Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Water Heater Switches

Just noticed there are two switches to the electric side of the water heater, one inside on the control panel and one on the water heater outside. My old SOB had only the outside one. Can you just leave the outside one "on" and use the inside only to control the heater?

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Yes, as long as you are 100% sure there is water in the heater. Before draining the tank for winterization or service, turn the outside switch off and insert the pin. This prevent accidental engerization by someone bumping the switch inside the unit. Ours is on the wall to the bedroom and very easy to hit without realizing it.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
That's what we do, we only use the inside switch when we want faster recovery time for the hot water. The outside switch is for daily operation as there is and AC component to the heater. The inside switch turns on the electrical coil inside the heater, otherwise we just use propane.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If you store your RV for long periods, then it's recommended you drain your tank. Since this is what I do, I turn off both switches. Then when we are out RVing, I let the tank fill and use the inside switch and sometimes forget to turn on the outside switch.

What I'd like to know is if the outside switch is left on, is it truly on and since I drain the tank I could burn out the electrical element, or does turning off the propane switch also turn off the outside switch? I have a Suburban 10 gallon Propane/electric water heater in case that matters.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #5
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
On our 2005 2955 the outside switch will run the electric element even if the WH switch inside is off.
That way you can run either electric or gas or both. Of course I put a switch inside with a light to let me know the electric was on also 'cause I'm lazy.
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The newer models have two electric switches (one inside and one outside) in addition to the propane switch on the inside. I turn the outside one off when in transport or storage mode. Then I turn the outside switch on during the setup process after hooking up the water and making sure there is water in the tank. Then I turn the inside electric switch on to start the water heater. This process will hopefully protect me from burning up heater elements (been there done that on the single switch model) As Phil mentioned you can supplement the electric heating with propane by turning both inside switches on. This comes in very handy for us, since there are three water hogs (women) in the rig at most times. I do not think the inside electric switch is functional unless the outside switch is turned on, but that needs confirmed if anyone wants to try. The inside propane switch is completely independent of the inside and outside electric switches.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

The newer models have two electric switches (one inside and one outside) in addition to the propane switch on the inside. I turn the outside one off when in transport or storage mode. Then I turn the outside switch on during the setup process after hooking up the water and making sure there is water in the tank. Then I turn the inside electric switch on to start the water heater. This process will hopefully protect me from burning up heater elements (been there done that on the single switch model) As Phil mentioned you can supplement the electric heating with propane by turning both inside switches on. This comes in very handy for us, since there are three water hogs (women) in the rig at most times. I do not think the inside electric switch is functional unless the outside switch is turned on, but that needs confirmed if anyone wants to try. The inside propane switch is completely independent of the inside and outside electric switches.
Bingo
Bingo, I am now confused. I have one switch outside on the unit, which I was told must be on to supply electrical to the solenoid valves and igniter. I was told the switch inside turns on the electrical heating element inside the tank for a quicker reheat rate. I also have a circuit breaker in the breaker panel labeled HWH. This CB shuts it all down, regardless where the two electrical switches are. My assumption is I have a propane water heater with an electrical backup. I have a Surburban SW10DE.

If someone knows differently, for sure, please post.....
Old 02-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
It is my understanding that the outside switch on the HWH is for the electric heating element. It must be OFF with no water in the tank. The switch inside the 5er is to turn the propane portion of the HWH ON/OFF. The HWH Circuit Breaker on the AC Panel is to the outside switch on the HWH. Some folks turn the outside switch ON and use the HWH Circuit Breaker as a Switch to turn the HWH electric heating element ON/OFF(Bad idea) Hope this helps.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
My HWH works like Don and Annie's. Outside switch works the electrical element. Switch inside works the propane. Our rig is an 02 so they may have changed the way they do things in the later rigs.
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:06 AM   #10
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Phil,
I believe Bingo is correct. The outside switch is a safety switch in case the inside switch is turned on by accident with no water in the tank. The water heaters can be operated on either propane or electric. The newer units have both gas and electric switches inside the rig.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:42 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Phil and others,
Jim described it correctly. On the newer models (ours is a 2011) there are three switches for the water heater. Electric outside on the side of the heater (black toggle switch with pin), electric on the inside (red lighted toggle switch) and propane on the inside (red lighted toggle switch). Clear as mud????
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:24 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Wow, Call me an idiot, all these years thinking I was using the propane for the HWH. Another question, if the electric switch is off and the propane switch on, where does the heater get electrical power to start the gas flow and ignite? Could it be a 12 volt thing????? I would like to thank the technician where I bought my unit for telling me wrong. Go figure!!!!!

I always wondered why my propane usage was so low........
Old 02-02-2011, 03:53 AM   #13
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
Send a message via AIM to arcateq
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Phil and others,
Jim described it correctly. On the newer models (ours is a 2011) there are three switches for the water heater. Electric outside on the side of the heater (black toggle switch with pin), electric on the inside (red lighted toggle switch) and propane on the inside (red lighted toggle switch). Clear as mud????
Bingo
My HWH works good (better with gas) but no red light when on for either electric or gas and i take it there should be?. Something else to add to the list of things to fix before the 1yr warranty is up!
arcateq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:33 AM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The red light may be model dependent. Phil, on your 3400 (like ours was) is the propane switch on the inside beside the stairs going into the bedroom?? I think it was on the same panel as the water pump. Our 2007 3400 had one outside electric switch and one inside propane switch. The propane igniter works off of DC not electric or else you could not have hot water when boondocking. Here is the control panel on our 3750FL. The gas and electric water heater controls are on the left of the top row. In our model every interior switch is back lit when activated (other than the awnings and slides):

Bingo

Old 02-02-2011, 04:43 AM   #15
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bingo, Yep, our switches are on the tank indicator panel, one for water pump and one for HTR, AND as I stated, I always thought that the HTR switch was for the electrical element and not the gas. Oh Well, always learning something new on this here forum. That just means whenever I have the propane ON for the heater, (which is most of the time), that stupid red light will glow.....

BTW: I like the fact that on the newer models, that panel is behind a door. I have never liked all these switches being together like they are in mine. Reach for the fan and hit the slide switch on ocassion. My panel was also screwed directly to the panelling and I had to put small pieces of backer wood behind the screws to keep the thing in the wall.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:47 AM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Phil,
Keep in mind also that if you are on a non-metered site, that it costs you nothing extra to use the electric side of the water heater instead of using propane on your penny!!
Bingo
Old 02-02-2011, 04:51 AM   #17
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Yep, I have always thought of that. Right now, paying for electric. Still not sure which costs more, elec or propane......
Old 02-02-2011, 05:26 AM   #18
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
I suggest that you don't even use the rocker switch on the water heater. It's the weakest link in the chain and will fry itself in a very short time. And it's a pain to replace and hard to find in any store. I had to search several electronic distributors to find them.

For winterizing I turn off the breaker and put a sticky note on the inside switch (which I installed 'cause I have a 2005.)

But still we've managed to fry at least 3 heater elements over the years. Most good hardware stores carry them. Carry a spare.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:28 AM   #19
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MuddyPaws

I suggest that you don't even use the rocker switch on the water heater. It's the weakest link in the chain and will fry itself in a very short time. And it's a pain to replace and hard to find in any store. I had to search several electronic distributors to find them.

For winterizing I turn off the breaker and put a sticky note on the inside switch (which I installed 'cause I have a 2005.)

But still we've managed to fry at least 3 heater elements over the years. Most good hardware stores carry them. Carry a spare.
Thanks, I will remember this, IF and when I decide to winterize.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:19 AM   #20
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Bingo,

I like where your panel is located also. Our 2011 still has it mounted on the wall by the stairs.