Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Need Medicare advise

As anyone who's had to deal with it will tell you Medicare is a rat maze. If I get Medicare part A & B does it make sense to have a supplement? If so what's a good one for full timers? Blue Cross of Kansas isn't real hot on the idea. Also, then you need a plan D provider. Who works well as a plan D for full timers? Thanks for the help in advance!

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
First, we are not full timers. But,

The supplements cover an extensive range of costs beyond what A & B cover, including deductibles, co-pays, extended hospital/nursing home stays, excess medical charges, blood, etc. We have the plan F which covers most everything Medicare A & B does not with up to an additional 365 days skilled nursing if needed. That extended 365 days coverage could prevent a catastrophic financial hit for a serious illness or injury.

The insurance companies have negotiated rates for each service that is far below what you would be charged if you did not have an insurance plan.

As for part D, I chose Humana Walmart. It is the least cost per month, but does have a higher drug deductible. You need to look at the various plans closely based on what meds you take. There are web sites where you can weigh the costs of each plan based on monthly premiums and yearly costs of your meds for different plans. Lower monthly premiums typically mean higher deductibles for the meds. Higher monthly premiums typically mean lower deductibles for the meds. Yearly costs for different plans often end up fairly close (depending on the meds.) But some plans have higher monthly rates plus higher med costs. After looking at a number of them, Humana Walmart was the least expensive yearly costs for what both the DW and I take.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I can't tell you who to go with. You will have to shop for that. I have been advised to go with a supplement and not a Medicare Advantage Plan because of the changes under Obamacare. Also a supplemental policy travels better for an RVer. I use First Health for Part D. They had the best rate and plan when I compared.

When I shop around every year, I call Medicare while I have their site up and discuss with the rep my options. They have always given helpful information. Then I call the provider to discuss details and make the purchase. Advantage, PPO, and HMO plans are too limiting for you to travel extensively.

I have discussed this with doctors and they really don't know the effect of all the Medicare changes coming. The general feeling is that you won't like it.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Also, supposedly a plan should have the same coverage no matter who the insurer is. That is, a plan F from company A should be the same coverage as plan F from companies B & C. However, the costs may be different for the different companies. And some medical facilities may accept some insurers and not others. Would be best to have a supplement from a company that was widely accepted nationwide.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:59 AM   #5
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Yep What they said.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:22 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

Also, supposedly a plan should have the same coverage no matter who the insurer is. That is, a plan F from company A should be the same coverage as plan F from companies B & C. However, the costs may be different for the different companies. And some medical facilities may accept some insurers and not others. Would be best to have a supplement from a company that was widely accepted nationwide.
That's why I was looking at Blue Cross for the supplement. Seems like this deal out to be easier to work out. I know it's government work, however.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:31 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Seems that the insurers are somehow linked to specific states, at least in some cases. We have BlueCross BlueShield of Texas plan F supplement since we live in TX. Not sure how that applies to a full timer.

In Colorado last year, I had to pay a visit to a local doctor. In and out with no money or credit card leaving my pocket. And a minor co-pay for drugs at a local home owned pharmacy (with my Humana Walmart part D plan).
Old 10-16-2012, 04:52 AM   #8
Gorgeguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11255
I go on Medicare in December. I will not take the Advantage plan because it is PPO or HMO and a hassle if you need medical attenion and are not near someone in their plan. Since I travel alot for business and pleasure, that would not work for me. I will probably sign up for Plan G (possible F) with the supplimentals. Mutual of Omaha is the biggest name provider im my county so will go with them. The only difference between F and G is that the first $146 (if I remember right) deductible is covered under F but out of pocket on G. But it is about $20/Month cheaper for G so I won't mind the $146 out of pocket to save $240/yr. At least it will be cheaper than the health insurance I am paying for now.
Gorgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
As full timers we went with AARP United Health Care for the supplement, Plan F and Humana Walmart for Part D. Bob had an unexpected triple bypass last February in Chandler, AZ, followed by an unexpected partial nephrectomy 2 months later at the same hospital. United Health Care picked up 100% of what Medicare didn't pay and we had very little out of pocket on the resulting drugs afterward. Prior to being on Medicare we were uninsured, so you can see we are very grateful to have had the coverage when these major events occurred.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Thanks Pam. Glad it worked out so well for you!
Old 10-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We have had Medicare supplement with AARP (United Health Care) and also Medi D for 7 years now and have had no issues with it. We look at the other plans on a yearly basis but stay with this. It is very confusing so do your homework. The one thing I didn't understand 7 yrs ago was that of the thousands that were billed medicare only approved hundreds. Then they pay 80% of the approved and your supplement picks up the 20%. The docs and hospitals write off the thousands they don't approve. That is why some doctors will not take medicare patients. Good luck and welcome to Medicare.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:12 AM   #12
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I have been on Medicare A and B for a year now and have had no issues. Actually, easier to deal with then my old insurance which unfortunately my wife is still on since she is not yet 65. I have supplemental coverage which picks up all the delta plus perscription medications. Critical and Key to Medicare is identifying a medicare provider, who then has to accept medicare payment schedules. Believe with Obamacare, finding them will be more difficult as Doctors are already starting to not take new medicare patients.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #13
pandew
Established Member

M.O.C. #4408
medicare.gov website gives you pretty much all the info. It will give you a list of physicians and hospitals that accept medicare and whether they will accept what medicare pays or whether they will charge more than medicare and you may have to pick up that difference.
Also they will give you a list of all supplement providers for your home area. You have to pick from your home area list and pay the price that that company charges for your home area. Once you have a supplement it will follow you anywhere you get medicare covered services. If you are eligible for USAA supplemental they were the cheapest in my home area last year.
pandew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #14
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Part of the problem is picking a home area if you're a full timer.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #15
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Dick, sense we moved our address to SD, then last year when we changed age, we were advised that SD only had one choice... Plan F.

Not sure if any of that info is helpful, but... There it is. And you know we have used it quite often for Bob! Our supplement is AARP (United Health Care is the other name for it, I think). We have NOT had to put out any other monies yet.
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #16
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I think United Health Care is the way I'll go, but I'll keep looking at others until I have to decide in December.