Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975
2010-3665RE Problems

I have been having so many problems with my 2010 3665RE, I thought I would start a new topic on it. There are the odd small problems inside and out that are no big deal and we all have them.

I currently have front end movement Frame flex/body flex what ever you want to call it. Keystone is in the process of getting me in to Pendleton as I explained in another post.
And they won't pay for our lodging/expenses. Can you believe that. This Rv is only one year old.

Today:
I just found out another big problem with my brakes on the fifth wheel. I noticed that the breaking on the trailer was not working as it should. As per the manufacture instruction manual I started the re burnish process (I think that was what it was called) from 40 mph breaking to 20 mph in case I glazed the brakes. Any way I decided to take off the drum from the tire that was the hottest of the 4. I noticed that the break was ready for replacement (maybe 3/16" material left in the lowest place) worn out bad. I put it back together and was planning to take it in to the next break shop on my travels for new brakes installed. Again I thought that the brake was way too worn for the amount of driving I have done. Then I decided to remove the other tire and drum on the same side since I had all the tools there. The brake is completely contaminated with grease. I am going to assume that the two on the other side are the same as I can see some grease on the outside of the drum on the edge.

What is next on this Montana a tire blow out. I have been pulling Travel Trailers and fifth wheels on and off my whole life and never ever had these kind of problems. The quality control on the units are unacceptable, Are these RV's made in China or something. I am so pissed off right now.

Anyway thanks for listening.

I would post picture of everything we have been going threw with our unit but I don't know how. I will see Robbie and Alice tomorrow, he can show me how.

GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Not surprised the brake is wore out,sounds like it was doing all the work if the other three are coated with grease. Have you ever greased the wheel bearings using the zerk fittings?
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975
I will find out on Monday if the other two have grease in them. Ya one brake doing all the work. No I have'nt greased them yet. No need, there is only about 8000 miles on the RV.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
You might be able to get something out of Dexter. They are replacing my right front brake assembly as the grease seal must have never seated properly and totally contaminated the shoes and everything else inside that drum, plus they are suppling the Service Center with new seals for the other three wheels which they checked, they were OK. The Dexter service person on the phone needed to verify with me that the bearings had not been greased previously, which they hadn't. It's worth a phone call. Best of luck.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:25 AM   #5
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975
I will pull the other two drums off today and take a look. RV Lifestyle will fix this mess on Monday.
I sent Keystone an E-mail. This is in there hands as it is under warranty.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:00 AM   #6
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975
I pulled another drum off and it was also contaminated. I am going to let the dealer remove the last drum and they can record some info.

I sent Dexter an e-mail also today. Lets see what they have to say.

I will post here some info I took off the axle, maybe some one else has the same and can check there brakes out.

The info I got off the one axle is:

Keystone RV Plant #4
Goshen, IN
PO: 919625-4
HF = 86.50 SC = 68.50
D70 Dex#:1550131
Order#: 367104-2
p13 - Albion
Due: 08/26/09
08 22 09 S1 L99
52 of 70

Gary
Old 11-14-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Gary,
Sorry to hear of your problems with the rig. We just had our brakes inspected at 12K miles and all 4 of them needed replacing including the drums. In my opinion, the brakes should have lasted longer than that. I can only assume that they were not installed correctly originally. I will see how long these new ones last. Take care, travel safe and we will see you and Jude at Quartzsite!!!

Jack
Old 11-14-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Sounds to me like they (Dexter/Keystone ?) are greasing the wheel bearings with a pneumatic gun...a no-no.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #9
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975
Jack:

What was you reason for replacing your brakes?
Were they also contaminated with grease?
And why new drums?
Old 11-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #10
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Gary,
There was no grease contamination on our brake shoes and the seals had not failed. The shoes were just about gone though and when they went to turn the drums they were beyond the safe limit (thickness) so they required replacing too. Again, I can only assume that something wasn't installed properly from the beginning which caused everything to wear out so quickly. We are not hard on the brakes and I feel they should last longer than 12K miles.
Jack
Old 11-14-2010, 11:55 PM   #11
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Is it possible that the dealer thought he would do a good thing and greased the hubs? I agree, a pneumatic gun is a no no.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #12
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975
Update:

I would like to thank Keystone for picking up the repair tab on the brakes. The mechanic that did the work said that there was way too much grease in there. He said he see's that all the time.

If you find that your braking power has lessened please go get them checked.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #13
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975
Update: After getting the brakes redone in "Q" we drove to Lake Roosevelt in AZ. There I re-torqued the rims. Well today going from Lake Roosevelt to Silver City, NM the tire from the fifth wheel left the drum as we approached Safford, AZ. This was the same drum that was over heated as it was the only brake working while the other three were full of grease. Some damage to the RV, (Don't know how much $ yet) and rim. We managed to find a new drum and installed it to get on our way. I would say that the studs lost there temper from the heat build up. Any thoughts out there?

Gary
Old 11-24-2010, 04:38 AM   #14
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Hi Gary; yes any time a drum overheats the studs do absorb that heat and it changes the characteristics of the metal tensile. I am surprised that when the studs were torqued; they did not strip out at 120 ft lbs if the tensile strength disappeared from the studs.
On large trucks; when changing drums, we always changed studs as a safety measure. We have had no problems yet with our 09 Monty but will be checking brakes. I went to heavier springs, LT tires immediately and changed out to wet bolts with new u-bolts and long nuts with heavy duty washers. We are in Las Vegas now and will eventually end up at Yuma in mid Dec.
Hope you don't have any more problems; all the best!!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:51 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Had the same issue with grease in brakes within the first year and Dexter paid for brake replacement.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #16
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975
Update:

While we are here in Silver City I decided to remove all the tires and the drums. I am just not feeling safe pulling this RV anymore. On one drum the seal and bearing stayed on the spindle.

There were signs of grease passing the seal and the seal has dents in it from installation.

Also they installed the wrong seal in Quartzsite when they did the brakes, as per the Dexter manual the seal that should be installed is the K71-305-00 - Fits Dexter 12 x 2" hub. 2.250 ID x 3.376 OD. What was installed was the K71-304-00 - Dexter 12 x 2" hub. 2.125 ID x 3.376 OD. I installed one National 412920 seal and three Chicago Rawhide 22532 seals as they are approved alternative seals by Dexter. I will be able to compare these alternate brands.
On another drum all was ok but it also was the wrong seal. The third drum the seal was installed crooked about 1/8" and also showed signs of grease passing.

The new drum that I put on in Safford had the right seal but I changed it out anyway with a Chicago Rawhide 22532. Now I know that the drive line on the RV is good and the rims are torque to 120 ft lbs. I don't know what the tire shops and rv dealers have torque them too. But my guess it was way too high. Anyway I am in contact with Dexter now and awaiting for there reply.

I would also like to ask the MOC members (if they would like to supply this information in detail) is, who all has had contaminated brake issues with there Montana's?

Gary
Old 12-01-2010, 08:35 AM   #17
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'd just like to point out another instance of sub standard workmanship out of service departments. Just throw whatever seals might be on hand and pound them in with a punch. I've been thru the same scenerio more than once with more than one service department. For those of us that have the skill and can ... it's better just to do it yourself. Again I'll state the general level of mechanical skill fades as each generation passes ... sad direction we're headed
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #18
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975
Update:

I have added pictures to the above posts.

I would reply to some of your posts, but I am sure you understand. I thank you for them.

We are here in Huachuca City and it sounds like Dexter is authorizing RV City here to change out both axles. They will inspect the springs, etc, to see if there is any damage to them and if so change out what is required. Also it sounds like they will replace the rim as there was damage caused by the drum/studs landing on the inside or the rim.

What I also found out here is that there is a recall on the Norcold fridges and that includes mine. You would of thought that, one of the dealers that I have been to or Keystone would have notified me of this serious recall. But it will take about 10 to 12 days to get the parts here.

I originally told Keystone that they could do the repairs (tire damage) in Pendleton when they look at my frame flex issue, but I have decided to get RV city to do the work here if Keystone authorizes it. As I need to stay to get the fridge fixed. Actually I will pay for it to get it done if required. I need to get at least one thing fixed on this rv. So that I can start enjoying my winter down here.

Keystone needs to seriously rethink who they are using to supply components to there RV's.
I have had problems with Dexter (seals/brakes), Norcold, Lippert (frame flex damage to bed closet), Who ever makes the tables (top split), couch (latch), blinds x 2 (string), cabinets (splinter), hot water tank gas valve (fail), carpet (staples), intervac (defective power outlet), shower surround (crack), TV lift (pinched power cord), Internal slide molding x 2 (coming off), 2 tire valves (leaking), 30amp slide breakers fail, remote reverse controls (wired wrong), slide adjustments done, black tank valve fail. Allot of this will be addressed at the factory, and I still have hope.

I know, I did expect allot of the above listed but Wowwa Weeza.

Later,
I still have high hopes, Gary
Old 12-20-2010, 10:39 AM   #19
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975
Update:

Well there is another recall, the transfer switch.
The list keeps growing.

We have spent three weeks here in Huachuca City and still no work done on the RV. It appears there was communication problem between Keystone not returning calls back to the dealer involving the axles. Well when I found that out I got answers from Dexter right away. Also no rv damage will get fixed as Keystone can not read e-mails. When one was sent to them to have the damage repaired here it got ignored. Even though I got a reply to have the dealer fill out the proper forms yada yada yada. So no parts got ordered or sent out. Now I have asked Keystone to solve this problem and get the new drums/brakes installed before Christmas as we want to get out of here. Ya like there going to be able to come up with a plan. It seems as soon as I back off to let people do there jobs, nothing gets done.
I also have let Keystone know that my file needs to be handed over to a Senior Manager as I have had it with them.
I try to be patient but I have never dealt with such shoddy service in my life. Not from just Keystone, but from every Dealer I have had to deal with from Canada down to here.

Oh, and why doesn't the so called number one RV manufacturer in North America have a 24/7 customer service number. It took them a week to reply to my tire rolling down the road incident.

And, next to do is contact Transport Canada and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Oh one more thing, the dealer here was telling me about all the Lippert frames that he has been reinforcing for customer at $6000.00 a pop.

Gary

Old 12-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #20
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
Good luck with Transport Canada. Seems they won't take action unless the country of manufacture has determined something is wrong. Welcome to the realities of the North American Free Trade Agreement. I expect there will have to be a major loss of life accident like an RV careening into a school bus before regulators wake up to the poor standards in the RV industry. I never really feel 100% confident towing my trailer. Maybe that is why I have turned into a nervous Nellie, checking everything twice. Now I am going to have to pull the drums and inspect the brakes even though I probably don't have more than 2000km on the trailer. I should have kept my motor home. At least half of it was covered by automotive standards.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote