Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2023, 02:25 PM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Nirvana Report - 2 weeks in

Continuing my Nirvana saga, my gig as a camp host at Pilot Mountain State Park in North Carolina is going along just fine. There's not been much change since last year, but I'm dedicated myself to make my stay here to most productive I've ever been.

I'm keeping very busy, putting in a lot of effort and time. But also having a great time doing it. There's absolutely nothing like working in a nature environment, pretty much, whatever I want to do at my own pace. My pace is pretty fast and pretty furious for an old guy.

My weight is coming down again, but walking up and down this mountain campground 5 to 10 miles every day will do that to anyone. It's pretty humid with heat index at 95 degrees, although the actual temps are around 88 in the day time.

I suppose, after sitting at a computer terminal punching computer software code and finding it's flaws for over 25 years, eating like a pig, and doing nothing but gaining weight all that time paid it toll on me. I now feel healthier and more energetic than I ever have in my life. It's amazing what hard physical activity will do for one's health!

It's not all work though. I do have plenty of time for playing also. Lots of hiking, eating, site seeing, and relaxing too.

I'm doing my best to pay very close attention to the camping guests, helping them wherever I can, and assisting with anything they need (to the best of my ability and within range of my position as a Host... that is). It's hard NOT to get personal with some of these camping guests. So many are such great people.

Not all is work. Here's some photos of the last 2 weeks.

I'm made some new friends:

We've had some great "down time."

My 2 doggies are my companions and faithful assistants. They go with me everywhere:

The campsite itself is in an odd position, but it works, and once on site, works pretty well. However, the challenge was the sewer hook up. The ONLY hookup site in the park is the Host Site. After being here last year, I was better prepared this year to get those sewer hoses hooked up so I didn't have to "walk" them ever time I emptied tanks. Lots of boards from home and lots of lumber laying around the host site that other hosts have used and left behind for the same purpose. This year, I was prepared. The problem is, the sewer connection is higher than the parking pad. But, I did make a down-hill slope. It works well now. I zip tied the hoses so they won't move.

View of Pilot Mountain (the big Pinnacle) from "down below":

View from the top:

I'll be here 6 more weeks. The only problem with this job is, time is moving too fast. I could spend the rest of my life here, if only "they" would let me!

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 02:34 PM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Enjoy your time there and keep posting.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 05:59 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Thanks for sharing. We have or had a Hawk like your haven’t seen it in several months. I have several pictures of it on my phone. I think it’s a Coopers Hawk. If it’s something else let me know.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 10:25 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
When I first arrived at Pilot Mountain, I made the statement that "This mountain will either make me stronger or it will kill me." After 25 days of walking up and down this mountain, walking between 5 and 8 miles ever day, I think it's finally making me stronger! I ain't gonna die!

This morning I did another 5 (plus) mile hike with a change in elevation of about 600 feet. The total hike took a little over 3 hours. I left the campground and started up Grindstone trail, turned onto Ledge Spring trail (which is the trail that is along the rock climbing section of the park, and pretty rugged) and came out at on the Jomeokee Trail, back through the upper Pinnacle parking lot and by the overlooks, and caught the Grindstone trail at the top to go back all the way to the campground. Total walk, 5.5 miles. I did take a really good rest at the top, (the parking lot and overlooks area).

My two doggies did the entire walk with me. The new one is only 4 months old. He climbed those rocks and rock steps like a pro. Only the deepest steps did I have to lift him up to get over. (He's only about 5 inches tall.)

Here's some photos from this morning "walk."

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 10:39 AM   #5
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Looks like you're having a great time Dutch. Enjoy!
Old 07-25-2023, 04:33 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Beautiful place. I love it.
It looks very similar to places where we live.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 07:07 AM   #7
JamesDean334
Established Member

M.O.C. #32532
Be careful around Three Bears Gulley! If I was the one walking on those trails, given my decrepit knees, they'd likely have to change the name to "Three Bears and an Old Man Down There Somewhere Gulley". Safety First, or third, or wherever you can make it fit. Beautiful place. Enjoy!