Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2010, 02:37 AM   #1
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
New Norcold Recall

Norcold has updated a recall to include more units.. Mine was effected, and I would think some if not many of your's will be also.

Here's the info: http://www.norcoldrecall.com/

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:40 AM   #2
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
thank you for posting this notice....I just learned that our Norcold is affected. I called Norcold and I am not very happy with them at the moment...they insisted I immediately turn off the fridge, I explained that I had just filled "said fridge" yesterday with about $100 of food and all they could say was put it in a cooler....when I said I didn't have a cooler....and would have to buy one they were so sorry! Well sorry doesn't pay for the problem....I stated I didn't think I should be out of pocket on a problem that was clearly theirs, all they could offer is another sorry....So if I don't shut off the fridge and something happens like my rig burns down they will not be liable......as I was told to turn it off. I am to call for service but they are not sure they will pay for the mobile call...the repair person would have to get permission from them......what if I hadn't read the forum??? The parts will most likely have to be ordered so I will be without a fridge for the weekend......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Did you receive the same scenario?????

Betty
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:54 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The recall notice talks about disconnecting from 110 and shore power. Wonder if it is okay to operate some of the units on Propane. I read where part of the recall list (older model gas absorption units) specifically addresses not using propane, but it is not specific about the newer models??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:16 AM   #4
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Bingo:

This recall is for the temperature sensor and you cannot use either source of power.

Betty
Old 10-29-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Yes and we did get the same results.. We are in Ocala, FL and while two of the RV dealers here have the parts on order, they will not be in for at least 10 days... What the hey? This affects thousands of RV's... Not just 5th wheels either. They put this notice on their web site but so far, none of us have officially received notice..

We are going to say some prayers and hope the part comes in before something bad happens to our fridge.. There is no way we can go 10 days without a fridge..

Helen
Old 10-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
You are absolutely right about this......unbelievable.....I called three rv places....heard back from only 1...he was very nice...we have to bring the rig in so they can check it out..there are apparently two parts involved and he said he would have to order the parts as well.
He is authorized by Norcold to do the repair...so we have an appt to bring it in on Tues to be checked, when the parts come in we have to pack up and bring it back. Didn't know about the 10 day leadtime for the parts......hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

I checked with my neighbors here and one has an affected motor home and just had his rig checked with no issues. The person at Norcold (supervisor...I did elevate it to no avail) said the recall was issued last Thursday!!!!!!!

So if we didn't find out about it here on the MOC I guess we just ride around with ticking time bombs........nice huh??????????

Betty
Old 10-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I think folks are a little edgy. Our Dometic refer was on a recall list for months before we had it fixed. Problem was it could overheat and cause a fire, A truck could run into us also and demolish the entire rig. That didn't happen either. I found out about the Dometic recall thru this website and called around to find someone to fix it. I got it fixed enroute as we are fulltimers. Some dealers seem to really like doing warranty work and others don't, just have to find one that has the parts, or is willing to order them before you get there. We would all like "onsite" service, but these things are mobile after all. I did call for onsite service when my water heater valve went out, out of warranty so I had to pay the service call. I took the part number down and had a guy bring one with him when he came. One call did it all......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Thanks for the post! I checked and my refrig is in the recall. Called the dealer to order the parts. Wonder why Norcold has notified all by mail?

Helen- how did you know about this problem?
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It includes my unit too. It is an inconvenience, particularly to find out at 4:00 PM on a Friday. Norcold is off the hook until they fix it because they warned me and have it recorded.

So my counsel is don't call them until you are in a place to get it fixed. We are moving cross country and can't do what is called for. As soon as we land in North Carolina, we can stop and attend to the issue.

Personally, I am glad to know as early as possible that a threat exists. The inconveniences associated with resolving it are what they are. I will chose to deal with the risk until I can reasonably resolve the issue.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Thanks for the info. MOC comes through again. Ours is on the list.
Dick and Sharon
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Thanks for the recall info. We just checked our 2011 3400RL and we're right in the middle of the recall. We'll be taking it back to the dealer next week.

I registered the fridge when we took delivery. I would have expected Norcold to notify us by mail or email. Not expecting us to find out on a forum.

Good job forwarding the info. That's a great benefit of this forum.

Walt
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:47 PM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I was hoping the 2011 models were not on the list, but I guess the date of manufacture of the fridge is what will make the difference. Guess I will be checking numbers tomorrow.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #13
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Thanks, Helen. Will check our numbers as soon as we get back to the rig.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:59 PM   #14
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
It is my understanding that the notice went out yesterday from Norcold.. Sorry I called too as they ask your name and once you give it to them they think they are off the hook...I sure wish they would have notified the dealers first so they could have the part in stock when we all started to panic. I heard it from a friend that did the same thing...Called NOrcold and were told to turn everything off right now or they would not be covered if anything happened... Norcold gave them a name of a dealer that had the part in stock but when they brought it in today to have it fixed, it was the wrong part. Since our park has at least five of us on this recall (and probably a lot more) we are hoping they will authorize a service call to the park. One way or another, whatever we have to do will be done as soon as someone gets the parts to fix it....

Helen
Old 10-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #15
komokoa
Established Member

M.O.C. #10191
Our Fridge is on the list also. Thank you MOC. We are on our way southbound and would never have known of the problem if we were not monitoring MOC

Cheers Ken
komokoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #16
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Sure glad I have an "OLD" Monte! Already had my Dometic Refrig recalled a year and a half a go. No biggy, just a plate placed on the outside of the unit to protect a line from overheating IF a fire should start! HUH??!!??
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:21 AM   #17
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
OK, just got a call-back from a Mobile RV Repair service I called yesterday, he's on his way home from vacation and was so helpful I cannot believe it....he gave me about 1000% more information than the Norcold folks. This is a problem mostly related to running your fridge on LP but over time will also happen with elec....seems there is a rusting issuing with the tube the temp sensor is in and over time will eat through and cause overheating and fire. Said if I run the fridge on elec should be ok til it's fixed....said the fridge will first shut down then put a NC code up (not cold) and sometimes you can re-set it. He said you should check in the back of the fridge and if you see some yellow goop running down on the right side and it smells like ammonia shut the power to the rig down that is the ignition source for a fire. He going to call Norcold on Monday to get authorization for the work said it's a few days to get parts. He also said this is a known problem and they attempted a fix it by adding some additional rust prohibitor but it is not working which is why more units are now involved......expanding the serial number range and the years from 1997 to 2010 mfg date.

Interstingly he said these refridgerators have an expected life of 5 yrs!!!!!! Anyway, thought you all might be interested in this information.

Thanks again, Betty
Old 10-30-2010, 06:59 AM   #18
komokoa
Established Member

M.O.C. #10191
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pbahlin

.......... This is a problem mostly related to running your fridge on LP but over time will also happen with elec....seems there is a rusting issuing with the tube the temp sensor is in and over time will eat through and cause overheating and fire. Said if I run the fridge on elec should be ok til it's fixed....said the fridge will first shut down then put a NC code up (not cold) and sometimes you can re-set it. He said you should check in the back of the fridge and if you see some yellow goop running down on the right side and it smells like ammonia shut the power to the rig down that is the ignition source for a fire.........Thanks again, Betty
Thats the info I was hoping to see
Thank You
komokoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #19
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
And the recall must include every fridge made, ours is on the list and the rig just came off the line at the end of September!!!
Bingo

Old 10-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #20
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Bingo:

All four models 1200 1201 1210 and 1211 are in the recall.....this involves many.....MH and 5ers etc......... I am praying we are going to be safe for a few days til the parts are ordered and received...we have only used the fridge for a total of 10 months......and mostly on elec this is rather sad that it's been ongoing guess they need to come up with a new method to run these.

Betty