Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
Ronthecanadian
Established Member

M.O.C. #17882
Medical issues Canadian full timers

The previous post, got me thinking of how Canadian full timers deal with the medical issues. My question is how to travel in Canada full time during the summer, and spend 5 months in southern climates. Considering the provincial restrictions of spending 6 months in home province to maintain health coverage. Noting that travel insurance outside of Canada is required. Does anyone purchase supplemental insurance to cover in Canada travel?

Ronthecanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Ron I can't answer your question but can you tell us a little about your health coverage?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #3
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
Some provinces do allow you to be out of province for 7 months. So far most of our extended trips have been to the US but next year we will be spending at least 2 months out of Manitoba and plan to get travel medical coverage. So far the cost of the insurance is not prohibitive however I may have to investigate this further as I hit a higher age bracket or have a pre-existing condition.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #4
Ronthecanadian
Established Member

M.O.C. #17882
Lynwood, in Canada each province has its own plan. They have slightly different coverages. Basically, medically necessary services provided by a qualified doctor. Medically necessary services provided in a hospital including meals,drugs,procedures and public wards (semi/private rooms are extra) Eye exams under 20 years/over 65. Ambulance services ($45.00 co-payment if not originate at medical facility That also include air ambulance. If required. Home care/long term care may be covered based on patient need. Mammograms for women over 50 or if referred by doctor as a special risk. Midwife services. Drug benefits for over 65 years of age.
Other services dental,paramedicals(message/naturopaths/chinos etc are not covered. Those are via supplemental insurance. Hope that explains our systematic bit. Canadians can get medical help anywhere in the country, provinces transfer funds to cover. May cost a slight amount depending on each province max fee per procedure.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #5
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
First off, I am a us citizen so don't know all the ins and outs of your exact coverage, but your statement that your province doesn't pay for medical when you are out of country isn't exactly correct. We go to Mexico and have lots of Canadian friends they tell me that their country does pay for some medical care outside of their country.
here is a website: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi...ip/travel.aspx
I was told a story last winter about canadian's mom who wasn't able to get an MRI for her headaches in a timely fashion, so she went to the states and went into the emergency room and told them that she fell and hit her head and now has headaches and they immediately did an MRI and her province paid for it. Interesting I thought.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #6
Ronthecanadian
Established Member

M.O.C. #17882
Eddie, you are correct that Canadian provincial health coverage does pay for out of country service, up to what is paid for the same service in that Province. Canadians require supplemental insurance to cover the difference. So yes if one travels to another country, we would be reimbursed if that medical procedure is covered here.
My original question is for other Canadian fulltimers as to whether supplementary insurance is common for extend travel in other provinces (not remaining in home province for 6-7 months as required). Noting that purchasing out of country insurance for the 5 months is necessary.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:35 PM   #7
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
We have traditional medicare plus a supplemental "medigap" policy through my former employer. It covers us wherever in the world we go. So far the current administration has not been able to destroy that part of our system, but that could change in a heart beat!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:18 PM   #8
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
Ron
Cover Me from Manulife is one such insurance product you might look at for extended travel within Canada and outside your home province. Dont forget that you may have to re-establish residency upon your return to your home province before prov medical coverage is available to you. In BC its 60 days plus the number of days remaining in the month of your return. (If out of prov for more than 7 consecutive months)
If your travel plans noted above are one time only, some provinces, like BC, allow you to extend the 7 months, I think once every 5 yrs, you can request a longer 'out of province' holiday travel time without losing your coverage.

-Steve
sapest is offline   Reply With Quote