Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Hitch stablizers, yes or no?

In many of the pictures of parked rigs I have seen while browsing through the forum show hitch stablizers in use. In the 5 years we have been RVing I have probably only seen 3 or 4 in use. While we visit mostly public campgrounds and see only weekend warriors or short time campers, I am curious as to why there are so many showing in MOC. Do the Montana's and Mountaineers really need these or are they maybe a full time thing I don't yet understand. As a soon to be Mountaineer owner, will I need to invest in one?

ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:35 PM   #2
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
We are first time RVers. Just got our 3650RK back in July. I got the king pin stablizer when we pickup our 5er. We have been out 3 times. The first 2 times were just 2-3 day trips. Each time we used the king pin stablizer. The only time I didn't use it, was overnite when the 5er was still hooked up to the truck. I did notice that there was more movement on the truck than on the king pin stablizer.

IMHO it helps stablize the coach.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:44 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I use mine as my coach is set up for 6 months at a time. I feel it really helps keep the movement in the coach down. I guess it depends on how much you use your coach, and how long you are set up in each location.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:00 PM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
ggranch,
It all depends on you tolerance for motion in your rig while parked. Some people are content with just the landing legs and rear stabilizers down while others need a front tripod, chocks between the tires and stabilizers in the middle of the rig. To some this may seem like overkill but if the wiggle bothers you, it bothers you
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:51 PM   #5
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
8.1al is right. It just depends on how far you want to go to get rid of movement. You can get all sorts of jacks and braces if it is important to you. We used our stabilizer (bipod) a few times and could tell a slight improvement, but decided it wasn't worth the trouble to haul it around and set it up each time. We really felt we had better uses for the space it takes up in the basement. Many others feel differently.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:12 AM   #6
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
We are more perminant one place people of late and I like the extra stability it give us. If I was traveling all the time I probably would not take it with. Space and time issue.

Remember the..........
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:01 AM   #7
Sandymom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5837
Like others have said, it's primarily a function of how sensitive you are to the movement. Doesn't bother me but Sandy gets motion sickness easily and wanted a firmer installation. To avoid taking up room in the basement, we added JT Strong Arm Stabilizers to our Monty and find that they are very effective. You can see them here:
http://www.jtrv.com/

Mike
Sandymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:27 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I use all the stuff. We use what came with the rig as well as the tripod, locking wheel chocks, frame jacks, etc BUT only when we will be set up for more than a week or two. It's not a case of sensitivity it's a case on comfort. Why put up with unecessary movement when it isn't necessary. When we are sitting for a month or more why not be as comfortable as possible.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:45 AM   #9
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
If I did not have a combination washer/dryer in the front corner of my Montana, I probably would not bother with the hitch tri pod but without the tri-pod, you can feel the spin cycle right through the unit. The tri-pod really helps .
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:59 AM   #10
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
We use one on our Mountaineer. Our situation is a bit different than most here as we travel with our little ones....5 & 3 yrs old. We have bunks in the rear of the fiver and when the kids are back there bouncing around, even though it is in the rear, the king pin stabilizer makes a big difference.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:15 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We use to use the king pin stabilizer but got tired of hauling it around in the bed of the truck. Never did seem to be worth the money spent for it. On top of that, we were often parked where the front end had to be up so high that the legs of the stabilizer didn't reach the ground. Putting the legs on blocks (as I have seen some do) is extraordinarily unstable.

I'm looing into the stabilizers for the front and rear that someone described on the MOC forum some time ago. Cost around $600-700. But boy, are they stabilizers!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:43 AM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We use the king pin stabilizer when set up for more than overnight. We used it on our previous 5er as well so it is not a Montana thing. We have just the opposite experience as to other units in the CG. Most of the 5ers we see have them.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:52 AM   #13
Sandymom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5837
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

I'm looing into the stabilizers for the front and rear that someone described on the MOC forum some time ago. Cost around $600-700. But boy, are they stabilizers!

Orv
Orv,

That might be the JTs I mentioned above - I believe ours ran $399 when we got them and they sure make a difference.

Mike
Sandymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:37 AM   #14
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
When I was looking at my Montana before I bought it, I had the good fortune to discuss the trailer and Montana's in general with Aram who was then the northeast area manager. He is now Montana Product Manager. He told me to never under any circumstances use slide jacks. I don't and that puts me with virtually everyone on the forum. He also told me not to use slide toppers and gave me a variety of reasons why. I don't use them and I don't regret it and that puts me in a distinct minority on the forum. Finally he told me to go take a look at the landing gear. After I did he told me to use the hitch pin stabilizer. I usually do if we are in one place for more than a day or so.

Sooo, my long answer is Montana recommends them so I use one.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:25 AM   #15
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
We got one of the light weight aluminum tripods...weighs 18 lbs and supports 800 lbs. We use it if spending more than one night in the same place. Seems to make a difference.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:13 AM   #16
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We use the stabalizers that came with the rig, the tripod and wheel chocks. Primarily for the washer/dryer. We are parked for six months at a time except for the week we drive down and back. Wouldn't be without them.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:15 PM   #17
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Before buying a set of JT's you may want to check out "plugitright.com". We have a set and they help a lot. Of course I weight 300 lbs so the wifr notices when I jump around a lot
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:01 PM   #18
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Thanks to everyone for the input. It looks like we will take a wait and see approach. If we need one we will get one, and if we don't, no problem. Thanks again and I will be back as soon as I think of something else to ponder.
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:47 PM   #19
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
ORV

We got those stabilizers, And they have been worth every penny. No longer do I wake the wife up when going in or out of the camper. And setup is a breeze. I was the first one sold by Kettelson' (besides Denny's, but His was the test set to see if they were worth selling.)

Everyone I highly recommend them, no bother from wind, or the in and out movement when exiting and just the plain movement of walking from front to back.
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #20
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
If we just are at a spot a couple of nights, I do not use the king pin stabilizer. However, anything longer, I put it in place for comfort.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote