Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2005, 10:50 AM   #1
jackw87
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3007
Washer and dryer drain

found out the hard way about the washer drain on our 3685Fl the washer drain in our 3255RL drained into the GRey water tank so I assumed that it would also drain in the holding tanks just did not know which one. ran the wassher thru a cycle and it started backing up thru the drain took it back to the dealer and found thet the washer does not drain in to any of the tanks if you don't have it on full hookup you must connect it to your blue tank or open the sewer connect cap

jackw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:46 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jack, if you're doing just one load you might get away with using the blue tank. Maybe. Ours drains into the bath gray tank, by the way. When the dump valve is not open (like in I forgot to open it) then ours backs into and out of the shower and into the basement as well as all over the bath area. (been there, too). I can tell you from experience if you start with an empty gray tank you might get two loads in there with the third one overflowing the tank. This is one reason we feel we have to have a sewer connection if we stay somewhere more than a week.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
Montana_593
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #593
Sure seems like that kind of change would have been covered during the walk through.
Montana_593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 01:04 PM   #4
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
we had the same problem! come to find out...like you said the W/D isn't hooked up to a tank...and you must be hooked up to a city drain in order to use it! you can keep the cap closed and open the grey water tank to have it back up into the grey water tank, but if you do that it works better if you have a seperate shut off valve to keep you from getting soaked the next time you take the cap off!

I wish I knew all of this ahead of time!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 05:42 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
OK, guys, here's a thought. Some of us have installed an additional slide valve by the sewer pipe cap, where you connect the hose. We did this so when not hooked up to sewer we could open the two original gray tank valves and close this new valve. That let's the gray water share the two gray tanks. If you had this additional valve, your washer drain water would be forced into the two gray tanks, assuming you had the gray valves open and the new valve closed. You could probably do two or three loads before overflowing one of the tanks (probably the galley tank). You'd not have room for the shower water. Another option would be to close the valves for the bath gray tank and the new slide valve and open the galley gray tank valve. Then you could do a load, possibly two, with the water going into the galley tank. You'd still have the other tank for showers. But you might not be able to do dishes.

I know this is playing with fire. Misjudge remaining capacity and you have a mess. Just kinda thinking out loud here in case someone really has this need.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 06:58 AM   #6
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Don't know how your plumbed but would it be an option to cut the pipe in the basement.. then plumb it across to a shower or sink drain and so into the tank??
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:46 AM   #7
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
On my 04 3670 the washer drain IS connected to the gray water tank. It sure doesn't take long to fill that tank though. 1 shower and 1 load of clothes with a Splendide combo condensing dryer will do it. We wait to do the wash until we have sewer.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 11:07 AM   #8
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
I'm not sure why this would be a problem..... doing more then one wash into a gray water tank.... well... count up the gallons and think about it. The sweet part is that you can do a wash and not exceed the gray water capacity... then when you get to civilization you can dump and do the rest of the cloths.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 02:47 PM   #9
Montana_3368
Established Member

M.O.C. #3368
Finally found the right place for the wrong plumbing questions! We also were surprised to find out that our new 3670 was plumbed to the black tank! We found out the hard way by overflowing the tank back through the drain and the toilet on our first trip away from the dealer. We were not told of this unusual hookup at the time of the sale or walk through...After full timing three years in a 3575 plumbed as every other RV I know of, through the grey tank, we are disappointed to say the least with this situation.

I now see that you all are also talking about some being drained straight through to the outlet....Doesn't this look like Keystone does not quite understand the RV business as they try to justify these basic design flaws. Who ever heard of draining into anything but the grey tank?

We stay at so few places without full hookups, draining into a closed tank is not an issue with us. We always sit with the grey tanks open until the day before draining the black tank when we close all
drains and use the grey as rinse after draining the black..
Montana_3368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:53 PM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I agree, No hook up, no laundry. Our first trip out, we got a geyser in the lavatory. So we know ours is connected through the gray water tank. Absolutely no laundry w/o hook up. Not enough room in the tank for this Kenmore stacked unit..
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote