Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2023, 01:36 PM   #1
DDPhillips52
Established Member

M.O.C. #33040
Slow drains

Proud owner of 2023 3793RD. Issue with black and gray tank drains. Previous 5th wheel, drains gushed when first opened. This one, both drains just trickle.out slowly. Almost seems.like valves are not opening completely. Trailer is only a month old and been this way since new. Galley tank drains normally. Anyone else seen this and what was the solution? We live in it full time so return to dealer is not an option.

DDPhillips52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 05:45 PM   #2
Rotnjonny
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32150
I have a 2022 3791RD which is fundamentally the same floor plan. I have experienced the same issue. When the unit is level, the tanks drain VERY slow. I allow the grey tank to fill before draining. The black tank, I keep the flush hooked up. I run the flush to add volume and then pull the drain. Again making sure I have as much volume as possible. When we are preparing to leave, I run the front jacks up high before hitching and make sure to pull the drains and thoroughly flush. The galley tank doesn’t appear to have the same issues.

Maybe someone else has a better solution? I am hopeful 😊
Rotnjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 06:31 PM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDPhillips52 View Post
Proud owner of 2023 3793RD. Issue with black and gray tank drains. Previous 5th wheel, drains gushed when first opened. This one, both drains just trickle.out slowly. Almost seems.like valves are not opening completely. Trailer is only a month old and been this way since new. Galley tank drains normally. Anyone else seen this and what was the solution? We live in it full time so return to dealer is not an option.
I'd reach out to Keystone directly and request a mobile tech. That can't be normal. It's entirely possible that you have a valve problem. On mine I have to pull like hell to get the galley valve to open all the way. The rest drain fine.
Old 10-01-2023, 07:23 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I have read where they let the pipe hole core fall into the tank when they drill out the plumbing holes when they are building the rig. The owner experience was similar to yours. They discovered the core wedged in the valve using an endoscope. I don't recall how they got it out.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 10:12 AM   #5
Schlep1967

M.O.C. #33682
I have basically the same set-up, 3931FB. The front tanks are located in the drop frame. When the trailer is level, the tank drains are basically level with no fall to the outlet. If you look under the trailer you can see the drain going towards the front. Another issue with this is some people will tell you that you can equalize your tanks. If I try to do that the black in the middle of the trailer will all drain to the black in the front of the trailer. Because it sits about a foot lower.
Jacking up the front is the best way to get the front tanks to drain. Which is really inconvenient if you are staying somewhere for a week and need to drain mid-week.
Schlep1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 08:59 AM   #6
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Recently replaced leaking kitchen gray tank valve, the seal was not seated and there was a piece of a plastic rapper in the valve drain.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 03:43 PM   #7
Diesel guy
Established Member

M.O.C. #33012
Same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotnjonny View Post
I have a 2022 3791RD which is fundamentally the same floor plan. I have experienced the same issue. When the unit is level, the tanks drain VERY slow. I allow the grey tank to fill before draining. The black tank, I keep the flush hooked up. I run the flush to add volume and then pull the drain. Again making sure I have as much volume as possible. When we are preparing to leave, I run the front jacks up high before hitching and make sure to pull the drains and thoroughly flush. The galley tank doesn’t appear to have the same issues.

Maybe someone else has a better solution? I am hopeful 😊
My 22 3871RL has the same issue. I had the dealership check the tanks out and found no issues. He said the same thing about the tanks being level. I fill them before I empty and jack up the front end before I leave to ensure they are drained.
Diesel guy is offline   Reply With Quote