Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Question Cracks in roofing material

While washing my roof this week I found some cracking in the roofing material near the front cap. I ran a piece of eternabond tape over it (it covered most of it) to hopefully protect it from getting worse. Is this considered normal wear and tear? I've only used Dawn to wash the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181119_142442-3.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	739.9 KB
ID:	2696   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181119_142446-3.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	719.7 KB
ID:	2697   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181119_144042-3.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	547.1 KB
ID:	2698  

Old 11-21-2018, 07:46 AM   #2
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I think I see the crack you are talking about. Never seen that before.
Just a bit of advice though. If you want to make sure it never leaks, clean up both the front and rear seams good and apply the tape over the entire seams. I also taped around the roof vents and skylight also. I also taped all 4 slides. Across the top, down the sides and across the horizontal joints on the sides.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:03 AM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
micro cracks in TPO membrane

I took a screen shot from your pic to try to blow up the view showing the micro-cracks. I found a lengthy article on a TPO membrane durability study and micro-cracks are mentioned - but it sounds like they are a function of aging and occur in the surface - not all the way thru the membrane. The study noted micro-cracks developing along areas where the installer had folded the membrane during construction, and the surface layer was stressed by the fold. It looks like your cracks occur along a roof edge where maybe the membrane was pulled tight during installation leaving an area under stress. I expect that these micro-cracks will show up in all of our roofs over time. Your solution to clean the area and apply eternabond (or similar) tape over the cracks seems appropriate.

By the way - most commercial TPO roofs are 60 mil thick membranes. I believe the membranes on RVs are 45 mils - but I have never found documentation to confirm that. For weight and cost - 45 mil is probably the right choice for RVs.

Link to the article...http://www.westernroofing.net/TPO_Report.html
And the blow-up detail of the pic - hopefully to make the cracks show up better...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-11-21_9-49-19.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	2702  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:27 PM   #4
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I believe there is a 10 year warranty on roof
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 06:55 AM   #5
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I took a screen shot from your pic to try to blow up the view showing the micro-cracks. I found a lengthy article on a TPO membrane durability study and micro-cracks are mentioned - but it sounds like they are a function of aging and occur in the surface - not all the way thru the membrane. The study noted micro-cracks developing along areas where the installer had folded the membrane during construction, and the surface layer was stressed by the fold. It looks like your cracks occur along a roof edge where maybe the membrane was pulled tight during installation leaving an area under stress. I expect that these micro-cracks will show up in all of our roofs over time. Your solution to clean the area and apply eternabond (or similar) tape over the cracks seems appropriate.

By the way - most commercial TPO roofs are 60 mil thick membranes. I believe the membranes on RVs are 45 mils - but I have never found documentation to confirm that. For weight and cost - 45 mil is probably the right choice for RVs.

Link to the article...http://www.westernroofing.net/TPO_Report.html
And the blow-up detail of the pic - hopefully to make the cracks show up better...
I am 99 percent certain that a 2011 unit does not have a TPO roof. It should be EPDM
Old 11-22-2018, 07:50 AM   #6
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
I would check and make sure the EPDM is glued down good at front of camper. The front section is like top of airplane wing and has a lot of lift going down the road. If front membrane balloons up every time it is pulled it will stretch. I have met units on highway and front of camper roofs looks like the a big blister. It will tend to pull roof from under front termination bar.
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:22 AM   #7
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Thanks for the comments. It is a EPDM roof on this model according to my paperwork. I was concerned about it ballooning too, but it does seem to be glued down pretty good. I'll have to keep an eye on it.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:30 AM   #8
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Easy way to check for ballooning is find stretch of highway you can legally pull camper at 55 MPH. Have observer look at roof as your passing them. Ballooning should be obvious. Observer could be in another vehicle coming toward you are parked on side of road.
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:49 PM   #9
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
EPDM cracks

I have been trying to find some definitive information on EPDM micro cracking or aligator crazing - and I found a mixed bag of information. I was hoping to find some studies from Firestone or Carlisle but got tired of looking. I found lots of stuff from membrane manufacturers that says EPDM will not crack..and I found just as much stuff that says it is a normal sign of aging and the solution is a rubber coating. Both sides have something to sell..."Buy my membrane - it is FANTASTIC"...or "My coating is a MIRACLE CURE!" I found lots of commercial roofing websites that said the only long term solution to cracking is to cut out the damage and patch in new membrane (yes - they are selling their roof patch service!)...which is not really a solution I would consider on my RV. I suppose if it was my roof I would read up on Dicor EPDM coating as a first defense to get some more years out of the roof.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:13 AM   #10
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
If you want to fix it forever, I have heard good things about the sprayed on roof coatings. They even come to your location and apply it on site. Its similer to line x bed liner. Cant remember the name right now. But it anit cheap, something like 6k a roof.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:39 PM   #11
fastf350ps

M.O.C. #22921
Thumbs down Every roof penetration compromised.

Drknapp: We found out the hard way that our roof was not waterproof! After it dried out, I went up and every elastomeric sealant application was compromised!! It looked like someone opened a cabin door or ran out some slides, and the low pressure created in the cabin sucked-in every application of the then-fresh elastomeric. Bad deal.

So owners of brand new Monty's, beware!

IMG_2644 (Tried to include a photo.)

2019 M. High Country 374FL
2009 F-350 Diesel
fastf350ps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:52 PM   #12
fastf350ps

M.O.C. #22921
How does one include a photo in their post??
fastf350ps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:43 AM   #13
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
EPDM roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknapp View Post
While washing my roof this week I found some cracking in the roofing material near the front cap. I ran a piece of eternabond tape over it (it covered most of it) to hopefully protect it from getting worse. Is this considered normal wear and tear? I've only used Dawn to wash the roof.
Dicor sent a rep for the maker of the EPDM to look at my roof which had some cracks as well as dark discoloration. They replaced the roof in as much as providing all material but I had to pay for labor. Mine was about 7 years old I think.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:53 AM   #14
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastf350ps View Post
How does one include a photo in their post??
Adding pictures on the MOC is not very difficult. There are a couple of sets of instructions which might help. Go to http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=70323 and read posts #8 and #25.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote