Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2013, 04:29 AM   #1
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Hey Keystone. We Have A Problem. Sony DZ170 Stereo

In our 2013 3725RL, it came equipped with a 2012 Sony TV and a 2012 Sony DZ170 Home Theater System (HTS). During our PDI, the surround sound (ss) speakers did not work. The dealer's tech and I went through the setup and reset process and the speakers still did not work. Finally, the tech switched the ss speaker wires and the system worked. We crossed it off the punch list and moved on. Took delivery and went home.

On our first camping trip, the ss speakers did not work. I switched the ss speaker wires and the unit worked. After spending hours on the telephone with a Sony tech in Manilla, I gave up and took the RV to my dealer to have my Sat. dish installed. While there, I had them try to fix the Sony under warranty. They were unsuccessful and ordered a replacement HTS.

Picked up my replacement unit, which was the same model, but a 2013 unit. Took it home and hooked it up and the same issue. No ss speakers. Went through the setup again and still the same problem. However, I did discover that I did not have to "switch" the ss speaker wires, only unplug them and then plug them back into the same connection and the ss speakers worked.

The ss speakers fail to work when power is lost to the HTS. Every time we unplug the camper and then plug the RV back in, the ss speakers fail to work. Unplug the ss speaker wires and plug them back in and the ss speakers work.

I believe that the unit, when unplugged, loses its ss speaker connection and by unplugging and plugging the ss speaker wires back in, the ss speakers are activated.

Looking for answers. Anyone have the same problem? Or others with this HTS, is yours working OK?

Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
So far ours works well. We did buy a Sony TV at home and had some problems in the beginning. Reprogrammed twice with tech on phone. Sony sent new unit, problem solved.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Larry,
Do you have the same Sony Home Theater System?
Old 10-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Captain Joe

Larry,
It is a Sony system , I haven't see the number on thee sound system. I will look and get back to you.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Captain Joe

Larry,
Ours is a BDVE2100 Sony
Old 10-03-2013, 02:42 AM   #6
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Maybe Keystone has discovered the same problem and switched units. Phone calls and emails were just sent to my dealer and Keystone. Thanks, Larry.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #7
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Contacted Keystone and they are going to contact Sony and look into the issue. They did not want to spend anymore warranty dollars at the local dealership trying to find out what is wrong when two units are creating the same problem. Very nice conversation. I will keep ya'll up-to-date.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Now that's annoying. Hope they come thru for you!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:17 AM   #9
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Actually Dick I understand. Two techs from two dealerships, plus Sony tech support all concluded that my unit was bad. Unit replaced and new unit does not work. I do not blame them for putting Sony on the hook. This was discovered during PDI and follow up service, so we are well within the warranty period. Maybe unit will be replaced with Larry's unit, which works for him.