Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2008, 04:49 AM   #1
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Front leg problem solved.

When we were on our winter trip several times I noticed that when extending the legs there would be a snaping sound and no movement. Now that we are home (in the rain) I removed the legs and at first could not find the problem. Thanks to John Kohl I called the vendor. Was told the clutch was sliping due to overloading the front of the unit. I knew that it was not heavy. Next step was to completly disassemble the legs. Found two things. Starboard leg had no lube in the middle of the screw for about 7 inches. Little or no lube on upper bevel gears of the port side leg. Greased up and reinstall still sliping clutch. Disassemble again and found a bent inner housing ( the part that you see move in and out.) Rotated it 90 degrees and it goes in and out ok. May replace later.

Thanks John for your post that had the picture of the drawing. It sure helped. Believe me now I know that system. If you need help with yours send PM.

rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Thanks for info Dick. Glad it worked out for you. I will file that info away for future use. Hopefully, I won't need it.

Say Hi to Toni.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:55 AM   #3
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Not having looked, how does one get the legs out for inspection and/or lubrication? I suppose first thing is to hitch up to the truck. I have no easy way to support the Monty otherwise. Then, If I have to go get something I am stuck as I only have one vehicle. AHHHHHHH
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:11 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by illapah

Not having looked, how does one get the legs out for inspection and/or lubrication? I suppose first thing is to hitch up to the truck. I have no easy way to support the Monty otherwise. Then, If I have to go get something I am stuck as I only have one vehicle. AHHHHHHH
If you have good foundation you can put jack stands under both sides centered on the "I" beams and lower the unit onto them. Then you can work the legs. Actually they are easy to remove, repair, and replace once you understand the mechanics of them or have done it once.
As rlwhit has offered, I also will share my experience.
Dick, glad I could help. That is what I like about this "family site".
Cheers.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:41 AM   #5
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Illapah Heres how I greased the the legs. With trailer on truck remove the tubes that slide in and out, you'll see inside the remaining leg the screw that works the legs up and down. I bough clear tubing that I could slide over the screw and with a grease gun pumped grease around the screw. Then worked the screw and added a bit more grease. I saved the tubing still full of grease for the next time I grease the leg's.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote