, and you were not smiling....
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Monsoon comes to mind, I hope to not have that type of problem again, I fear a good friend like you would not be around this time....
In an emergency, one needs everything needed for that breakdown possible. Not an easy planning event.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:12 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
rogue did a good list..Spare slide shear pins and well as the ones on the front landing leg drive motor. Gorilla tape, lots of it,AFT for the slide hydraulics. Two 5Th's of good 150 Rum, Assorted tools, in my case small hand tools as I am not handy at all. A very good road service. Ozz's cell phone number.Correct size sockets for the hot water tank anode and wheel lugs.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:03 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Ozz's cell phone number.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:36 AM   #16
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I carry most of the above plus a 1 set of wheel bearings, brake magnet wheel bearing grease. Try to find these items in a small desert town and you will be glad you have a spare.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:39 AM   #17
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
OK, Here is a consolidated list of what has been suggested so far:

Tools (e.g., sockets for the water heater, torque wrench for the wheels, etc.)
Spare parts (fuses, etc.).

Electrical tape
Duct Tape
Masking Tape
Various size wire end twists (for connecting two wires together, and inline splices, assortment of fuses
12 volt lamps
Bolts (shear) and nuts for the landing pad and slide out
Tooth picks and glue for the cabinet screws
Extra cabinet screws
4' section of PIC (PVC?) pipe
PVC Glue
2 straight couplings and 2 elbow connectors for the pipe
Extra hot water heater anode
Extra connectors for the water filter
Extra connectors for the white and green hose
Extra hose end washers
Jar of misc screws bolts and nails for inside
12 self taping screws for the outside/compartments/frame
Sheet of little round felt stick-ons
Extra rope for tying down the awning or what ever
Extra satellite/TV cable
Male to male connectors for satellite/TV cable
Mouse traps
Steel wool for filling holes

Trucker flares
Flare holder
3 collapsible reflectors

150 psi, 2-gallon compressor for filling tires, with a brad nailer for making trim repairs
3 different 12 volt bulbs
120 volt bulbs
3 different types of fuses, not just differing amps, but different types
4 amp glass fuse for Fantastic Fan
The fuse panel uses small bladed fuse of various sizes
Mini bladed 30 amp for the landing gear
one-gallon shop vac to suction up overflows and liquid spills
Small vinyl repair kit for a tear or wear in the awning

Eternabond Tape
Duct tape
Some kind of epoxy
Spare connector plug for my electric service cable

Fenco product designed for emergency repairs http://www.fernco.com/PRW.asp

12V DC and 120 VAC air compressor
12 ton hydraulic jack with 2x6's cut about 18 inches long to handle any tire issues
4-way tire tool to get the lug nuts off
Square bit for handling the screws in the Monty
Cordless electric drill.
The best jumper cables you can get with heavy copper and long

Spare slide shear pins and
Spare shear pins for the front landing leg drive motor
Gorilla tape
ATF for the slide hydraulics
Two 5Th's of good 150 Rum
Assorted tools, in my case small hand tools
Correct size sockets for the hot water tank anode and wheel lugs

1 set of wheel bearings