Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bill, we just had dinner with Lonnie and Vanessa last Monday evening (week ago tonight). My impression is he does like the G614 but feels there are other options that perhaps don't cost as much. In fact, he helped me locate dealers for us to purchase the G614's when we were in California.

I went with the G614's because of their load range (G) and the total lack of problems when I researched them. Ours turned 20k miles while enroute to this rv park last week and have much tread left without a single problem. I'm sold on them. However, there may be other choices that are just as good for others. Not everyone needs the same tire. We run a bit heavy (15,610 lbs as we tow it) so need to make sure we have plenty of extra capacity.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #22
warren0620
Established Member

M.O.C. #12547
I too contacted Goodyear about my Marathons on my 2013 3402. They referred me to a dealer. Itook my unit to him. They are giving me $125 per tire and replacing them with G614's. I am paying the difference. I was worried all the way to Arizona and back this year after reading all the Marabomb reports.
warren0620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:58 AM   #23
gar&lin
Established Member

M.O.C. #12171
Thanks to Lonnie for the list of suggested tires. I replaced the Marathons on our 295RKD two weeks ago and decided to go with Duravis 250's. I did that based largely on Lonnie's preferred list, the info on this forum and the fact a local dealer recommended this as one of the best tires he had ever installed for trailering contractors/rvers.

One word of caution, I hung around at the tire shop when the install was happening. The young fella who was tasked with pulling the wheels off the rv placed the jack about 14" away from the shackle toward the center of the rv. I told him the only place I wanted him using a jack other than on the frame was directly under the shackles, not on the axle tube. He gladly complied on all 4 lifts.
gar&lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:04 AM   #24
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
He said he didn't care for Goodyear and def not G614's I didn't go into that.. but, his two top recommendations for MY RV and it's weight load would be any good quality LT tire with 10 ply and E rating with a highway tread. His top two choices were Mich XTS Rib and Bridgestone Duravis 250. I'm having/chosing to go thru Goodyear Customer Service. I'll have to purchase the 5 tires and pay for them.. including tax, balancing, etc. The tires will be returned to Goodyear and they will reimburse me based on tread used. Hopefully, they will be honest.

I'm replacing them with Goodyear Wrangler H/T. Still going to be over a $1k. Hopefully, I'll get about $600 back. I doubt it'll cover the CA tax.. but, at least I won't have to add the disposal fee to my bill

He said the good thing about going to an LT is that it is a passenger tire. They have to have a built in "protection" beyond trailer tires.. because they carry passengers.
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #25
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Looks like I need to clarify things a bit as there seems to be a little misunderstanding of my opinion of the Goodyear G614.

I don't really care for Goodyear Tires as a whole, but when it comes down to a 14 ply (load range G), the G614 is the best on the market. No other name brand manufacturer builds a 14 ply tire in the size LT235/85R16. The only alternatives are all China made unless you change size to a 7.50R16, in which case there is the Hankook F19 14 ply. This is an exceptional tire, very dependable and the size will work just fine, but it's only rated for about 3350 pounds at 125 psi if I remember right.

I hope this clears this up a bit, and I apologize for any confusion I have created.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:55 PM   #26
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Guess I got part of it wrong Got the rest of it right.. I hope
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #27
Marty79
Established Member

M.O.C. #12767
I've had Marabomb failure and put another set of Marabombs back on. Then I found about there poor service life. I contacted Goodyear ane they exchanged them and gave me full retail towards a set of G614's. I don't have many miles on the yet but, I'm heading out a 4000 mile trip in 2 weeks. We will see then.
Marty79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #28
cmyooynk
Established Member

M.O.C. #10224
Good thread. Don't you have to buy steel wheels in order to put 120# psi in the G614? What about the LTs....do you have to buy new wheels?
I had a Marathon with a huge sidewall bulge (inside sidewall), had it removed, drove to the GY dealer to see about adjustments. I told the mgr I wanted 4 new tires and somewhat reluctantly choose Marathons. The takeoffs were made mid 2009 and were on my new 347THT when I took delivery May, 2010. He went to bat with GY and they gave adjustment on all 4 of the takeoffs. I have a pin weight of 2460 and 9780 on the trailer axles. Your discussion certainly adds to my concerns.
Thanks, Darrell
cmyooynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #29
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
The Michelin ribs only require 80 psi, don't know about any other LTs so I can't comment on their pressure.
That is same pressure of the Marathons had so there is no need to change rims. As for the G614 your rims should be stamped with the pressure that they are recommended for.
mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #30
Marty79
Established Member

M.O.C. #12767
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cmyooynk

Good thread. Don't you have to buy steel wheels in order to put 120# psi in the G614? What about the LTs....do you have to buy new wheels?
I had a Marathon with a huge sidewall bulge (inside sidewall), had it removed, drove to the GY dealer to see about adjustments. I told the mgr I wanted 4 new tires and somewhat reluctantly choose Marathons. The takeoffs were made mid 2009 and were on my new 347THT when I took delivery May, 2010. He went to bat with GY and they gave adjustment on all 4 of the takeoffs. I have a pin weight of 2460 and 9780 on the trailer axles. Your discussion certainly adds to my concerns.
Thanks, Darrell
Darrell, I also have a 347 THT, If you have the 8 lug Aluminum wheels most likely they are rated to 110psi. It's easy to find the rating, it's cast on the inside of the wheel.
Marty79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #31
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
i'll always weigh-in on these threads when i think the dialogue is incomplete.
we get opinionated about CHINA-bombs, MARA-bombs, etc...goodyear..
i do not feel that we share enough information about:
1. Speed Rating
2. How fast we drive
3. Speed Rating
4. How fast we drive
5 Weight rating vs speed rating

the centrifugal force exerted on a tire has no respect for and pays no attention to weight rating, and is a stand alone factor in the destruction of tires.
If you free-spin a 65mph speed rated tire with no load, the centrifugal force will always want to "sling:" the tire apart at the same threshold speed.
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:11 AM   #32
mach111
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13142
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fauch

i'll always weigh-in on these threads when i think the dialogue is incomplete.
we get opinionated about CHINA-bombs, MARA-bombs, etc...goodyear..
i do not feel that we share enough information about:
1. Speed Rating
2. How fast we drive
3. Speed Rating
4. How fast we drive
5 Weight rating vs speed rating

the centrifugal force exerted on a tire has no respect for and pays no attention to weight rating, and is a stand alone factor in the destruction of tires.
If you free-spin a 65mph speed rated tire with no load, the centrifugal force will always want to "sling:" the tire apart at the same threshold speed.
Well said my friend. I have the same thought when drivers pass me running high speeds in any vehicle-cars included.
mach111 is offline   Reply With Quote