Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2008, 05:25 AM   #1
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
How to repair this problem??

While driving thru a Love's to get to the diesel pumps--at $4.39/gal!--the Monty hit the rear corner of a flat bed truck. The damage was a pair of slices about 4 inches apart thru the plywood on the side of the Monty for about 5 feet. I have caulked the slices that are about 3/8 inch wide with white silicon sealant to keep out the rain--that works. We continued our trip but I am wondering how the dealer will repair this?
The damage stopped at the water heater that only had the door and outside frame damaged. I have replace these and the water heater works great--no leaks.

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Sorry to hear about the mishap. These things sometime slip up on us whether we want them to or not. Not exactly sure how a dealer would go about fixing it. Could you post some pictures?

Old 07-07-2008, 07:57 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would think that a shop that does fiberglass repair could do that...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:14 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I would think that a shop that does fiberglass repair could do that...
What Rich said. If you have boat repair shops in the area they work with fiberglass too and should be able to help. Remember your insurance if you want to use it.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:36 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Maybe some of these ??

http://www.trainerswarehouse.com/pro...p?number=PPBND

A GOOD fiberglass repair place can make the repair almost un-noticable. Here's basically how, but since they can't reach the other side of the laminate for "backing" the hole they may have to plug it with modeling clay or plumber's putty first. Since they can't lay the Monty on her side, they'll have to get some thickener(epithax) to keep the resin from running. Rather than using plastic coating and gel coat, they may use a run of masking tape on either side of the slice (very close to the slice) which will result in a minimum width patch the thickness of the tape above the surface. This allows about .012" for resin shrinkage and sanding down to match the surface. Here's basically how it will happen: http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/h...in-a-boat1.htm

You could even do it yoursef and then if it's not too good, just put on some extra decals!! Fiberglass repair kits can be found at WalMart in the auto department by the touch-up paint.

VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I had a similar 'mishap'...don't even bother with the dealer...find a shop that repairs fiberglass boats. You won't believe how good they can make it look...you also won't believe how much it costs!
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #7
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Thanks for the good news! You will not believe this but my Montana dealer is Tex-All Boat and RV. They have already repaired a front cap corner that was bumped in Alaska and you can't even see the repair--So when I get back to San Antonio--I will head to the dealer!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #8
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
Tim and Susan, Construction has taken a nose dive over the last year, so my guess there are a few Fiberglass Tub repairs shops that will come to you and at a resonable price. Call a plumbing wholesaler in your area and I'm sure they will recommend someone. It's worth an estimate. Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:54 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
When my Hanna was in the shop last time their fork lift put a scratch on the corner of the cap. They have a fiberglass repair person right their at Holiday World, S. Houston and he did a great job of repairing. Guess it's all in who you trust.

Good luck.

p.s., Swing wide, look in mirror, blame DW if anything happens.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:35 PM   #10
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
That’s where I call the insurance guy, get his appraisal then have him recommend a warranted repair facility.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote