Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Storing glassware

I'm wondering what others do to store their glassware when underway. I have some wine glasses, not like heirloom stuff, more like Christmas Tree Shop-ish, but would like a more permanant solution to storing them instead of wrapping them up whenever we break camp. We have mostly plastic-ware, but wine just loses it's taste in a plastic 'glass'. I'm sure someone on this forum has come up with something I haven't thought of. Help me figure this one out and then we can move onto my pilsner glasses.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We have a basket that we purchased somewhere that just fits four stemmed glasses. They don't move about as they are lying on there sides with a dish towel between them.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
You know the little sleeves you put your canned drink in, don't know what they are called. I slip one over the drinking part of tha wine glass and store them with drinking part down. The insulation sleeve provides protection for the glasses. I put them in a shoebox in the cabinet, never had one to break.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
In the past we used a folding to go cup box from a fast food place. Got one that looked like a little box with four dividers in it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Yes, I've used the coozie idea with some success, but was hoping to come up with something like the little racks that you see overhead in pubs that hold the glass by the stem. Of course it would have to be modified a bit in a trailer with the swinging back and forth. This fifth wheel has so much storage, I can dedicate a cabinet shelf for this purpose. Just need a design. Thanks for your ideas. They're all possibilities.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
B&W Companion
Old 04-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
Carole
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12726
Hey, that's a really good idea. I would like something like that also. Surely someone on here can up with a good design. I think it would look really neat also. I like to buy a wine glass from each winery I visit. Will have to look into this as we have lots of cabinet space too.
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Try checking the archives search, or try the HOME page (look at top middle of the page, click)

Hover over "Members On the Net" tab at the top of that page.

Click "MOC Members Show & Tell"

Here is the direct link.

Not sure there is anything there, but, won't hurt to look.

I thought someone had done a hanging wine rack, but, cannot remember the details.

I just purchased some VERY inexpensive glasses, kept the box, store em there. So far, so good. If they break, they were INexpensive.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
CW sells 2 types of rack, one plastic, one metal. Inexpensive.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I agree with you wine and plastic just don,t mix. Used platic for a while and then just had to go back to real glasses. I made a wine glass rack to go under the kitchen cabnit. When we get ready to travel Karen just lays them on the couch and puts the throw pillow over them. Been doing this for 5 years now with out one broken glass.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:57 AM   #10
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
Hi,
We also travel with real glass wineglasses (and drinking glasses). We use one of those plastic shoebox Rubbermaid things with some old dish towels. We lightly wrap the glasses in the towels and one box holds about 4 glasses. It takes about one minute to wrap them, and we usually keep it all that way when traveling - easy to get each glass and rewrap.
Cheers!
subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:20 AM   #11
remhob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10257
Lynn built a wine and beer glass holder under the cabinet on the island. It works great and we have never had a glass broken, even on rough roads. That's not to say that none of the glasses have ever been broken, but not on the road, just by a butter fingers in our family.
remhob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
We use the box that wine glasses came in. Cut the box down a bit and volia. We have travelled about 25K with out a broken glass except for the ones I dropped.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sambam

Yes, I've used the coozie idea with some success, but was hoping to come up with something like the little racks that you see overhead in pubs that hold the glass by the stem. Of course it would have to be modified a bit in a trailer with the swinging back and forth. This fifth wheel has so much storage, I can dedicate a cabinet shelf for this purpose. Just need a design. Thanks for your ideas. They're all possibilities.
Do those wine glass holder box inserts come out so you could mount it somewhere in the rig, the ones you mentioned hold the glass by the stem? If so, is there some way a small square of velcro would stick on each side of the stem holder? If so, then a longer strip of velcro could be placed across those small pieces of velcro to hold the glasses in place while on the road. I'm not sure I'm making clear what I'm thinking.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #14
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sambam

Do those wine glass holder box inserts come out so you could mount it somewhere in the rig, the ones you mentioned hold the glass by the stem? If so, is there some way a small square of velcro would stick on each side of the stem holder? If so, then a longer strip of velcro could be placed across those small pieces of velcro to hold the glasses in place while on the road. I'm not sure I'm making clear what I'm thinking.
Now, we're getting somewhere. I've been thinking about this and velcro as well as small bungee cords (stretched between each glass) could be implemented into a design. It's all rattling around in my head right now (plenty of room), but there is something to work with.

B&W Companion
Old 04-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #15
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I made a box out of 1/4" plywood to store 6 wine glasses in and lined it with felt from a fabric shop . put the galsses in unside down, works great . it is fastened to a upper shelf so I have to put them away when traveling.
sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:23 AM   #16
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Wife uses bubble wrap and an empty cardboard wine case she picked up from Total Wines.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #17
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
I don't think those slotted thingies that hold wine glasses upside down by the stems would work well. The drinking parts would be free to rock back and forth against each other and probably break while traveling as the bases are tapered a bit on the top and not flat. Since we vend at a lot of wine festivals, we've quite a few from them and wineries. So far, we've kept them in cloth winery bags (compartments for four or six liter bottles), but I like sailer's idea of a felt lined box better and may make one of them.