Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #1
scottkeen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20894
Storing my Motorcycle for the winter in my Montana Toy Hauler

I have a 2011 Montana Mountaineer 347THT fifth wheel toy hauler. I was thinking of storing my motorcycle in it for the winter, with the RV in storage (outdoor).

Is there a danger of fumes or anything with leaving the motorcycle stored in the RV for the next 5 months? I know I could open the vents in the garage, but I'd be concerned about letting bugs and moisture in.

The motorcycle doesn't leak. I suppose I could drain the gas tank if it's absolutely necessary.

Sad to write this that I won't be riding my motorcycle or taking my RV out for FIVE MONTHS. When I used to live in Hawaii for 8 glorious years, I rode my motorcycle EVERY DAY. What am I doing living in Virginia?!? Get me outta here.

Please also recommend other places to live, where the weather is mostly mild and I can still find work (I'm an IT consultant, programmer, network admin). I've been in Virginia/DC for 3 years, and I've had enough of this ridiculousness. I'm interested in Austin, TX...?

scottkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I would see no problem storing your motorcycle in your camper. It certainly needs to be inside.
I live in Virginia to. I’m like you. You can have eastern Virginia. I live west of Roanoke. I’ve never been to a place I’d rather live in. We have mountains and rivers and lakes, hunting and fishing the Appalachian trail, farms and woods, and best of all not too many people. I can set in my easy chair look across the valley 4 miles and watch the fall creep up the mountain. Eastern Va no thanks!
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:11 PM   #3
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
Nashville is on a boom. I work for the Corps of Engineers as IT and constantly get offers from private companies. Look at LinkedIn and set search for the area you want to move to. I ride 9-10 months of the year 100 miles one way. Heated gear does help when temps drop. When temps hit 35 I call it, hate black ice.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:23 PM   #4
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I'd just throw some Sta-bil in the gas tank and store it in the FW.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #5
awheeler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19482
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkeen View Post
I have a 2011 Montana Mountaineer 347THT fifth wheel toy hauler. I was thinking of storing my motorcycle in it for the winter, with the RV in storage (outdoor).

Is there a danger of fumes or anything with leaving the motorcycle stored in the RV for the next 5 months? I know I could open the vents in the garage, but I'd be concerned about letting bugs and moisture in.

The motorcycle doesn't leak. I suppose I could drain the gas tank if it's absolutely necessary.

Sad to write this that I won't be riding my motorcycle or taking my RV out for FIVE MONTHS. When I used to live in Hawaii for 8 glorious years, I rode my motorcycle EVERY DAY. What am I doing living in Virginia?!? Get me outta here.

Please also recommend other places to live, where the weather is mostly mild and I can still find work (I'm an IT consultant, programmer, network admin). I've been in Virginia/DC for 3 years, and I've had enough of this ridiculousness. I'm interested in Austin, TX...?

I was going to say Austin! But, you probably don't want to live right in Austin - we love Dripping Springs/Wimberley. Great places to ride thru the Hill Country.
awheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I store my Honda ATV in an unheated storage building year round and have never smelled any fumes or odors. And I never drain the tank.

Austin summer highs often run around 100 and high humidity. Tough if wearing helmet and leather. Winter lows normally not bad but can drop into teens on occasion. Snow/ice happens but not often.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote