Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
rps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6052
Winter Question

Hello:

I plan on Winterizing our 2955 next weekend.

However, we will be heading to Florida right after Christmas and I will need to open the Slides to pack her up.

Daytime Temps in our area in late December are usually in the upper 30's / Lower 40's and over night upper 20's, lower 30's --

Do I need to take any precautions with the seals around the slides with the cold ?

Is there anything else I need to be aware of for the cold weather ?

I plan on dumping the Pink Stuff once we get to Virginia.

This is our 1st Winter owning our Montana and I am procedding with caution.

Thanks in advance.

rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Should not have any trouble with those temps. That said, regular maintenance on your rig should have you treating those seals, etc.

We leave here at much colder temps, we put slides in and out, they may stall if it is really cold, wait a few seconds, they will start back up.

Turn the heat on to load freezables at last possible moment, keep on at about 45 to keep them from freezing.

Do the water thing and pink when you get in warmer climes.

We left here a couple of years ago and it was 4 below. So, your temps seem rather mild to us,

you will be fine, enjoy tha rig and your trip!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:05 AM   #3
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Ray: One thing you might want to double check, is under the living room slide. On a 2955 there is a plastic support that has to flex when you move the slide in and out. It holds the wiring for the electrical lights and outlets in the slide. It is near the rear of the slide, you can see it easily. On our model, it is prone to snap off near the end where it is mounted to the slide frame because it is too tight of a bend there. If you take it in for warranty, they just replace it with the same piece again. There is a MOC "homegrown" fix floating around here on the forum that I'm going to do on mine in the spring. That is to just cut the end of the plastic support off, and put a standard folding door hinge on there with 3 bolts, and 3 more bolts to hold the other side of the hinge to the slide frame.
I bring this up because it could fail quicker with you moving it around in colder temps.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:01 AM   #4
rps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6052
Carol, Clyde n Deb:

Thanks for the response to my question --

It is as I thought, but we can not be too careful.

68 days to Florida and counting !
rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I open and close mine most of the winter with temps in the 20's & 30's with no problems. You should be fine. I do make sure I lube the slides and seals a couple times through the winter.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I open and close mine most of the winter with temps in the 20's & 30's with no problems. You should be fine. I do make sure I lube the slides and seals a couple times through the winter.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote