Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2005, 05:18 PM   #1
Montana_4383
Established Member

M.O.C. #4383
2006 Silverado dually tow vehicle

With the Monty purchase still months away, I anxiously awaited the arrival of info on the 2006 Silverado dually and have the following notes: (1) Enhanced intercooled turbocharger (2) Improved 6 speed automatic tranny with a "tap down" manual mode gear shift selector (3) cruise control grade braking..so..???? no gages as an option??? I could not find out if the changes made to the power plant comply with the 2007 requirements for environment friendly diesels. With the changes noted, are gages aftermarket recommended? Also, with the new tranny..what are the recommended after market considerations for safe braking on Rocky Mtn (I25) grades? Thanks in advance for all responses.

Montana_4383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 06:07 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
thedford,
congrats on your new truck, I am sure you will nothing but all smiles when you get that baby towing your new Montana. Also welcome to the MOC. Please feel free to jump right in. As far as the truck goes I had the Pyro and Turbo Boost gauges installed in my Duramax. The Silverado already comes with the tranny temp from the factory along with the main temp gauge. I wanted the pyro mainly to keep an eye on the temps as I climb the mountain pass. In My OPINION, you do not need any aftermarket braking upgrades done to this new truck. Other than my pyro and boost gauges I also installed a custom flow tail gate to make hitching and unhitching easier. The rest of my truck is stock and I feel 100% safe towing my 3400RL anywhere I want to go. I will say you do not need to have the previous gauges installed I mentioned to be able to safely tow a Montana, but I do recommend them. Again, congrats on your new tow rig and let us know how it is doing for you.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:41 PM   #3
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
You don't even need a pyro gauge either unless you modify things the computer in the truck will automatically de-gas to keep the egt temps down.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:23 PM   #4
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
I'd not be very comfortable without the pyrometer. My experience is that you can easily exceed the melting point of aluminum (1350 F) with an un-modified engine when towing. Better to be safe than sorry. Besides, they look really cool and we guys love that stuff!!
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gary & Maggie, congratulations on the new truck. You asked about grade braking in the Rockies on I-25. I've not towed with the new GM but understand GM for 2006 is adding the variable vane geometry in the turbo like my 2003 and 2005 Powerstrokes have. For that reason I wanted to comment on the braking down mountain grades. I assume you are wondering if you need an exhaust brake. Like the TorqueShift, the Allison has the downshifting for grade braking. Now, like the Ford 6.0L PSD, the Duramax also will have exhaust backpressure when the turbo closes the vanes when off-throttle. This effectively acts like an exhaust brake. However, it probably will not be as effective as a true exhaust brake. We've towed our rig (total weight 22,920) through the Rockies on I-70 from west to east and through numerous mountains in both the east and west portions of this country. I am very pleased with the grade braking in my truck. I suspect your new truck will behave in a very similar manner. It is, of course, your call, but in your shoes I'd try it first, then decide whether an exhaust brake is needed.

Hope you enjoy the new truck. It should do a good job for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:31 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Gary and Maggie
We have an '06 GMC. I have done a lot of research on the new Allison and Duramac and we both have read and reread all the info. We have decided to go stock as it appears that the new improvements have taken care of all the previous necessary add-ons.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote