Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #21
Bummer
Established Member

M.O.C. #13427
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leemedic

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bummer

Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

The A/C units lower the temp then cut off, with all the carbon-based units in there breathing, sweating, cooking and showering, overloads the ability to dehumidify the space. Good advice is to run the A/C fans continuously the compressors will cycle on and off as needed.
Don't use a fan to exhaust air, it only brings in humid warm air into the space.
X2 I totally agree

Does it only dehumidify when the compressor is running?

Also, what size extension should I get when ordering some of these replacement AC vents?

I was going to get the jet stream like you did, but without the foam filter.

The options for the extension is 7/8, 1 1/8, and 1 1/2 inch.

Thanks
I ordered the 1 1/8. Also when they arrive, you will see that they are 1/8 larger in diameter, so I place a sander roll in my drill and enlarged the opening. It took me 10 minutes on each vent.

You will also need to go to Ace hardware, Lowes or Home Depot and get some "Metal Tape" to replace the tape that will need to be removed to enlarge the hole.

I LOVE my new vents. It now blows my hair when standing beneath them, and I am almost bald! LOL
Can I point the air anywhere I want with those vents?

It's a little hard to tell by the picture. It looks like it rotates and I can adjust the vents to point in a certain direction.

Bummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #22
Bummer
Established Member

M.O.C. #13427
Quote:

Hi,
Yes on the dehumidification, but the circulation keeps the air mixed up and would be more comfortable for you. I would take a vent out, measure the distance between the ceiling and the ducting. Keep the throat as short as possible. I had to trim all of mine. The system pressurizes the duct run and it just comes out the vents. Less restriction means better airflow.
I saw some of the modifications you did Ozz.

Is the ceiling one big air duct?

How did you know where to drill the holes to add all those vents?

I would like to put a second vent for my bedroom AC. We actually like the white noise from it, but I wish there was more air flow for that single AC instead of just the one vent. The vent in the bathroom requires that door to be open and multiple people use that bathroom, so it's closed most of the time during the night. I'm also worried that adding more vents will mean the compressor will run less because the thermostat is in the bedroom and it will cool quicker.

The extra vent may not be neccessary if I replace the existing vents and allow the air to flow out of that one and I can point it to the bed. It just comes out by the ceiling in a rotational direction at this point. I tried cracking open the air dump slightly to get a little air towards the bed that way.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #23
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
When you remove a vent, you can do location tests to find where it goes, straighten one of the Mrs. coathangers for a probe.
Just leave the fan running constantly, the compressor will cycle on and off as needed, you will have your white noise then.
You will have a more even cool temperature that was as well.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #24
cwalker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9730
When your wife is cooking always make sure the exhaust fan is on.
cwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #25
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The A/C units lower the temp then cut off, with all the carbon-based units in there breathing, sweating, cooking and showering, overloads the ability to dehumidify the space. Good advice is to run the A/C fans continuously the compressors will cycle on and off as needed.
Don't use a fan to exhaust air, it only brings in humid warm air into the space.
X2 I totally agree

Does it only dehumidify when the compressor is running?

Also, what size extension should I get when ordering some of these replacement AC vents?

I was going to get the jet stream like you did, but without the foam filter.

The options for the extension is 7/8, 1 1/8, and 1 1/2 inch.

Thanks
I ordered the 1 1/8. Also when they arrive, you will see that they are 1/8 larger in diameter, so I place a sander roll in my drill and enlarged the opening. It took me 10 minutes on each vent.

You will also need to go to Ace hardware, Lowes or Home Depot and get some "Metal Tape" to replace the tape that will need to be removed to enlarge the hole.

I LOVE my new vents. It now blows my hair when standing beneath them, and I am almost bald! LOL
Can I point the air anywhere I want with those vents?

It's a little hard to tell by the picture. It looks like it rotates and I can adjust the vents to point in a certain direction.
Yes, you can rotate them in any direction.
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #26
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
we find that the thermostat needs to be turned down lower than our usual comfort level at home. At 70-73 the compressors do not run enough to keep the air dry. 70 daytime and 67-68 at night even at Fort Pickens in July and we never see condensation inside the trailer. We have two 15k BTU units on our 3075RL and very seldom run both. We switch units depending on where the noise works best. When we cook (very seldom) inside, we run the fantastic vent and the stove hood fan, and will run both ACs during that period. We will sometimes run both units to cool down when setting up in the heat of the day.
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:06 AM   #27
Bummer
Established Member

M.O.C. #13427
Quote:

Can you also adjust the fins or just rotate the entire vent?

Thanks
Old 06-11-2013, 01:12 AM   #28
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The vent vanes rotates inside the housing on mine.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:03 AM   #29
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We have always carried one of the small dehumidifiers with us in the rig. Ours is actually a Windchaser brand and we got it at Walmart for around $50, but I don't think they are made any longer. Looking on-line, it appears that the small table-top Eva-Dry's are very similar. Our little model will pull a couple of cups of water a day out of the air and one of them will handle the entire rig. We usually are forced to use it primarily when we are camping in colder temperatures with the heat on, to prevent water from condensing on the windows. Ours works well.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:54 AM   #30
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks
The fins are fixed. You will see the huge difference when you compare the vents. You will receive a much higher flow of cooled air.
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:54 AM   #31
Bummer
Established Member

M.O.C. #13427
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks
The fins are fixed. You will see the huge difference when you compare the vents. You will receive a much higher flow of cooled air.
The vents are so cheap I ordered a couple of the adjustable in case I don't like the fixed fins. It looks like the vents you used allow the most air flow, so going to put them in the majority of the trailer.

Thanks again for everyone's advice and I'll let you all know how it works out.