Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2019, 01:08 PM   #21
N1282X
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22428
I wouldn't advise to put the slides out when you are going down the road

N1282X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:45 PM   #22
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
I have experience on both ends... I once rode in an older Starcraft 5'er we owned on a long trip south so I could get some sleep while my bride drove. Found the ride terrible and insane noisy! I don't like rattles and there were rattles I could not even imagine in that coach. Best ride was in the (mid) bathroom between the truck and trailer axles, but the only chair in there was not that comfortable . The ride up on the bed, I felt every bump the truck rear axle went over. I never rode back there again.

A funny story... I was going down the interstate (same trailer), might have been on that same trip thru South Dakota and my daughters were in the trailer. We always had communication with them as required by law, and they really liked riding back there.

One the rules I had were to keep the blinds closed so as not to alarm other motorists. I had know way of knowing that they were not adhering to my rule until I was pulled over by the SD Highway Patrol. I was not speeding so I was pretty confused as to why I was being stopped.

The patrolman came up to me and said... "I see you have a couple of girls riding in your camper." I told him I knew that, and he told me "State Law requires you have communication with riders in a camper. Can you demonstrate that for me please?" So, I pick up the two way radio we were using and called my daughters. Now they are scared to death because the "old man" just got pulled over and they won't answer the damn radio! After about 5 calls, the last ending with "If you don't answer me this nice patrolman is going to take me to jail!" they finally said sheepishly "Yes Dad?"

I thanked them, the patrolman told me to have a nice trip through South Dakota and we all went on our way!

Turns out the kids had the back window blinds open and were waving and smiling at everyone who passed us! They stayed back there for the remainder of the trip, but kept the blinds closed!

As to the OP's question, many years and much wiser me would have to have absolutely no other option before anyone would ride back there these days. Too much could go wrong, and now they make really nice crew cab pickups! You could have to brake hard and the trailer passengers would never be able to see out the windshield to expect to have to brace themselves. Like someone else said, there are no seatbelts back there. Lots of room to fly around in a camper.

Just be sure you think about the risks before proceeding.
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:21 PM   #23
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Never once thought about this, but that's because nobody would EVER ride unrestrained in a vehicle I'm in charge of. I'm scratching my head here trying to understand letting someone I love be at such risk. To each his own though.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #24
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Every state is different and we have had riders in back on long stretches of road.
The main concern everyone forgot to mention, is the outside handrail.
You will need to reverse the swing and lock, otherwise you wind up locking your passenger inside with the handrail and no way of opening in emergency.
Reverse the swing and lock of the outside handrail for your protection and the safety of the rider.
You just never know if and when an emergency happens.
Safe travels.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:57 PM   #25
leahbill
Established Member

M.O.C. #21989
Would never ride in the 5th wheel. We've been on some rough roads this summer. Major highways in need of major repairs. Not safe.
leahbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:07 PM   #26
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
Every state is different and we have had riders in back on long stretches of road.
The main concern everyone forgot to mention, is the outside handrail.
You will need to reverse the swing and lock, otherwise you wind up locking your passenger inside with the handrail and no way of opening in emergency.
Reverse the swing and lock of the outside handrail for your protection and the safety of the rider.
You just never know if and when an emergency happens.
Safe travels.

Those handrails do open easily with them closed over the door when opening the door. https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...a&action=click
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:36 PM   #27
WinAnne
Established Member

M.O.C. #5029
Riding in Fifth Wheel

In Nov of 2009, while in San Jose, CA, I sustained a serious injury to my right knee and required surgery. We opted to return home to Phoenix area. I rode in our Montana 2955 over two days without any issues at all. We each had cell phones and communicated when I needed to stop. He drove as carefully as possible. I would not hesitate to do it again -- especially on freeways
WinAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:55 PM   #28
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
As kids, we used to ride in the truck camper all the time. We loved it.
Mom didn't like the idea too well but we went on many camping trips
riding back there. Still have very vivid memories of going down the highway
looking out the front window of the cabover while laying on the bed.
Slug Bug was a favorite pastime.

Seat belts? Phhttt! We didn't have them in the back and nobody up front
used them either. Different times.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:56 PM   #29
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
I forgot to mention that states that let you ride in the 5'r, you must have communication with the driver by way of walkie-talker, intercom, etc.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #30
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
As kids, we used to ride in the truck camper all the time. We loved it.
Mom didn't like the idea too well but we went on many camping trips
riding back there. Still have very vivid memories of going down the highway
looking out the front window of the cabover while laying on the bed.
Slug Bug was a favorite pastime.

Seat belts? Phhttt! We didn't have them in the back and nobody up front
used them either. Different times.
I used to drink water right out of the garden hose

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:56 PM   #31
Photomonjax
Established Member

M.O.C. #18178
This thread brought to mind something I saw about 10 years ago. I was going across I-10 thur Texas and come upon a 5er with the back shades up. As I was going to pass, in the window you could see this poor women hanging on to her chair for dear life, rocking and rolling with every bump in the road. I am sure her trip was not a good one. I would bet her other half stayed in the dog house for a while.

First and formost it is not safe to ride in the back not to mention illegal in most states
Photomonjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:40 PM   #32
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
I wouldn't let my Labrador Retriever ride in my fifth wheel.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:07 PM   #33
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If you get in the bed it’s the smoothest and quietest ride you can imagine. I’ve did it several times. There is no wind noise no tire noise. You are over the truck wheels. It’s a lot smoother than in the truck. I put my 4 inch mattress topper between me and the sliding glass mirrors, just in case. It’s not safe but it will rock you to sleep.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:04 PM   #34
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
I was able to get my DW in the 5th one time. Asked her to ride and listen for squeeks, glass banging, etc. Was the most peaceful journey until I let her out 2 hours down the road... 😁🥺
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #35
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
I don't have a dog in this fight one way or another, I'll just contribute some personal experience.

Yes, I used to ride in the overhead of the camper, yes my kids rode in the overhead of my camper. THEN I responded as a Firefighter to 2 separate motorhome crashes. This was in the 80's so they were wood frame construction held together with staples.
Both crashes the motorhomes tipped over. And both of them the chassis, floor, seats and various fixtures separated from the camper shell. So the relative safety of being strapped into a seat of some kind is somewhat lost on me. I still don't think it would be a pleasant experience to ride in the trailer.

Mark
Old 09-05-2019, 05:58 PM   #36
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Quote:
Originally Posted by team bradfield View Post
I used to drink water right out of the garden hose

I'm assuming you used the hose to wash down the paint chips?
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:14 PM   #37
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Riding in a camper is dangerous. Riding a motorcycle is even more dangerous and I do that almost every day. I came by a motorcycle that had hit a deer on the Blueridge Parkway 2 weeks ago. The rider was laying on a stretcher being still. I thought they were taking him to the hospital, no he was heading to the funeral home. Riding in a camper isn’t that dangerous and many of us ride a motorcycle.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:54 PM   #38
Bridge4d
Established Member

M.O.C. #21290
Somewhere on the interwebs I saw a post where someone setup a dog carrier inside their 5th wheel and it had a camera pointed at it so the owner could see their dog. It didn't look fun and the poor dog spend more time hovering inside the crate than on their dog bed. It reminded me of why some people avoid the last row of seats on a rollercoaster.

2022 3761FL Legacy
2022 F450 Dually
Bridge4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:37 AM   #39
KJT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23367
I would give CDB oil a serious look !
Worhs for me.
KJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:52 PM   #40
buchcapt902@gmail.com

M.O.C. #24351
My wife and grandkids rode in back on short trip she said very rough next time shes going to try lying on the bed
buchcapt902@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote