Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2006, 02:47 PM   #21
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Remember a torque wrench used in an industrial application is sent out and re-calibrated every year and when you buy a new quality torque wrench it will have a calibration certificate with it. If you only use this wrench for your Montana and remember to back off the setting every time you use it, it will stay accurate for many years I am sure. A used torque wrench, who knows the history, so it should be re-calibrated for sure.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:50 AM   #22
rvghostdriver
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4518
Craftmen high dollar torque wrench is good if you rebuild engines but wheel lugs have a range of 90 to 120 and do not need a high dollar wrench. Walmart wrench or Harbor Fraight wrench is good enough for lug nuts. No need to spend a lot of money just for lug nut tightening.
rvghostdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:52 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The above is true howver I just used my Sears model to install the bedsaver which meant removing some of the hitch bolts and I would sort of like to have those at the correct torque..again, depends on what and how you intend to use it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:09 PM   #24
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Lots of personal preferences when it comes to tools, wheels, tow vehicels, tires, floor plans, etc. However, not putting aluminum wheels on because of fear is not necessary. It just takes a little bit more precaution. As someone mentioned earlier, they will tend to loosen a little at first and then settle in. Whether you have steel wheels or aluminum, you should still torque them. And don't forget to do it in a star pattern. If you haven't gotten the Keystone torque CD, request one - they're free and they do a good job of explaining the why's and how's. By the way, Menards also has a nice Tool Shop brand that is good and sturdy and comes in a nice case.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:51 PM   #25
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
There is nothing wrong with aluminum rims. Walk around any campground and you will see the majority of high end units,
RVs and pickups have them. The cheap steel wheels that come on new units are not without problems of their own.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:01 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Althoug we have had problems with aluminum wheels that was only a single issue of not getting them on the 3400. Yes the steel wheels are cheapos but so are the aluminum wheels and they tend to get bad looking in a short time depending on the climate. The aluminum wheels were a $660 MSVRP option. I will put that $660.00 toward a really good set of Aluminum wheels and a really good set of tires down the road.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also have the Walmart torque wrench. It may not have quite the precision of a high dollar wrench, but it is good enough for everything I use it for. Someone mentioned rebuilding engines, where precise torque numbers are critical. That requires a high quality wrench. But wheel lug nuts, hitch bolts, and most other things I would do are expressed in a range of torque values. In all those situations I feel being somewhere within the range is good enough. If you're over a couple of lb-ft, nothing is hurt. My torque wrench easily fills that bill. If I were tearing down engines as in my youth I'd have a much better wrench. For what I use it for now, the Walmart wrench works very nicely. As always, just my opinion and not necessarily agreed to by others. Nothing wrong with a high quality wrench, though, especially if it makes you feel better.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:03 PM   #28
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I always get a laugh about dealers and the manufacturer bible, telling everyone to torge the lug nuts after fifty miles and whatever. Your 5vr or tt may have been transported over 500 miles by the rv transporter. Part of his job, before he leaves the yard, is to do the lug nuts. Most have a four bar, and armstrong torque. I would hope that the dealer could at least, check the lugs on a trailer that cost $50,000 or more.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:34 PM   #29
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
As a millwright I pull wrenches for a living and I would estimate that 98 % of the fasteners I tighten, I do by feel, with no torque wrench, as most of the people in my trade. For very special jobs we use torque wrenches and torque multipliers to make sure we are doing the correct torque. I also have tightened the wheels on all my vehicles for the last 38 years without using a torque wrench. Travel trailer aluminum wheels are a different matter and they do require re-torquing when they are mounted. Once they are set they usually are fine but it is only prudent to check them.
This is no laughing matter and when I left on my trip 3 weeks ago, my aluminum wheels took 3 times before they did not require re-torquing. Now 1500 miles later, they have not changed.
Many of the problems people are having with wheels are caused by failure of owners to follow instructions.