Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2007, 07:50 PM   #101
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Dean, I think you have a good plan. We were told to not leave our tank valves open when stationary. This does allow some odor to come back up the pipes. We only open them to empty the tanks and then close them back up. Glad you've found help on the forum.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 02:28 AM   #102
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I also am now a supporter of keeping both gray tanks closed when stationary. We never had to do that in other campers but the plumbing in this, more complicated unit is obviously different.The smell is gone , it fact we re installed the one way valve in the plumbing as I do not now think that it is defective.We will take a good look at the galley plumbing when at the service center and have them correct whatever is causing the , what is to me, a problem and not a normal thing.The sensors on the galley tank remain a 2/3 full all the time, probably have "stuff" on them.So anyhow my take on the "sewer smell" is it was a self inflected problem helped along by poor design. We live and learn.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:08 AM   #103
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sounds like things (smells) are a little sweeter at your house this morning, Rich and Helen, and that is good news. Glad to hear that you found a solution, at least for now.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:16 AM   #104
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I've always kept the gray, galley and black water valves closed. Empty all three at the same time (sequentially). I don't rely on the sensors, as they are not placed properly anyway. I have never had the sewer smell and feel that you would get it because of outside air pressure flowing across the vent, and not having a closed void to create a vacuum and allow the vapor to be pulled up the vent.
As for the gushing at the outflow of the dump valve, It is caused by a sag in the long lines from both galley and black/gray water tanks. These are both fairly long runs and they are NOT supported very well. On the new 3400, I am going to put some more plumber tape hangers like the factory uses and raise the center of the lines about 3/4 to 1 inch. I also use the blade valve at the dump point, for two reasons, 1) it prevents the gushing, 2) I will let grey water rush into the black water tank for aobut two seconds, to clean the valve seat of any hung up "stuff" and this allows me to do it..
These are the things I've noticed over the 3 years I've owned this 3280. Great Rigs!!!! Problems are problems and in due course we all handle them in one way or another with help and perseverance and faith.
Rick
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:00 AM   #105
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Rick..You are correct about the sensors not being placed in the best place on the tanks for a accurate reading. We looked at that on the factory tour. Keystone installs the sensors and they should at least work. The gushing is not a normal thing.I do not appreciate having to stand aside to prevent being soiled with nasty water.We do not see that warning anywhere in the owners literature. We now keep a straight clear dump tube on the dump valve so we can see what is in there before pulling the cap.Perhaps Keystone should let the owner know that might happen and provide the clear valve.We now know the cause of the sewer smell and how to deal with it..again..perhaps Keystone should advise the owner that it may happen and how to deal with it. Or..even a better idea..design these things so none of those things do happen. We are going to want the service center to correct all those things..we will see how they deal with it.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:34 AM   #106
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Rich, I think we would all be in heaven if every manufacture listed all the does and dont...I guess we can dream though! I wonder just how many of the top guns actually camp? That might be real interesting eh?
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:31 AM   #107
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
We use PINE-SOL in our tanks. While here for the winter we use the PINE-SOL every other dump in the black tank. Also during the summer we travel with some water in the tanks and add the PINE-SOL in the gray tanks and then dump on the way home or in our case at home. The PINE-SOL is to cut the grease and/or sludge and flows out with the water. It also covers the inside of the tank with a oil film so as nothing sticks to the tank or pipes. Putting something granular in the tanks could possibly eat the seals because of being gritty. I have the valve on the end of the dump pipe because by opening the gray tank valves and keeping that closed we have 76 gals of holding gray water. I hope the PINE-SOL dissolves the sludge problem.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #108
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Oh campbud I was just being facetious. I do that when I get fustrated. I would love to be able to have Arhm bend down and open the valve after we have sloshed down the road from Ohio . My guess is that the next camper off the line would not have that problem. Spoke to another 3400 owner here at the FCRV campvention(there are 7 montana's in our row alone) and they have the same "flow problem.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:38 PM   #109
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well we repaired the broken hanger bar. (3400) did you know that on the Tv side the support is just screwed through that thin wall board with two wood screws, no support of any kind on the other side not to mention that the hanger tube is hollow plastic and bent like a string of spaghetti. We had remembered a fix someone else did on the forum for the same problem. New support, Lowes, $1.41. Chunk of junk wood on the other side to screw the new screws into and it is better than new. The service center is going to have to re enforce that area.Have none of you full timers or long timers had the hanger bar break or did they leave something off our 3400 or Maybe Helen has to many clothes..It broke on her side of the closet.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:02 PM   #110
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Hazmic,

I was told not to use Pine-sol because it would damage the rubber seals??? How long have you been using it, and have you had any problems?
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:12 PM   #111
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I was wondering about that too...I bought some Pine Sol, but read here it was too harsh on the system, so I haven't used it yet.
Maybe the exception would be for a good cleaning now and then?
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:22 PM   #112
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We went to one of those "black tank" seminars and one of the things they said never to use was pine Sol. In fact they said the best thing to use was nothing at all..use a lot of water and flush. We use cheap frabric softner for a smell pretty if needed..
Old 03-19-2007, 05:46 PM   #113
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
One thing I've always done from the early days of our rv'ing...use a little Dawn dishsoap in each tank after emptying. It's a great degreaser and cheap. We no longer use the harsh chemicals in our tanks. I'd have to look out there to see what my cocktail is I use these days.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:43 AM   #114
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
My source said to use PINE-SOL. It won't hurt anything and also helps lube the gate for easier operation. He also said when hooked up to sewer to use plenty of water,which has been said hear before, so as to keep from mounding and flushed out. Also if you have a problem with sludge you can use the enzymes that you put into septic systems. Also to close the gates when they are wet. Do not close them when the tanks are dry as it could ruin the seals. Never thought of that.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:50 AM   #115
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
It think I posted this on the 1st page...you can use the same chemicals you put in your black tank and it will eliminate the smell.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:28 AM   #116
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We just got off the phone with Darrell Turner at the Goshen Service Center. We wanted to check on space at Camp keystone there at the service center..No problem. He said they had our latest updated fix list in hand. Were up to date on our "melt down" problem and were ready to correct all our concerns and issues. We have been communicating with Tom Brandon and he has been keeping both us and the service center updated. These service center and Team Montana folks are true professionals and craftsmen. We have toured the service center. We have seen how they operate.We feel we are in good hands and will pull out of there with a"better than new" 3400.We may have problems with our Montana's but one thing you can be confident of..They will stand behind the product.All of our communication and interaction with the team Montana folks has been at the most professional level. Ole Rich does not sugar coat anything when it comes to Montana problems but will give credit where credit is due.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:24 AM   #117
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Item # 26.. Used our 50 amp power cord yesterday. Uncoiled it today at Lake lanier CG here in Ga . Surge protector says the pole is good. Nothing at the camper, Went to our 30 amp cord..Got power. Checked all 50 amp connectors......good. Camper two spots up on 30 amps drug down his 50amp cord....works fine. did not ring it outdid not ohm it out,,will not do that..Another vendor supplied item bites the dust.Un fortunately they are all in my Montana...It become item # 26 on the failed items list.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #118
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Rich, what campground are you in, that is my old stomping grounds. The first campground we stayed in after we sold our house was Old Federal Corp. of Engineer Park.

There are some real nice parks on the lake and you can't find a prettier lake.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #119
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Lake Lanier Islands Resort Campground. Beautiful resort. Passport America campground..4 days 78.00.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #120
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Rich
Your sewer smell could be coming from your washing machine drain pipe. We were told to seal the hose going into the pipe with some tape or a piece of rubber. It will let the stink into the trailer. Just a thought.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote