Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
Bummer
Established Member

M.O.C. #13427
3625RE Humidity Problem?

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2013 3625RE Montana and we've noticed that it seems very humid while sleeping even though we have 2 ACs (living and bedroom) running. I dropped the temperature to 73 and the thermometer that I put in the room says 73, but it doesn't feel comfortable when sleeping. We are in the west central Florida area and I don't remember having this issue with our Jayco travel trailer. We have 2 adults, 1 teenager, 1 toddler, and 2 dogs staying in it.

Is this normal?

It seems the 2 AC systems should be sufficient to remove the humidity. I have a big dehumidifier that I'm going to take down as a test next weekend.

Thanks

Bummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
If you are running your thermostat fan on auto, I suggest that you run them on high. The compressors will still cycle with the temps set on the thermostat, but the constant airflow helps with the humidity. You are in a very humid area.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Bummer
Established Member

M.O.C. #13427
We keep the fans on auto during the day and turn them on at night for the white noise. It is definitely very humid, but it was humid last year and it didn't seem real humid in the Jayco TT at night.

I'm not sure if this is just a known problem with fifth wheels or I should be looking for something that might be causing it.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
No known problem I'm aware of. You are probably dealing with a lot more square footage with the Montana. We have two full sized AC units and still would take a small portable dehumidifier with us if we were going to Florida, even in the winter.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Montana is a bit bigger than the Jayco TT. Since you have the AC set at 73 and it is 73 then the AC is operating normal. The dehumidifier may be a good idea. We do not have that problem but we do not have as many bodies as you have in the camper.
You might also try running the fantastic fan.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
Bummer
Established Member

M.O.C. #13427
I was wondering about the fantastic fan and whether that might be helpful to remove moisture. I've only used it once when my wife was cooking. The Montana square footage is much larger than the Jayco, but with 2 ACs I would think that is sufficient. I'm hoping the dehumidifier helps out a bit and I will turn on the fantastic fan every time when my wife cooks. Maybe the vent in the bathroom during showers will remove some moisture as well.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Bummer,

We have two Eva Dry 2000 dehumidifiers, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. They are small, use 12 volts and work great. They are pretty quiet as well and for cost ( about $80 each) were well worth the purchase.

We keep them on when the humidity in coach gets above 50%.

Good luck,

Les
Old 06-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We run the fantastic fan on manual low settings when we have the A/c running to provide circulation and it draws the hot air which rises from the top of the camper. In fact we run the fan most of the time.,
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bummer

I was wondering about the fantastic fan and whether that might be helpful to remove moisture. I've only used it once when my wife was cooking. The Montana square footage is much larger than the Jayco, but with 2 ACs I would think that is sufficient. I'm hoping the dehumidifier helps out a bit and I will turn on the fantastic fan every time when my wife cooks. Maybe the vent in the bathroom during showers will remove some moisture as well.
My concern running the fantastic fan is it could draw humid air from the basement area.

The key here is take your a/c units off of "auto" and put them on high.

I also live in Florida, and camp here. I changed out the a/c vents for a better flowing vent. I now have NO issues with humidity.

Take a look at this topic I started. It just might help you a bit too.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=53652
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:58 AM   #10
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We run the fantastic fan on manual low settings when we have the A/c running to provide circulation and it draws the hot air which rises from the top of the camper. In fact we run the fan most of the time.,
X2. Both fans are always on low at least. The one in the kitchen will be higher if we are cooking.
Bigsky3625RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #11
Bummer
Established Member

M.O.C. #13427
Thanks for all the tips. I am glad you brought up the AC vents topic because the current vents drive me nuts. You can't point them exactly where you want the air. I have noticed that the bedroom AC has 2 vents with one in the bedroom and one in the bathroom. The bathroom vent seems to blow a lot harder than the bedroom vent. I definitely want to swap them out so I'll start looking around for some that fit.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #12
Bummer
Established Member

M.O.C. #13427
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bigboomer

Bummer,

We have two Eva Dry 2000 dehumidifiers, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. They are small, use 12 volts and work great. They are pretty quiet as well and for cost ( about $80 each) were well worth the purchase.

We keep them on when the humidity in coach gets above 50%.

Good luck,

Les
Great, I'll check into getting some of these. I have one of those big basement dehumidifiers from living up north for a brief period of time. I was going to use it as a test.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #13
Bummer
Established Member

M.O.C. #13427
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bigsky3625RE

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

X2. Both fans are always on low at least. The one in the kitchen will be higher if we are cooking.
I'll experiment with the fans. It is our season for scattered afternoon showers, so I get a little skeptical about leaving the vents open for the fans. The fantastic fan does have a rain sensor so if it works well then I should at least be able to keep that one on.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The A/C units lower the temp then cut off, with all the carbon-based units in there breathing, sweating, cooking and showering, overloads the ability to dehumidify the space. Good advice is to run the A/C fans continuously the compressors will cycle on and off as needed.
Don't use a fan to exhaust air, it only brings in humid warm air into the space.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #15
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

The A/C units lower the temp then cut off, with all the carbon-based units in there breathing, sweating, cooking and showering, overloads the ability to dehumidify the space. Good advice is to run the A/C fans continuously the compressors will cycle on and off as needed.
Don't use a fan to exhaust air, it only brings in humid warm air into the space.
X2 I totally agree
Old 06-10-2013, 09:52 AM   #16
Bummer
Established Member

M.O.C. #13427
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leemedic

Quote:

X2 I totally agree

Does it only dehumidify when the compressor is running?

Also, what size extension should I get when ordering some of these replacement AC vents?

I was going to get the jet stream like you did, but without the foam filter.

The options for the extension is 7/8, 1 1/8, and 1 1/2 inch.

Thanks
Old 06-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi,
Yes on the dehumidification, but the circulation keeps the air mixed up and would be more comfortable for you. I would take a vent out, measure the distance between the ceiling and the ducting. Keep the throat as short as possible. I had to trim all of mine. The system pressurizes the duct run and it just comes out the vents. Less restriction means better airflow.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #18
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:

Hi,
Yes on the dehumidification, but the circulation keeps the air mixed up and would be more comfortable for you. I would take a vent out, measure the distance between the ceiling and the ducting. Keep the throat as short as possible. I had to trim all of mine. The system pressurizes the duct run and it just comes out the vents. Less restriction means better airflow.
I totally agree with Oz. I was told by our technician when we purchased our Monty to run the A/C fan on HIGH. The A/C will cycle as necessary to maintain the temp.

If you will notice the vents in your staircase. You can see the area into your basement. When you run an exhaust fan, you are creating a vacuum in your Monty. It has to replace air from somewhere, so it will come from your basement area. That air is humid air from the outside.

I live in SW Florida and I run the A/C on high for the first day to rid the humidity. I set up both A/C units in this manner. I also have a fan blowing the cooler air from the bedroom into the living area since the bedroom cools much quicker.

My recommendation is do not run your vented fan unless you need to remove odors or smoke, and only run it for a short time.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #19
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bummer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by leemedic

Quote:

X2 I totally agree

Does it only dehumidify when the compressor is running?

Also, what size extension should I get when ordering some of these replacement AC vents?

I was going to get the jet stream like you did, but without the foam filter.

The options for the extension is 7/8, 1 1/8, and 1 1/2 inch.

Thanks
I ordered the 1 1/8. Also when they arrive, you will see that they are 1/8 larger in diameter, so I place a sander roll in my drill and enlarged the opening. It took me 10 minutes on each vent.

You will also need to go to Ace hardware, Lowes or Home Depot and get some "Metal Tape" to replace the tape that will need to be removed to enlarge the hole.

I LOVE my new vents. It now blows my hair when standing beneath them, and I am almost bald! LOL
Old 06-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #20
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Actually, by running the fan continuously you do get some extra dehumidifying action. Until the coils warm up to room temperature you will still be able to wring some extra moisture out of the air. Not a lot, but every little bit helps.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote