Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Trailair Suspension Mod

I've heard good reports on this suspension upgrade, so I decided to try it out. Only takes about 2 hours per side to install. I hooked the fiver to the truck for added stability while jacking one side up at a time. I got the "wet bolt" kit (greaseable bolts and brass bushings) along with the equilizer itself. The ride height wasn't effected. I'm going to try it out in a few weeks down around Beaver Lake Arkansas, so I'll report the results then. Ordering direct from Trailair was cheaper than what the suppply houses quoted.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Looks like a nice retrofit dieselguy! Great option to the cutting and welding required for the Mor-ryde retrofit.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:34 AM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Nice job Dieselguy.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

- snip - I hooked the fiver to the truck for added stability while jacking one side up at a time. - snip -
First, nice upgrade. Second, I agree with you, I would not jack the side of my trailer to work on the wheels without it hooked to the truck. I do not feel the front landing legs would handle the angled stress.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Have you checked it out yet? I have installed the same thing,EQUA-FLEX, and would recommend the product to anyone. They work super and make the Monty ride so much smoother. Things do not move or bounce around like they use to do. I also have the TRAILER-SAVER HITCH so the Monty just glides along. Great product. I think you will be happy with it. I am.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:56 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Well, we got back from the Arkansas jaunt and I'll have to say it was money well spent. The bumps and rail crossings were for a loss of a word ... spongey instead of the solid jolt with the original suspension assembly. We've never had much movement inside the camper prior to the install, but for a test I left a napkin holder and salt and pepper shakers on the table ... 300 miles later they were still there. One item I was a little suprised about ... several of you have had shackle bolt holes really wallowed out. I've got probably 15,000+ miles on my fiver which is not a lot, but when I did the install, none of the original bolts, shackles, or teflon bushings were even slightly worn. I wonder what makes the difference?
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:31 AM   #7
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Thanks for the update Dieselguy. I will have to look into them.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:01 PM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We had the same mod done at the TrailAir shop in Goshen. It only took them about an hour, but they were set up to do this work. To Jack it up they dropped the front as low as it would go, that lifted the rear wheels clear of the ground, then they blocked the back really well and lifted the front with a fork lift until the front axle cleared the ground.

We have been very pleased with the results, although we had the TrailAir hitch installed at the same time, so it is hard to know how much each mod. is contributing to the overall ride. We did do an accidental test. Donna left a tall plastic bottle of hand lotion on the bathroom vanity, we drove from near Nashville, TN to Gulf Shores, AL including some really rough sections of I-65 in Birmingham and Montgomery. The bottle was still sitting on the vanity when we got to Gulf Shores. One nice thing about this mod is that all of the bushings get replaced with greased bronze bushings. I can't compare the performance of this mod to any other suspension, but I do like the fact that it is a direct bolt-on replacement for the original suspension.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote