Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
Retractable Boarding steps

Twice this trip I have crushed the retractable steps. It seems that I nail it everytime I enter a steep driveway from a level rode. Does Keystone offer a better set up or steps that retract higher. I always remove the steps and the spare tire to increase my height while traveling in Mexico but I don't want to start doing that to travel in the US.

Tony

tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Tony,
When we had the 2955 I scraped the steps a few times also. No damage though until I left them out and pulled out of my yard for a trip and curled them skyward on the gate post.

When I replaced those steps I found that the steps come in different riser heights. If you get a 7" rise vs the 8" rise you should be up a little higher. It also will make the first step higher off the ground.

If you do a search for 5th wheel steps you will find several choices out there including a 6" rise. The round nosed steps work just fine in place of the square nosed steps also.

Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Tony, maybe it’s just me, but it sure looks like the trailer is riding nose high? If it was level it’s possible you wouldn’t hit the steps
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
The 2955s are noted for dragging the steps, over the 4th of July I bent mine so bad leaving the camp site they wouldn't extend out until I bent them back some so we could make it home. Then I removed them off the unit and hammer and banged them back into shape. I've been thinking of talking to a welding shop and see if some sort of skid plate assembly could be fabed to give some protection. Until then I'm careful of dips in and out of service stations.

Michelle S.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:55 AM   #5
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
Tony,

Not sure but from the look of your rig in the picture, It looks like your truck hitch is too high for the 5th wheel, causing the stern to be lower than necessary. If you lower the hitch or raise the trailer without reducing the clearance at the truck bed rails too much, the rig would have more of a tolerance for hills and dips.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
When the picture was taken I was extremly over pressured on my airlift bags, I have reduced pressure making the trailer level but still nail the steps on extreme drive ways. Guess I will do a search for different sizes. Thanks for the inputs
tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We have a 2955 and have hit the steps a few times. this is a posting I put under Repair and Service category;
(Has anyone changed out the 3 step for a 2 step on their 2955. I have had to straighten out my stairs a few times. They seem to hang down to far and are easy to bend It doesn't take much of a drop to catch them. I was thinking of making a wooden step and carry it in the truck.)
I had a PM when We first bought our unit and that is what he did.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
Yeah, I still have to reinstall mine after tweaking them so badly they wouldn't move. Still have to tweak the brackets on the trailer. Next time I'll go for a two step and carry a platform in the rig somewhere.
If you tweak the stairs keep in mind you weren't far from dragging the rear cap.

Next trailer( yeah, right) will be a mid door.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote