Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
fulltimers and winterizing

For all the fulltimers out there...curiosity has the best of me.

What do you do to winterize your rig?

Do you drain your water lines when you are traveling?

Do you leave your furnace on while traveling?

If you are stationary in a cold place do you order skirting for your unit?

I know I have too much time to sit and think about things.
Phil

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:34 AM   #2
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
As soon as the leaves start to turn, we head south for warmer temperatures. That is all the winterizing we do.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:27 AM   #3
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
I put a skirt around my rig. I do keep water in my tanks just in case the campgrounds water line freezes (has to be real cold for that but it does happen). The furnace is on just like it would be in the stick house. I've spent 2 winters in Kansas now and have had no real problems. I have 2 more winters to spend here before I can head south.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:53 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Since we live in ours full time we see no need to do any winterizing. The only thing we do when we happen to be in weather that drops below freezing during the night time is to run the furnace at about 60°. This pushes warm air into the underbelly.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Winterizing for this full timer is to head the Monty and TV south until it stops freezing. The past 4 years that has been west central Florida.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Phil, you asked:

1. What do you do to winterize your rig?

2. Do you drain your water lines when you are traveling?

3. Do you leave your furnace on while traveling?

Even tho we are not fulltimers, we do leave here in colllldddddd brrrrrrrr shiver shiver, cold weather, here is what we do.

1. We winterize the unit around November 1st each year, since we are still living in it this year, that date may morf a bit, depending on when they get us back in the house. But, we will fully winterize it, drain all water, etc. Put in the pink, put all freezables in the garage. (Now, if we were full timing we would do what Steve R and Orv and others do, heat the basement and make whatever adjustments we had to do to keep stuff from freezing, like heat tape the water hose, etc.)

2. We wait till we get to Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, areas like that, where we will not freeze up, and temps are moderate. Then we take out the pink. (Now, if we were fulltiming, we probably would do what Steve and others do, which is to run with the water in there, I believe that is what Steve did on his prior units when they left Independence MO in late December.)

3. Yes, we now leave furnace on - - set about 45 - - when we travel. All warnings about propane left on and fueling stations are well noted and well advised. If you turn off the propane to fuel up, turn off the furnace and refer, pull away from station, and turn it all back on.

Not sure we want to spend an entire winter in freezing temps, like Michigan in Tana, or Minnesota in Tana. Most fulltimers leave the cold climes in time to escape all that freezing nonsense. But, a number of fulltimers have been caught in the colder climes for various reasons, medical emergencies or family situations, and have survived just fine.

I wrote this cause I did not think anyone was answering your questions. But then again, the best answer is the one given frequently - - - - leave Dodge before it freezes up!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote