Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2019, 07:12 AM   #1
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Slide Lubricant

I have always used a slide lubricant spray on my various owned fifth wheels slide rails and gears. I now have a slide gear issue and was reading in the Lippert hydraulic slide manual where it states in one place "no maintenance is required" and in another place where it shows 4 spots of placing synthetic light oil at using a small hand oil pump (see the attached page from Lippert). It explicitly states "Do not lubricate rack and pinion gear teeth, simply the 4 spots on the drive shaft only".

Naturally, Camco and other manufacturers advertise the "slide spray lubricant" as the way to go.

I guess since Lippert says "NO", I have been misguided in spraying the rack and gear all these years?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lippert Slide Maint.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	3800  

glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:03 AM   #2
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Imagine that - a conflict of information - think a dealer would handle that … too bad you can't find a knowledgeable source to tell the reason behind the story
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:07 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I have always sprayed the gear box along with the rails and teeth on the rails. I DO NOT use a liquid spray but use a dry lube spray on everything. On the rails, I spray it on and let it sit a bit then use a clean rag and lightly wipe it off but on the gear box I spray it good and run the slides in a couple of time then give the gear box another light spray. The reason not to use a wet spray is because it has a tendency to collect dust and dirt. I use a rag with hydraulic fluid on it to lube the level-up system legs. This is what the Lippert/LCI techs told me to use while at the 2018 Fall Rally. They said that if you use silicon on them, it has a tendency to dry out the seals that the rams run up through when retracting or extending them. Just light coat of hydraulic fluid works well.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:07 AM   #4
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
When we had a SOB, I would dry lube spray the rails as well as the rack and pinion which were Lippert. Using anything but a good brand dry lube will attract and hold road dirt. Not sure it helped anything but my adversion of metat to metal contact, those parts never gave me a problem.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #5
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendodom View Post
I have always used a slide lubricant spray on my various owned fifth wheels slide rails and gears. I now have a slide gear issue and was reading in the Lippert hydraulic slide manual where it states in one place "no maintenance is required" and in another place where it shows 4 spots of placing synthetic light oil at using a small hand oil pump (see the attached page from Lippert). It explicitly states "Do not lubricate rack and pinion gear teeth, simply the 4 spots on the drive shaft only".

Naturally, Camco and other manufacturers advertise the "slide spray lubricant" as the way to go.

I guess since Lippert says "NO", I have been misguided in spraying the rack and gear all these years?
That info is on page 12 on the manual. I don't know that there's necessarily a conflict. Normally, they say no maintenance is required. The info on page 12 about oiling is titled "Corrective Action for Squeaking Gear Packs." So my take on it is, if it isn't squeaking, don't oil or lube it. But if it does start squeaking, here's how to oil it.

I do agree that any type of lube that's going to attract dust/dirt will only make it worse -- especially if it's attracting in onto the hydraulic rod.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:47 AM   #6
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
Lube on Slide

I have always a couple of times per year clean the rail with a wire brush and use the slide lube on the rails and the gear. . I also wipe it off. It helps it run smoothly and quietly.

Jim Bonhote
2014 3582RL, 2015 Ford F350 SRW Crew Cab Platinum
Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote