Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Show Low, AZ from Tucson

We want to take a day trip (2 days) up to Show Low where we are going to spend the summer. We are in Tucson and the shortest way is the 77 to the 60. The 60 looks pretty curvy. Anyone familiar with this route? We will not be towing. When we come back from CA, we will come into AZ on the 40.
Happy trails.....................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Sue,

If you go to the Escapees Forum and go to the TRAVEL thread. Then do a search for SALT RIVER CANYON. Somewhere someone posted some very nice pics of this area and they are spectacular.

It sounds like it would be a very nice drive even with the trailer. Slow, curvy and steep grades but very doable. Have a great trip.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I've never pulled the Cambridge up or down this route but have driven it in Bubba. It is spectacular--a road you should do at least once. But be prepared to take your time and watch out for the idiots making time. Oh, and be sure to take your camera.

We were staying in Overgaard about 25 miles west of Showlow and were headed to Phoenix. We pulled the Cambridge through Payson and down the Bee-Line highway into Fountain Hills. This route is much less steep than route 60 but still gets the old adrenaline rush going. As to scenery, if I-40 is zero and 89A through Sedona is a 10, the Salt River Canyon (rte 60) gets at least an 8 and the Bee-line highway gets a 6 (IMHO)
Happy Trails
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave is right about the Beeline highway. We drove that last month, just before part of it was temporarily closed. It would not be a bad tow at all. I haven't driven 60 north of Globe but it doesn't look all that bad. I'd tow it but then I've towed some roads where we got some strange looks from people.

I wanted to get up to Show Low while we were in Camp Verde but didn't make it up there. It should be a pretty area. Enjoy.

Well, I just reread and see you won't be towing 60. I would think that would be a very enjoyable drive for you on your day trip. When you get there for the summer, don't forget to go to Winslow and "standing on a corner in Winslow, AZ."
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Thanks, Steve. I've stood on a corner in Winslow AZ! Nothing happened. LOL
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote