Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2004, 02:38 PM   #1
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242

Why the sudden need for an "exclusive" forum? I was wondering what prompted the security measures? Al Queda?

I was kinda surprised to see this. I know many other forums have "members only" areas but these are generally pay forums and contain some info that the powers that be of those forums feel is privledged info.

Just wondering,

John

NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 03:10 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We were sad to see this development as well, as Al likes to read the forum while I am in research libraries. He never signed in, just went to the site and read to his hearts delight, not leaving behind any passwords, etc on a public computer.

Also felt it was a great "sales" point to our forum, that visitors could read, study and then decide if they wanted to become a member of our fine group!

Must be a good reason tho, cause as testified in many posts, the admins seem to be doing a great job here at MOC.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 05:08 AM   #3
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I would like to see an "official" answer just to quiet any possible rumors.

John
Old 11-02-2004, 07:50 AM   #4
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
I myself like it because I hate to know that people are out there "lurking" and not participating. We already have that with a lot of the members but at least they are members.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 09:04 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We are seeing a sudden increase in the number of new members each day. I'm thinking that's at least partially due to those who used to read without becoming members now having to become members to read. At least that makes me think they like the forum. I wonder how many members we're up to now?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:01 AM   #6
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Melissa, I know what You mean by "Lurking" but many times once a question has been answered there is really no need to say the same thing again and again. I know many like to add their 2 cents but often the same thingis said post after post and it almost seems like people are typing just to get a post. Maybe they are trying to catch up to the number of steve's posts

John
Old 11-02-2004, 12:45 PM   #7
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
For all those "inquiring minds" that just have to know...... And to "quiet" any rumors. I'm not sure what that statement is referencing... The primary reason for the "log in" change is a bookkeeping thing. Perhaps the poster wouldn't mind sharing and clarifying the "rumor" reference.

Actually it is a way to prevent inactive members from clogging up the data base. For your information we have trimmed about 200 or so inactive members from our rolls. We still have approximately 600 to 800 more that we are working through. By requiring a member to "log in" we will cut down greatly on the inactive members. This will show a much more representative member count and a more manageable data base to deal with.

We do not feel that requiring a log in is asking too much of a member. Many boards have such a requirement.

MOC Administrators
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 01:21 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Many boards have such a requirement.
I beg to differ. I frequent about 35 different RVing and Fishing forums/message boards. Some of which I am an active or semi-active contributer and don't mind logging in. But there are many where I just like to browse (lurk?) through the messages and not one of those message boards requires me to log in just to read the threads that interest me.

Quote:
quote:I myself like it because I hate to know that people are out there "lurking" and not participating.
Logging in does not stop the lurking.
Logging in does not require someone to participate.

Logging in will not make an inactive person active and therefore the inactive active will now clog the data base.
In my opinion logging in accomplishes nothing but that is just my opinion.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 01:40 PM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Well, I am gonna go out on the limb here,

What leaves a bad taste in my mouth about logging on just to read, is that it could leave the impression that we have something to hide, or even worse yet, it would appear that we are elitist. We all know that both of these are not representative of our membership at all!

I tend to agree with Glenn, if we make em sign on to just read, they will sign on, take an ID, read, and then if they are not interested, just disappear. We could end up with as many or more "missing in action" members than we have now.

Now, how bout some sun this week here in Michigan, we need to get that 3295RK winterized (oh, what a horrid thought, winter!)

Carol
Old 11-02-2004, 02:09 PM   #10
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
No rumors yet but probably coming. Just wanted an answer in case it comes up in other sections.

John
Old 11-02-2004, 02:46 PM   #11
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Thanks John,
Keep us informed. We're simply trying to make this forum the best.

RVWheels
Old 11-02-2004, 05:01 PM   #12
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
---- Quote ----
"What leaves a bad taste in my mouth about logging on just to read, is that it could leave the impression that we have something to hide, or even worse yet, it would appear that we are elitist. We all know that both of these are not representative of our membership at all!"
---- End Quote ----

Something to hide?! Elitist?! Wow! That really seems to be jumping to conclusions.

Look folks... no one is forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to do. If it is too much trouble for you to log on to read what your fellow MOCers have written and want to share; then you don't have to do so.

We are just trying to administer the forum. We will try whatever it takes to make the forum continue to be one of the best of its kind. If something does not work then we will take that into consideration and try to fix it. We are trying to fix a problem that you would not normally even be aware of.

You asked what the reasoning was and we told you. It could be that this fix will not work. If it doesn't we'll change it.

Thank you for your concern.

MOC Administrators
Old 11-03-2004, 12:05 AM   #13
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
RVWheels - Well said! Many forget or don't realize there is a behind the scene administration which focuses on the management/control, user access, capacity and performance factors pertinent to this site. Your knowledge, operational requirements and technical performance has kept this site efficient and responsive to the user community. The user base needs to understand - as a system grows there is a need to tune, adjust and implement change to effectively manage and maintain the system. Please understand, we do appreciate the fine work that has kept this site so responsive and functional. Thank you for all your behind the scene efforts.

steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 02:06 AM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
RVWHeels,

Not too much trouble to sign on, and not jumping to conclusions, exercising my voice and my opinion. Personally I sign on every time, but Al did not, his choice, now not a choice. I also believe in freedom of the press??

No, I have no idea of what it takes to administer this forum, except that I do know it has to take a HUGE chunk out of the admins lives and time. I admire anyone who goes over the limit for something they love!

Ya know, we have said here on the forum a number of times, not everyone will like the changes the admins deem necessary. OK, so, this is one of those times I don't like the changes. Obviously you feel differently, and are not afraid to say so. I'm not either, I don't care for "closed" forums.

Now, I am gonna go format about 10 books for the local genealogy club, which is one of my volunteer jobs that I am dedicated to and give hundreds of hours a year to. So, you see, I understand your "love" of the forum, cause I have a "love" of my own.

I appreciate the opportunity to have my say, and express my concern over this recent change, thank you for listening.

Carol
Old 11-03-2004, 02:23 AM   #15
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
"Look folks... no one is forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to do. If it is too much trouble for you to log on to read what your fellow MOCers have written and want to share; then you don't have to do so."

Speaking of leaving a bad taste..... Surely this is an over reaction. Why don't we all calm down and realize we are all on the same side, and especially that we appreciate those who work so hard to make this the great forum it is.

To voice a difference of view is not inconsistent with such appreciation. Let's keep open to each other.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 02:29 AM   #16
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Now, just to express one of those differences. I do not mind logging in, now that I am a member. In fact, it is no trouble at all. I like it. BUT... I must say that I probably would never have become a member if I had not been able to visit the forum and read some of the very interesting and helpful topics, and begin to get acquainted with some of the fine folks who are regular contributors. That gave me the opportunity I needed to decide that I wanted to become a member. It is this aspect of the change that I am concerned about. It is OK with me now, but it would have made a big difference to me BEFORE I joined.

Thanks for listening to another point of view. And I recognize that there may be far more important issues than the one I have expressed that require the new policy.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 02:30 AM   #17
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
This is odd. I do not have to log on. Nothing for me has changed.
Now saying this, I will probably be required to log on the next time I visit.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 02:42 AM   #18
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
Carol, did you logout the last time you were on the forum? If not, then you are still logged in the next time you bring up the MOC.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 02:59 AM   #19
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Gee! I am here so much I never log out.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 03:51 AM   #20
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
I agree with prairiepoodle, I never log out either. LOL I love this forum and am more than happy to see it is closed so we can be more open with those people we consider friends and not have to worry about someone sitting out there watching what you are doing and then trying to target you. There are too many bad people in the world (not that a member couldn't be) but it just makes me feel better. Just my opinion.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote