Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2004, 03:45 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Savannah, GA, recommended rv parks?

We're thinking of spending January and February in Savannah, GA. We don't want our Montana to be subject to the salt air by being too close to the ocean but we also don't want to be so far inland we get too much freezing weather.

We want to spend some time exploring Savannah and surrounding areas.

We like quiet parks although we've gotten used to trains and can pretty well deal with that, unless it's too bad. We like to have a little space, not crowded in like most KOA's. Wi-fi (at reasonable cost) or instant phone would be ideal.

I know we're pretty picky but if we're going to spend two months there...

Would appreciate thoughts, good or bad, about rv parks in that area, say within 25 miles of Savannah, even if they don't have instant phone or wi-fi.

Thanks.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 04:18 AM   #2
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Steve we were in Savanna 3 or 4 years ago and stayed at skidaway state park, we had some friends that were voluntering there and had done so for about 5 years and he said his hose only froze up one time and when the sun came out the ice melted quickly, any way your close to the water but don't have to worry about the saltwater and it stays warm enough that you won't worry about freezeing, I also believe there is a campgrond on Tibie Island not sure if it is a state park or not. Steve if you have not been there its a nice area we really enjoyed our stay while we were there. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 04:24 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve, We have stayed in the area, and cannot remember the park, or the goodies they have, it did have smaller sites tho.

However, did stay in Statesboro Georgia for a week, I think only one park there, they are attached (sorta) to a hotel. Grassy sites, full hookups, level sites, not sure what they might have about wifi, etc.

I was doing research in the library at Statesboro, (my great great grampa was born there), so proximity to library was more important to me than wifi, etc. And, this was in 2001 and believe me, the availability of wifi and internet and such is much different now than it was then. That year I did ALL my internet/email, etc IN a public library. The next year, 2002, I was in public libraries near major towns (Norfolk Virginia is a major town, don't cha think??) and they had no internet at ALL! Hard to believe, BUT TRUE!

Anyway, the place in Statesboro, I thought was very pleasant and rather quiet at that time of the year (mid January).

We did have some chilly weather tho. Had to keep the warm clothes handy, no shorts weather. As much as I love the area, and Savannah too, it can be rather cool and of course, damp!

After the Rio Grande Valley last winter, I am not sure I will get back to Georgia in January or February ever again! Need to get back tho, have some more research to do there.

Re-reading this post, I see, it is not much help. Sorry. You will love the area tho, it is beautiful. Drive up to Charleston and be sure to visit at least one of the plantations in Charleston area! They are fab!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 06:15 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks to both of you. We will check those places out. We can handle cool, just not a lot of freezing weather. We'll get enough of that here in the KC area in Nov and Dec! I downloaded a directory with "58648 hotspots in 43557 locations" listed will help me figure out the wi-fi situation. I also could just call and ask as well as check their websites, where available.

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote