Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2016, 01:56 PM   #21
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dmcgrew

I am also interested in the hand shake, so far I believe it may have something to do with a glass of wine, or maybe even a bottle!!
Has anyone got information on what is better for Texas residency vs South Dakota?
One thing I learned... Check all things to compare

1. Insurance cost. Supposedly for several it is cheaper in SD
2. Inspections.. Texas... Yearly I believe or as soon as you return to Texas state line.
No inspections in SD

For us we chose Americas Mailbox in Box Elder, SD. 7 years.

Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #22
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Full time

Now that's where my wife and I disagree. She wants to sell our house when we go full time. Me I would rather rent it out. Then we still have a house to come home to should our health take a turn for the worse. And with the rent prices where they are, that's a good amount of income every year. But I've never been a land lord and I've heard the stories. But still a tuff decision. Were in our mid fifties. We should be full timing in the next year maybe two. So by the time we're say 65 we might not be able to carry on like now. I hope so, but if not I would feel alot more comfortable knowing that we have a house to go back to.
Mel
Old 03-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #23
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Unhappy

I am sure you had heard the stories of being a landlord and I can tell ya from doing it TWICE it SUCKS! both houses got trashed by tenants, late paying rent etc.. even doing background checks like we did did not save us, Your call Mel but good luck to ya Now we are Fulltiming for the last 6 years and not a care in the World and Life is Good!
Old 03-04-2017, 07:03 PM   #24
Rick G
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19030
Ditto on what bigskyjimmy said, we lost our tales on a house in Florida from renting it out. We had a deposit from the tenant, but that didn't make a dent in the home repair costs let alone the month of rent that we lost from the tenant taking off. Every room in the house had to have new floor coverings and paint. Good luck finding the right tenants.
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:30 AM   #25
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
We never really considered renting our home out when we began full timing. Like others I had some experience with renters and didn't want to go through it again. We wanted to be free and clear to just travel. As it turned out it was good that we had sold our home and most of our "stuff" because after less than 3 years we found a house in SW Florida we couldn't pass up. My vote would be to full time without owning a home. No matter if your home is paid off or not, why keep paying property taxes and insurance, or dealing with renters and upkeep. There will always be another home out there, and who can predict there exact home needs 10 years from now, or even 3 or 4 years from now?
JandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:00 PM   #26
RetdAFEng

M.O.C. #19582
Welcome to the world of wanderers.

We have done the same thing in January of this year. Here is hoping that you enjoy your travels meeting new friends on your way.
RetdAFEng is offline   Reply With Quote