Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Rio Grande Winter Texans
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
RGV 'Skeeters'

Here is some info on the current Blood sucking monsters;
Re: mosquitoes! OR blood sucking Pelicans?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I may have a partial answer to the problem. I just saw the fogger go by, so yes he is spraying tonight. I know that the speed limit in front of my house is 30 mph, however, just a thought...more dead bugs if ye drive 5 mph, not 30. I know the town takes time at 5 mph, but whatsa matter?? Hot date ?

Er I mean, thank you oh city for spraying.

Also please note at this time I am not answering the tourist on other thread who wants to know if it is safe to come here...and to be outside wearing anything other than plate male armor.

Er I mean, thank you oh city for spraying

I guess as long as they are all dead before Music fest comes this fall, featuring Willie Nelson.....As I really want to see Willie and the Red Cross advises I not go outside after dark anymore. I have needed 2 transfusions in last 3 days.

Er I mean, thank you oh city for spraying

RayDean
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by RayDean
Add RayDean to Your Buddy List

08-01-2008, #20
SouthPadreLive

South Padre Area Re: mosquitoes! OR blood sucking Pelicans?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COLLEGE STATION - Heavy rains and flooding from Hurricane Dolly have brought out the mosquitoes and, with them, the need to understand more about their biology and control, said a Texas AgriLife Extension Service expert.
To help educate people in affected areas about mosquitoes and mosquito control, AgriLife Extension has provided fact sheets and other publications to AgriLife Extension offices in Aransas, Bexar, Brooks, Calhoun, Cameron, Hidalgo, Jim Wells, Kenedy, Kleberg, Nueces, Refugio, San Patricio, Starr, Victoria and Willacy counties.
"This information is available through the AgriLife Extension agricultural and natural resources agents, family and consumer sciences agents or others at these locations," said Dr. Mark Johnsen, AgriLife Extension medical entomologist with AgriLife Extension's department of agricultural and environmental safety.
"The aftermath of Hurricane Dolly has made South Texas a hotbed for mosquito activity," he said.
There are two waves of mosquito activity which typically follow a flooding event, Johnsen noted.
"The first wave of mosquitoes are flood-water mosquitoes, which include salt marsh and pastureland mosquitoes," he said "These are generally more of an annoyance than a threat to animal or human health but are still possible disease vectors."
Johnsen said the second wave, which typically comes a few weeks later, consists mainly of standing-water mosquitoes which breed in stagnating post-flood water.
The southern house mosquito is the most significant of the standing-water mosquitoes because it has been identified as the "primary vector"for spreading West Nile virus and St. Louis encephalitis, he said.
"A vaccine has been developed to protect horses from West Nile, but there is currently no vaccine for humans," he said. "There is also no (human) vaccine for St. Louis encephalitis, and treatment is limited to addressing the symptoms of these diseases."
Johnsen said the best way for people to protect themselves from mosquitoes after flooding is by applying the "four Ds" of mosquito control - DEET, dusk/dawn, dress and drain.
He suggests using a mosquito repellent, preferably one with DEET; restricting dusk and dawn activity as these are peak times for mosquitoes; dressing in loose-fitting, light-colored, long-sleeve shirts or blouses and long pants; and draining, cleaning or covering all containers that can hold water for more than three days.
Johnsen's new publication "Potential Mosquito Problems after a Hurricane" is available for free download at the Agricultural and Environmental Safety Web site at http://www-aes.tamu.edu . Other free publications available at this Web site include "Mosquito Life Cycle" and "The Best Way to Control Mosquitoes."
Additional information can be found in AgriLife Extension publication E-333, "Mosquito Control Around the Home," available through http://agrilifebookstore.org/ .
-30-

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote