Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Turbocat 8695 problem

I have a Turbocat turbine powerhead, model 8695, that has performed beautifully for 2 years. Recently, I noticed that the roller brush assembly/beaterhead wasn't turning as fast as it used to turn; sometimes it didn't turn at all. If I lift the head off of the carpet, it will start turning again, but usually turns quite slowly as though it were in a bind. I've cleaned it after every use, so there's never been any hair, thread, or other material binding it. I've also removed it to check that nothing was binding it on each end where it slips into the head. The turbine intake nozzle is clean of dust, dirt, or other debris. The cleaning hose, the bag where dirt collects, and the filter are clean and unblocked (just replaced them to see if that would help the problem). When I take the Turbocat off of the hose, the "pickup suction" from the hose by itself or with another attachment is strong. Obviously, the problem is with the Turbocat head itself.

What should I check next to see why the roller brush assembly/beaterbrush isn't turning? The only thing I can think of is that the belt might be loose, but when I checked the tension on it, the belt seems to be very snug around the shaft support. I'd order a new belt (if I knew where to get one) to see if that was the problem, but the instruction booklet that came with the Turbocat clearly states "It is recommended that this procedure be performed by a Qualified Service Technician." I've contacted H-P Products to see where I could locate a qualified technician, if everything else I try to do to fix the problem fails.

Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Unlike electrically driven beater bars, yours works using a turbine and the suction of the vacuum. There will be bearings in the turbine and bearings in the ends of the beater bar, any one or more of these may be going or gone. They also use a serpentine drive belt, it is possible but unlikely that cogs have been stripped off the belt (not likely).

Something is binding, whether it is a bearing or something in the turbine housing that is causing it to not turn freely. Of course my DW would have me taking it apart since neither of us have much faith in "Authorized service centers".

Sorry can't be of more help, but I would be looking to see how difficult it is to take apart and go from there.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Check to see if you have a restriction in the hose part of the head.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I had to clean the shaft that runs the beater bar. It gets filled with dust and hair,etc. It will slow it down. You can clean it up yourself. Just make sure the o-rings are clean when you put it back together
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Ray & Pam (RPHoward) had the same problem last year. Dog hair gets up inside the assembly and causes resistance. You have to disassemble the head. There are a handful of screws that hold it together. Watch out for the springs/spacers on the brush bar. They ride in channels and when you pull the head apart, they want to move. Take care when separating the pieces and note how it all fits together. Then it will be easy to put it back together.

If all else fails, keep the pieces and bring them to 7 Feathers next year. We can have a session on repairing TurboCat head units.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'm with Jim it really sounds like a partial restriction in a hose.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote