Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2005, 04:47 AM   #1
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
Wheel Torque help

After reading about the importance of checking the torque of the lug nuts on the new 5er (3400RL), I went out and purchased a 1/2 inch click type torque wrench and socket.
As is my custom, I bought the wrong size socket (13/16), (didn't see any reference in the 5er owner manual). None of the local auto parts stores seemed to know the correct size and suggest I bring the nut or the 5er to them to look at. Seems a bit extreme to pull the 5er to Kragen's, (although the experience of navigating the parking lot would probably be helpful) and I can't remove the nut since I don't have the correct socket.

Would appreciate anyone with an '05 3400 advising me of which size socket they use......thanks

jp

jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 05:07 AM   #2
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
socket.

Would appreciate anyone with an '05 3400 advising me of which size socket they use......thanks

jp
------
Don't have a 3400 but...
I used a crescent wrench as a caliper to measure one of the nuts and then carried the measurement into Sears and picked out the socket. Works. While you are at it get a socket that fits the sacrificial anode in the water heater. It's in one of those places where the space is limited.
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:11 AM   #3
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
jpf:
I have a 05 3400rl and a 13/16 socket fits our lug nuts. I didn't try a metric for a better fit, so I'm not sure if a metric will fit it any better or not. The 13/16 does fit ours though. The anode rod nut on the water heater is 1 1/16" on mine.
Just a word of caution, if any of you ever have your wheels balanced, make sure you check to see what they torqued the lug nuts at when the wheels are put back on. The guy that did ours used a impact wrench and they were torqued at around 140 lbs or way more than the book calls for, which is I believe at 85 - 95 ft. lbs. Random line has a good idea using his cresent wrench for a size on the lug nuts. Also, if your wheels are like ours, you may want to get a i/2" extension 6" long, as the nuts are set in and with the torque wrench handle as long as it is, it may be rub the tire as you torque the nuts. I had too do this with mine to avoid rubbing my knuckles. Good luck on finding a socket and whatever else you need.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:43 AM   #4
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
Thanks for the tips, i'm on my way back down to the storage facility to check this out again. I have a cresent wrench there to use as a caliper. The nut, as I recall, seems to be a decorative type with a large rounded front face on it. Maybe its some sort of a cover...??
Old 06-03-2005, 12:25 PM   #5
thook
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3100
I have a 2005 3400RL and just torqued the wheel nuts this week. It is definitely a 13/16 socket.........after you take off the silly little plastic nut covers!. Instructions on the wheel said to torque at 90 - 120 ft/lbs. Mine were there....and some..
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 04:21 PM   #6
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the info I think I will need the right size socket for my torque wrench.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 02:36 PM   #7
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
Still confused over lug nut size. The 13/16 definitely did not fit. I used a cresent wrench as suggested to size the nut and it looked like 15/16 at the auto store. Bought that and it fits although a tiny bit loose. Perhaps 7/8th's would be a snugger fit.
As suggested also I checked to see if the larger nut was some sort of cap, but it wasn't, it's hard chrome metal, tapped with the wrench and attempted to remove it with wrench also.
Don't know why this 3400 would be any different than the others posted here, ????, went back to the "as equipped" sheet from the Dealer and note they mention on the options list, "Aluminum Wheels". Could it be that the Aluminum Wheels make the difference in lug nut size...?
jp
Old 06-05-2005, 08:18 AM   #8
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jpf

Still confused over lug nut size. The 13/16 definitely did not fit. I used a cresent wrench as suggested to size the nut and it looked like 15/16 at the auto store. Bought that and it fits although a tiny bit loose. Perhaps 7/8th's would be a snugger fit.
Sorry I'm jumping in here a little late. I also have the aluminum wheels and my lug nuts are 7/8.
I use a craftsman 7/8 deep socket with a 3" extension to torque my wheels.

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 01:47 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'd bet the decorative nuts are the 7/8 Ken mentioned. I just retorqued ours several times on our trip from Goshen to Independence (arrived today) so still had the torque wrench in the back seat of the truck. Ours are the standard 13/16, same as automotive. We have the older Alko axles and steel wheels, though.

If I may make a suggestion, retorque the lugnuts every 50 to 200 miles until they won't tighten any more to the specified torque setting. On ours that means three or four retorquings. Also, don't overtighten them. I've found when I tighten too much I start getting that loud squalling of the brakes.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote