Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2010, 01:47 AM   #1
SDVIKINGRON
Established Member

M.O.C. #9013
Washer/Dryer

Am considering adding a washer/dryer to our Monty but after looking at the available "trailer designated" units, have decided they are all junk. The problem is a 24" unit that is not designed for a traier uses 220V for the dryer unit. I am strongly considering a Bosch stackable pair. I have an Iota panel and there appears to be additional breaker spots. The way it is located ajacent to the washer closet makes it appear that adding a wire would be pretty simple. I am sure additional Iota breakers are available but have not reserched that yet. The other thought is that there is a big void above the washer area and behind the panel. I am thinking about doing some exploatory surgery to see what is up there but wonder if anyone already knows or can give some insight on this?
Thanks in advance, Ron

SDVIKINGRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:08 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I believe you will find a lot of wires up there.
Dave (exnavydiver) put a Bosh 220VAC dryer in his big sky. The biggest down fall is he can only use it when hooked up to 50amp service. I also believe he has to use power management when running them to prevent blowing breakers.

I went with the Splendid stackables that use 120VAC so we can use the washer and dryer on 30 amp service.

good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:33 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
John is wrong. There isn't a lot of wires up there, there is A LOT of wires up there. Just remove the breaker panel and take a peek.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:35 AM   #4
SDVIKINGRON
Established Member

M.O.C. #9013
Thanks for the prompt reply and Happy Thanksgiving....How do you get by with your Spendid pair?
Old 11-25-2010, 02:47 AM   #5
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
I get by SPLENDIDLY with my Splendide stackables have been using them since July and have nothing but good things to say....no complaints they do a fine job....yes smaller batches but that has not been an inconvenience. Have never had a problem doing laundry even when the AC is running.

Betty
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:53 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Ann had a combo and we up graded to the stackable units. We like them very much. Do get the vented dryer. With the smaller size she can do one king size sheet at a time. She can do about 2 to 3 pairs of jeans. The bed spread has to be done in a big commercial unit.
Ann really likes it.
The dryer does not leave the clothes as wrinkled as the combo unit did.
There are many others out here that can comment on their units too.
Good luck. Hope this helps and Happy Thanksgiving.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:53 AM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I am not sure which model Montana you have but we have a 340RLQ Big Sky and it is exactly the same as the 3400. I used 20 inches of #8 wire to wire in the dryer plug and even that was a bit long. The nasty mess of wire behind the elect panel is a shock to see at first but there is plenty of space for a double 240 volt 30 amp breaker on the right side of the box. I actually WAY OVER wired the washer and dryer with #8 but it is what I had at the moment and I am lazy and didn't feel like making another trip to Lowes. We have the Bosch units and LOVE them. going on two years on them and they are still going strong. No problems what so ever. They have the largest drum of any of the 24 inch units on the market. Because they are 240 volt they use half the juice during a cycle that a 120 volt unit would use. At .11 cents a KWH that can make a big savings there. We could easily do a load a day or every other day. But we usually end up doing 4 or 5 loads in one day once a week. We use a Progressive Industries Power management system and have never come close to dropping the load because of using the washer/dryer. All we have to say about the Bosch units is in the "pro" column, nothing in the "con" column...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:19 AM   #8
SDVIKINGRON
Established Member

M.O.C. #9013
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

I am not sure which model Montana you have but we have a 340RLQ Big Sky and it is exactly the same as the 3400. I used 20 inches of #8 wire to wire in the dryer plug and even that was a bit long. The nasty mess of wire behind the elect panel is a shock to see at first but there is plenty of space for a double 240 volt 30 amp breaker on the right side of the box. I actually WAY OVER wired the washer and dryer with #8 but it is what I had at the moment and I am lazy and didn't feel like making another trip to Lowes. We have the Bosch units and LOVE them. going on two years on them and they are still going strong. No problems what so ever. They have the largest drum of any of the 24 inch units on the market. Because they are 240 volt they use half the juice during a cycle that a 120 volt unit would use. At .11 cents a KWH that can make a big savings there. We could easily do a load a day or every other day. But we usually end up doing 4 or 5 loads in one day once a week. We use a Progressive Industries Power management system and have never come close to dropping the load because of using the washer/dryer. All we have to say about the Bosch units is in the "pro" column, nothing in the "con" column...
Thanks, Thats about what I expected....Thought about using #10 though as I remember that is all they use in stick built houses especially if a fellow is only running 8"...no line drop....but I seem to overdo most things the Navy way also....like with the #8, might even paint it battleship grey....
Old 11-25-2010, 03:48 AM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We have been full timing for 4 years now with the splendide stackable. We are happy with them. They do the job. The splendide only uses one inlet line, cold water, then heats it internally. We also like the front loading feature. Yes, the loads are smaller, but adequate for the two of us. We do recommend the stackables whatever the brand.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:49 AM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Hey, if I painted anything haze gray I would probably get beaten.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:40 AM   #11
SDVIKINGRON
Established Member

M.O.C. #9013
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Hey, if I painted anything haze gray I would probably get beaten.
Don't do that then...one more ?...where did you get the Iota breaker?
Old 11-25-2010, 04:55 AM   #12
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
It's an Iota panel that takes a Cutler Hammer BR circuit breaker.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:03 AM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
The breakers are not IOTA, they are standard old Square D Homeline brand breakers. They are stocked everywhere, Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, Sears, Ace. Easy find units. At least that is what mine are... Dave
Old 11-25-2010, 05:52 AM   #14
SDVIKINGRON
Established Member

M.O.C. #9013
Thanks, I see that now that I pulled the cover off...with cover on they looked like some mini breaker....
Old 11-25-2010, 07:32 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sue loves her Maytag set, I put in a 220 Dryer. It has worked out super for us.
Here are my install pictures:
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...0dryer%20inst/

I think you can tell Sue likes it...
Here are the wires also.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:15 AM   #16
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
What did you use for a template before you drilled the hole for the vent? With my luck I would hit the frame or something.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Sue loves her Maytag set, I put in a 220 Dryer. It has worked out super for us.
Here are my install pictures:
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...0dryer%20inst/

I think you can tell Sue likes it...
Here are the wires also.

08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I studied the wall construction pretty well first. You can actually see the wall studs on a foggy morning, the studs show up clearly. I would be the one to make the blunder...
Old 11-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #18
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

I studied the wall construction pretty well first. You can actually see the wall studs on a foggy morning, the studs show up clearly. I would be the one to make the blunder...
Thanks Ozz... This is one of those tasks that you measure 100 times and cut once....

I can see myself with my Homer Simpson suit on hitting that stud... DOH!

08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ha! I have made some doozies in my past, but you just have to fight through it to get things done.