Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2007, 02:08 PM   #1
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
A/C not working

Went to use the A/C this weekend for the first time this year, and couldn't get it to work. It sounded like the compressor was working, but not the fan. Attempts to get just the fan to work failed as well. With the thermostat turned all the way up, and the fan switch on ON, and the FAN SPEED set to HI and switch set to COOL, I could hear a slight hum, and the lights dimmed slightly, but no fan. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any replies.

happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
robb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6238
Sounds like you may have a nest inside the cover or a bearing stuck.
Pull the top cover off and try to turn the blades.

2007 3400RL Montana
1999 Volvo 610 pickup
robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:31 PM   #3
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
We have had this problem twice, the last time a few days ago. My husband fixed it by removing the A/C cover and using WD40 then giving the fan a nudge and it works just fine. Diana
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Wait...which fan? There is a Fan up top for the condensor...this one moves air over outdoor coil to allow condensation of freon (release heat). The one inside the rig is behind the return air panel, is a squirrel cage and is the one that moves the air over the evaporator coil to the outlet ducts. If you have no movement of air your problem is with this one.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:04 PM   #5
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by noneck

Wait...which fan? There is a Fan up top for the condensor...this one moves air over outdoor coil to allow condensation of freon (release heat). The one inside the rig is behind the return air panel, is a squirrel cage and is the one that moves the air over the evaporator coil to the outlet ducts. If you have no movement of air your problem is with this one.
This is the fan that's not working. Is it easy to get to? I'm thinking it might just need some oil. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #6
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
STOP Please turn off all power before you open the fan area. Thanks and be safe.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
You could have a "dirt dobber" mud nest on either. I had the problem in the past on each at different times. Remove the inside cover first, you should be able to reach the fan in question to see if it can be turned. You may still need to work from the top as well
Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 02:16 PM   #8
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I had a similar problem and contacted Dometic, it seems they had a bad batch of fan motors, they paid to have mine replaced.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:09 AM   #9
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by happy campers

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by noneck

This is the fan that's not working. Is it easy to get to? I'm thinking it might just need some oil. Thanks for the reply.
So, what's the easiest way to get to the fan? I can't see how the grill comes off from the inside. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:44 AM   #10
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Frank,

on my AC the return-air-vent grill includes plastic tabs on one side which are pressed inward to release. You can then just remove the grill. It is just as easy to replace it. Yours may be different, but this is how mine works.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:29 PM   #11
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

Frank,

on my AC the return-air-vent grill includes plastic tabs on one side which are pressed inward to release. You can then just remove the grill. It is just as easy to replace it. Yours may be different, but this is how mine works.
Thanks for the reply. I found that, and had it apart, but that doesn't get me to the fan. It must be accessed from the top. Probably have to take the big white cover off from the roof?